Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #31
TUF-640

not sure if its the angle of the picture but that left spring doesnt look like its in there correctly (shock looks too far forward)
i doubt theres anything with it, im most likely seeing things :P

Project: 2001 AU II Fairmont Silhouette | Optioned 17" Tickford wheels + Sports suspension | Tint

Weekender: 1989 NA II Fairlane - Rosewood | Standard (with functioning SLS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware

Just remember gents, anyone can follow fashion, but it takes someone with real class and finesse to have Style.
TUF-640 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 01:38 AM   #32
kcej
2mny projects 2 lttl time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF-640
not sure if its the angle of the picture but that left spring doesnt look like its in there correctly (shock looks too far forward)
i doubt theres anything with it, im most likely seeing things :P
I don't think you're seeing things, theres no way that passenger side shock and or spring are where they should be
Yet the damage is on the driver's side isn't it?

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by kcej; 03-05-2010 at 01:45 AM.
kcej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #33
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby1
This may be useless info, but i had same problem when i had upper control arms replaced in my el xr8 by pedders. Turns out they have a remanufactured upper control arm that has a slight bend in it, problem solved. And they fixed it for free so still happy.
Have the uppers been replaced before?

Al
Uppers have not been replaced since I've had it, but that's very interesting though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
do you have bump stops still fitted?
I haven't checked, but I have not removed them, so I'd assume so. Will check that out shortly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcej
I don't think you're seeing things, theres no way that passenger side shock and or spring are where they should be
Yet the damage is on the driver's side isn't it?
Right on both counts, it does look too far forward doesn't it? The spring is definitely trapped, could very well be because only the drivers side of the car is jacked up very high?

And yes, the damage is on the drivers side..

It started off as a slight clunk over harsh bumps and developed into a big bang over all bumps... The roads around me are dodgy as, so it's pretty damn annoying..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #34
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

check to see if the arms are in the same hole, side to side

the xr arms are slightly shorter/longer (can't remember) to fix the angle of the diff for the lower setup.

2 things have happened imho:
they are not in the same holes, fouling the geometery or you have one standard arm vs one xr arm

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #35
MAD
Petro-sexual

For Tickford suspension vehicles (EL & AU) the arms should be 340mm between centres and should have the kink in them to clear the diff, they should be located in the rear most hole on the diff.
For standard suspension (EL & AU) the arms should be 320mm between centres and are straight, they should be mounted in the front hole on the diff.

XE-EF rear suspension upper arms are 340mm between centres, but they dont have a kink in them, the diffs in these vehicles were never supplied with a different mounting point.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #36
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
For standard suspension (EL & AU) the arms should be 320mm between centres and are straight, they should be mounted in the front hole on the diff.
from memory I was sure all the AU ones have the kink, they all start and finish in more or less the same place.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #37
MAD
Petro-sexual

All Nolothane documents refer to 'std' and 'Tickford' height. They dont mention if they are kinked or not though.

http://www.nolathane.com.au/bulletins/Update%200303.pdf
Old 03-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #38
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
All Nolothane documents refer to 'std' and 'Tickford' height. They dont mention if they are kinked or not though.

http://www.nolathane.com.au/bulletins/Update%200303.pdf
It was just that you mentioned they were straight. I am not nitt picking but if Cam was to look under and look for a straight one he'd be disappointed :P Even when you lay the XR one ontop of the stocker it is hard to see. Cam you might be able to measure the arms with some string, other wise removing them for a side by comparison is the only way.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #39
MAD
Petro-sexual

Ahh, no worries. I know for certain the 320mm EL upper arms are straight, I just assumed AU was the same as there's no need for the kink at std height.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:18 AM   #40
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Did the knocking occure while just driving along the road, or slowing down/speeding up?
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #41
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

So does it have bump stops fitted ?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #42
brad`
The Monty

wheel bearings?
brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #43
Cam
Stroking it...

Some interesting reading here guys..Really appreciate the help.

I've been pretty crook so not had a chance to look at the car, but will do over the next couple of days. Got a good list of things to check!
Old 04-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #44
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by needaXYGT
Did the knocking occure while just driving along the road, or slowing down/speeding up?
Knocking occurred only whilst hitting bumps, started off as big bumps, but now pretty much any bump in the road causes it to bang. So it related to suspension travel. But, If i nail it hard the rear end will squat, so it bangs..
Old 04-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #45
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was it a factory live axle as i thought all GHIA'S were independant espesally v8 ones. if the conversion to live was done later it would explain how the wrong upper or lower arms could have been used. there is WAY to much impact to be play in bushes or shocks(which control rebound). as i said in the original thread it may have had very, very low shocks in it before
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #46
Cam
Stroking it...

Indeed they were, she's actually only a monty, not a GHIA.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #47
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll add to the recommendation to go and speak to Greg at City Suspension, he did all the work on my old AU. He's a good bloke, been around for a long time and calls a spade a spade.
Good luck with it, at least you've found the problem now.
Cheers, Matt.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 PM   #48
Cam
Stroking it...

Thanks Matt, I have had another recommendation for Greg as well, looks like a goer!
Will give him a call this week
Old 13-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #49
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Mate, looking at your pictures i can't believe that no one else could see what is acctually happening, So as Per USUAL Taxi mechanic to the rescue!
Where the rear upper arms bolt to the diff housing, their are three holes, who ever installed your upper arms, installed them in the incorrect hole.
THE GUARRANTEED FIX: Install new upper arms, (old ones damaged) and this time install the bolts through the upper rear hole in the housing, not the lower rear hole.
If is wasn't illegall id be telling everyone here what i really think. LATER......................
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #50
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
Mate, looking at your pictures i can't believe that no one else could see what is acctually happening, So as Per USUAL Taxi mechanic to the rescue!
Where the rear upper arms bolt to the diff housing, their are three holes, who ever installed your upper arms, installed them in the incorrect hole.
THE GUARRANTEED FIX: Install new upper arms, (old ones damaged) and this time install the bolts through the upper rear hole in the housing, not the lower rear hole.
If is wasn't illegall id be telling everyone here what i really think. LATER......................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
check to see if the arms are in the same hole, side to side

the xr arms are slightly shorter/longer (can't remember) to fix the angle of the diff for the lower setup.

2 things have happened imho:
they are not in the same holes, fouling the geometery or you have one standard arm vs one xr arm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
For Tickford suspension vehicles (EL & AU) the arms should be 340mm between centres and should have the kink in them to clear the diff, they should be located in the rear most hole on the diff.

XE-EF rear suspension upper arms are 340mm between centres, but they dont have a kink in them, the diffs in these vehicles were never supplied with a different mounting point.
So as Per USUAL Taxi mechanic doesn't read the whole thread

Old 14-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #51
Cam
Stroking it...

Me and The Monty are checking it out this weekend, I've been flat out with work, and crook, so had not time to look at the car.

Will report back! I REALLY hope its just in the wrong hole....that sounds wrong...
Old 14-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #52
The Monty
Just slidin'

If it were in the wrong holes, and the correct trailing arms were used, as you have stated, Mr AU turbo the diff would be on an extremely odd angle, and the tailshaft obviously so, creating large amounts of vibrations and rendering the car basically undriveable. Now, before you get your panties in a knot, Im not saying your completely wrong, but you were on the right trail, as others have pointed out, seeing as they read the thread in its entirety. The problem you have described would have happened if the wrong trailing arms were in the correct holes, being too long an arm in the correct hole, meaning it has bent to give itself some leverage. I think that what Tibbo said to begin with will be on the money. Instead of calling us fools, or in your language, FEWLS, maybe you could show some decency and apologise to everyone, or you should maybe just go back under the rock where you came from, and not bother with the forums, you obviously know everything being a race car builder/taxi mechanic, so there is no reason for you to be here?
Old 14-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #53
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

To the Monty, I agree with the last part of the post, too many beers and too late at night, once i reread what id written about 5 mins ago, i too was in shock. So i agree.
And appologise.

Im running the standard shorter arms mounted further forward, however my Au isn't quiet as low. Super lows really are too low on most cars, not just falcons.
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #54
Cam
Stroking it...

Thanks Auturbo6, your trolling comments that night were not appreciated by many, maybe beer and forums dont mix :P

The Monty will be over sometime over the weekend and we'll get a new arm and install it, fingers crossed! Then after a tune to sort out some auto shifting probpems, and new rubber, she's for sale.. :(
Old 14-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #55
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
maybe beer and forums dont mix :P
yeah, i got a red frowny face or three from that
Old 15-05-2010, 07:04 AM   #56
The Monty
Just slidin'

Dont worry, Ive copped many as well. Shift work, plus no sleep, and I flip sometimes, get home from work and wish there was an edit button.
Old 16-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #57
The Monty
Just slidin'

So Cam, what was the verdict.................
Old 16-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #58
Cam
Stroking it...

After much deliberation, the Jury is in..

Click to see the verdict..
Old 16-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #59
Cam
Stroking it...

By the way, thanks to all those that helped, greatly appreciated!