Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-03-2010, 04:56 AM   #1
Xr8-290

Default Possible speed camera?

Hi,

I was drining along when a sign dispayed:

Slow Down - 80

I looked at my speed and was about 85, it was at night and it was foggy, didn't see any flash and the sign was in front of me. Went back later to check it out and it's a big display on a pole with what looks like a small camera/radar about half way up, and a sola panel on top.

I assume this is not a speed camera as there was no flash or am I wrong?

Xr8-290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What State are you from?
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Xr8-290

Qld..
Old 09-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, can't help
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

If your speedo was reading 85 then there's a decent chance your actual speed wouldn't be far off 80. Flashing cameras are a distant memory, you're unlikely to see a flash on most speed cameras these days.

Probably just a traffic camera. Sadly the only way you'll be certain is when you don't receive a present in the mail.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Possibly just an RTA sign. Were you in an area that there was road works?

NSW is still behind the 8 ball and still have flashing cameras. I was up at Woodburn northern NSW on the weekend and the camera there flashes. I wasn't going to say anything this time to my mrs but when it flashed she said '' Yep, I remember that back in November when I got caught"'. lol.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Ive seen a couple of these down here they are just an advisory thing. The ones Ive seen have a smiley face if you are on or under the limit and a sad face if you are over. Ive even seen some that tell you what speed you are doing as you are going past.
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
Argonautica
www.argonautica.com.au

Speed advisory signs - use radar signal (K Band) to measure your speed then display the results. Not a speed camera.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

It would help if you said where it was.

If it was Beaudesert Rd and Compton Rd intersection (sounds like it might be), it is a red light/speed camera and yes it does flash and no there are no signs (I have set it off a few times in an ambulance, both for speed and red light).
Old 09-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
EF-MattyB
EF-Weapon

Default Speed Camera

There is a few of these signs along the Gympie-Curra Stretch on the Sunshince Coast.

I was driving through there the other day in the work truck (I NEVER SPEED, ESPECIALLY ALONG THAT STRETCH) and TWICE it came up saying that i was speeding. (i was doing 85 in a 90 zone).

It was one of those large black notice type signs and it said 'Your Speeding, Slow Down. Min Fine 2 point & $150"

I am severly hoping that nothing comes in the mail, or i am fighting it!!!!
EF-MattyB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF-MattyB
There is a few of these signs along the Gympie-Curra Stretch on the Sunshince Coast.

I was driving through there the other day in the work truck (I NEVER SPEED, ESPECIALLY ALONG THAT STRETCH) and TWICE it came up saying that i was speeding. (i was doing 85 in a 90 zone).

It was one of those large black notice type signs and it said 'Your Speeding, Slow Down. Min Fine 2 point & $150"

I am severly hoping that nothing comes in the mail, or i am fighting it!!!!
No you won't. Those signs are very inaccurate. They are just "nag-o-gizmos" (well at the moment anyway).
I have been through there several times both by my self and in a line of slow traffic under 90 and they have gone off.

They are infact bloody dangerous as the traffic through there is almost always bunched up due to the morons feeding a 90 zone from a 110 zone on the main highway. As soon as the sign lights up someone always panic brakes leading to chaos.

Yes I know that everyone should follow at a safe distance and at exactly the same speed under the speed limit and I am sure on planet "LALA" this works well but here on planet earth where cars are driven by human beings it is not so clever.

There is also a VERY bright 100 sign outside ettamoggah pub that scare the hell out of you and I saw someone who was overtaking me at the time basically lock it up when the sign activated.

If there had been two cars that also could have been a tragedy.

(For the southerners, ettamogah pub is on a short 100 section in the 110 zone on the freeway. The speed was reduced to 100 because again the morons in main roads have allowed access slow feeder with no run up space.)
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was travelling home near cooma through a work-zone. it was dark and no one was working, so i don't know why they still had it locked down as a work zone (since no disruption to the driving surface to justify it). there was a flash behind me and i thought i was done. turned out it was only a storm on the horizon, phew.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #13
fairBA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xr8-290
Hi,

I looked at my speed and was about 85, i
HOON!!!
Car crasher for you boy!!!
fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

there are a few of these along the highway from Toowoomba to Brisbane and there was an email circulating when they were first installed citing that they were in fact speed cameras, but they are just ****-tacular distractions... They are set at about a km under the limit so they flash up to nearly everyone, but they do work as most people slow down to try and avoid the annoyance of having it flash up... well that's what I do. :
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #15
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Yeah, the amount of these I fly by every week I would have a large number of fines already.

You're safe

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
Xr8-290

No flash on speed cameras, that would make it very hard at night and especially in wet foggy weather. The sign I went past was at the top of big incline (hill), but brfore several T intersections. I don't think 85 in an 80 zone is hooning, but then again, ya never know with the stupid laws these days.

If it's not a speed camera, then really, who's gonna take notice, maybe if it said, "slow down before you kill someone" then it might get more noticed and mean a lot more.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
No flash on speed cameras, that would make it very hard at night and especially in wet foggy weather.
There is a flash on the fixed cameras at Story Bridge, Marshall Rd on Ramp of the M1 and the one I mentioned earlier, they are all speed cameras. The difference is they all take rear photos (although the one on Beaudesert Rd may take front photos of the opposite side of the intersection, but would be out of the direct field of view of the driver and in peripheral vision fields).
Old 09-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #18
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No flash on speed cameras, that would make it very hard at night and especially in wet foggy weather..
No conventional flash, they use infrared flash,
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #19
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
No conventional flash, they use infrared flash,
Incorrect, not on all, maybe on the van mounted units but many of the fixed have white light flash.

I set them off pretty regularly at work, like 2-3 times a week.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #20
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Incorrect, not on all, maybe on the van mounted units but many of the fixed have white light flash.

I set them off pretty regularly at work, like 2-3 times a week.
Sorry gecko my comment was more an addition to what you said, most mobile cameras use infrared, some still have white flash, but almost all the fixed i've seen still use white flash like you said.

sorry for the confusion
Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #21
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

There is a few of these along the Warrego Hwy. They are notoriously inaccurate. Ive been doing 75kmh and they still registered me doing over 80kmh. And this was for quite some time before approaching it.

Although, they have been there for some time now, thankfully drivers are now ignoring them as opposed to slamming on their brakes thinking its a speed camera. Pure waste of tax dollars.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #22
Xr8-290

What's got me is, I just had to test this, so I went past the same sign, doing 85 and nothing. I can only assume the bad weather (rain and fog) played a big part in the signs inaccurate reading. Could bad weather conditions also play a part in wrong speed camera readings?

Because, I was going down the Toowoomba range some time back, and I am sure I was doing 80 as I went past the parked speed camera, it was raining, and never got anything in the mail.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #23
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

van mounted units in qld still have the flash in qld they are forward facing, the 4x4's are rear facing also have the flash, however still currently the flash is mounted on the bull bar outside the vehicle, the gold patrol that sits just after the Yatala BP is perfect example of this.

as has already been stated the perm fixed ones are still flash activated, when the new speed cam/redlight cam/nudgee speed cam and the point to point cam's come into play come august then we might see a change, untill then they are all 'flash' activated.

by front facing I mean, will take your plate from the front, not that its forward facing in the vehicle.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #24
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
van mounted units in qld still have the flash in qld they are forward facing, the 4x4's are rear facing also have the flash, however still currently the flash is mounted on the bull bar outside the vehicle, the gold patrol that sits just after the Yatala BP is perfect example of this.

as has already been stated the perm fixed ones are still flash activated, when the new speed cam/redlight cam/nudgee speed cam and the point to point cam's come into play come august then we might see a change, untill then they are all 'flash' activated.

by front facing I mean, will take your plate from the front, not that its forward facing in the vehicle.
that depends which way your going in traffic though, easier to say the vans take it out their back window and 4x4's out the front window.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:51 PM   #25
phantom_87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they are just warning signs. i normally go past a quite of few of them. they arent speed cameras