Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've nearly rear ended someone when I was looking in the rear vision mirror and the trafic ahead came to a stop, or the moment I check my speedo, I always happen to drive past a higher speed limit sign lol.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #32
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Hasn't just happened to you Big Damo, i went straight threw a red light once casue i was checking my side mirros becasue some idiot was honking and flashing there lights at me, being distracted cant always be helped
Old 09-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #33
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
There are a lot going on now than 15 years ago.
Now there are phones and GPS.
In saying that GPS should never be touched onre the journey begins.
Phones should never be used whilst the vehicle is being driven. Hands free or not.

Honestly who can drive whilst talking on a phone and actually concentrate on thr road?
Anyone who answers yes is full of ****.

Actually pilots do a multitude of tasks while flying.
And yes all at the same time....
Talking on radio, changing frequencies, navigating, stayin up right...

The problem with phones is that people switch to "phone mode" and forget they are actually driving a car.

There should be no difference to talkin to your passenger, then talking on your mobile. Its a "brain" function thing....

Do we forget that racing car drivers, super cars, formula one, WRC, ALL TALK ON THE RADIO back and forth with their mechanics and NOT ONCE get distracted???

Then again, like was said, some people actually turn around while talking to their passengers! Or apply make-up, comb their hair, light up a smoke, read a map... etc

Its a simple concept, when your driving, your primary job is to actually drive.
Most people seeminly rather be a passenger.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #34
fangq

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Agreed.

But where do we draw the line?

Obviously talking on your mobile is illegal and considered dangerous, so what about operating the radio?

Is sitting back talking with one hand to your ear more dangerous than leaning forward trying to insert a CD or press buttons?
I have in vehicle blue tooth and even with that am very aware just how easy it is to zone out. My calls therefore are either very quick, no pick up or if needs be, pull over and call back. The research re driver phone distraction is well proven..

Steve
is my halo showing ??
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #35
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

The problem with phones is that people switch to "phone mode" and forget they are actually driving a car.

There should be no difference to talkin to your passenger, then talking on your mobile. Its a "brain" function thing....

Do we forget that racing car drivers, super cars, formula one, WRC, ALL TALK ON THE RADIO back and forth with their mechanics and NOT ONCE get distracted???

Then again, like was said, some people actually turn around while talking to their passengers! Or apply make-up, comb their hair, light up a smoke, read a map... etc

They are not the only ones. On every shift I manage to drive, operate radio, provide notification and consult with hospital, monitor my student and provide clinical support to that student. All these and I am a male and apparently not capable of multi tasking.

I do not see an issue with talking while driving as long as the eyes stay on the road. Anyone that is not capable of doing this is probably not capable of driving safely and should hand their license in now. The problem comes when functions involving hand/eye coordination are carried out whilst driving, taking the eyes of the road and hands off the vehicle controls. Hands free is ok as long as it a true hands free, this does not include having to select numbers and dial.

Additionally driving along holding the phone in front of your face while you talk on speaker is not hands free. Personally I use a bluetooth ear piece at work as we can not fit hands free to general ambulances (we do not have service provided phones and therefore we all have different types). When I need to call whilst driving, I pull over, dial and then proceed once connected on the earpiece, despite the fact that at work I am legally allowed to talk on a mobile, I don't.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #36
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Additionally driving along holding the phone in front of your face while you talk on speaker is not hands free.

Yes i have to laugh at people when they do that... holding the phone like a womans "compact" while talking into it.

Hollywood and American TV shows in general are poor examples of mobile phone use.
How many times do you see the actor driving while talking on the phone while the car is doing ok and not hitting anyone??

Many years ago i worked (while desperate for work) as a traffic controller.
Possibly the best examples of not paying attention while on the road was when we had closed one lane and detours set up to go through the side streets.

All the warning signs were up telling people that road works ahead, road closed ahead, detour ahead, reduce speed etc..... not to mention the ute was parked on the road with flashing lights and arrow board up. all on a nice straight bit of road in the suburbs.

Could anyone actually believe that 3 cars and one tip truck nearly ran into the ute parked on the road in the space of a few hours?

How can anyone miss a ute with flashing lights and a giant flashing arrow???
The signs which we put up everywhere....????

Another example was when we had tempory shifted the centre line of a suburban road with witches hats. As normal all the warning signs were up, council trucks and back hoes on the verge etc...

A car just drives down the road and wipes out all the witches hats which was set out to guide people around the road works. All the council workers litterally jumped out of the way!

The stupid ********** then drives up the road with three traffic cones stuck under her car and pulls over about 200m away to see why there was a burning smell im gathering from all the hats being rubbed away on the bitumen.
She gets out and has a look, pulls them out and just drives away.

Not a care in the world ... gotta love our modern caring sharing road users.

That job was the scariest and most dangerous work i ever had.
I lasted 6 months as the near misses were simply too much.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #37
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
This sounds funny but I'm serious >

Perving is hardly ever mentioned as a distraction.

Watch how many guys (me included sometimes ) will perve whilst driving .
Looking at chicks on the side of the road, sitting at bus stops, in cars, on push bikes (esp behind!), Sexy Billboard Ads etc.

I wonder how many have had/caused an accident because of this fact.
It is a well known cause of rear enders
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #38
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Can you carry on a conversation with a passenger while driving?

Can you listen to talk back radio or music while driving?

Can you look around at the surrounding area for kids, animals or whatever that may possibly go onto the road?

If not then maybe you don't have the skills necessary to control a motor vehicle in the 21st century.

How is talking on a hands free telephone different to talking to a passenger?

And more importantly why is talking on a CB radio that REQUIRES one hand to operate while driving "safe"?
All of those things you have listed have been known to be the cause of accidents.

I understand what you are saying about talking to kids/people in the car versus mobiles, BUT the phone holds greater intensity of concentraction than passengers do, unless the kids are mucking up.

As technology grows so does our interest in it, and it is a distraction, the modern driver cannot keep up with everything that is going on around them.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #39
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Anyone that is not capable of doing this is probably not capable of driving safely and should hand their license in now.
There is the problem, 80% of people are not capable, that is the point we trying to make.

I would class myself (because of my extensive advanced driver taining, and that is trying I have undertaken, not delivered) as a damn good driver, but I have made a mistake whilst taking a business call on the mobile in a car HANDS FREE.

Noone is exempt, and I reckon if you were truthful you would admit to one or two mistakes as well.

Last edited by Trevor 57; 10-03-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #40
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Can you carry on a conversation with a passenger while driving?
Can you listen to talk back radio or music while driving?
Can you look around at the surrounding area for kids, animals or whatever that may possibly go onto the road?
If not then maybe you don't have the skills necessary to control a motor vehicle in the 21st century.
How is talking on a hands free telephone different to talking to a passenger?
And more importantly why is talking on a CB radio that REQUIRES one hand to operate while driving "safe"?
Think about how much concentration is needed whilst doing to those things.
You hardly need to concentrate to every spoken word whilst listening to a song. Unlike talk back radio or phone calls.

Quote:
and they have to deal with all that traffic and pedestrians [/sarcasim]
Quote:
So true. They forget the responsibilities of driving.
Quote:
They are at a much higher level of concentration the the usual road user. The micro-second they are not, they crash.
Quote:
A mate usted to duck his head to light a smoke. (open window would blow out lighter) and I thought he was mad as if something pulled out, he would hit it and smash his head on steering wheel.
Good point though. Not enough though/concentration is given to driving.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #41
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Difference here is that flying is relatively simple in as much as there are very little moving obstacles such as when you are driving. Once you trim an airplane for a certain ascent, descent, cruise; you can take your hands off the controls briefly to do what you need to. Also, when flying you tend to be incredibly focussed. I notice a couple of guys on these forums are pilots, so they can attest to what I mean.
Also, in airline work you'll always have one pilot flying whilst the other handles the radio, checklists and other items. In saying that, I agree with you 100%, difference between pilots, race car drivers etc compared to the regular public is that we have been professionally trained to multi-task.
My driving history, zero at fault accidents.
I've had a couple of close shaves, but they've always been facial. That said it can be a jungle out there. :

Speaking of phones/distractions and mult-tasking, a few years ago a mate of mine and myself ended up at the same company doing VIP work. When the VIP stuff was on the quiet side, we'd do mail work after curfew. So, one night enroute to yssy I got bored and called my mate as I thought he was on the ground already. Couldn't get him on a company frequency so I used my mobile. Turns out he still in the air. The way you talk on a mobile eliminating the noise is to stick the handset between your ear and headset. Long story short whilst I was in a cruise with the autopilot on, my mate was busy doing an ILS approach into yssy. I heard his radio calls, gear retract, flaps and even the wheels touching the runway. Some may call it wreckless and some may call it stupid; but to me that's the epitome of multi-tasking.
Him, no at fault accidents either.

Quote: