Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
egoxr8
Starter Motor

Default insurance issues

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone knew what mods would void insurance? lowering exhausts etc, Cheers,

Luke.

P.S. I'm new to this forum not quite sure if I'm in the right place????????

egoxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best to call your insurance company. Each and every one has their own set of rules in their PDS regarding modified vehicles

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
egoxr8
Starter Motor

cheers mate! will do.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
4VCLEVO
XA GT

I'd suggest they can void you on any mod you haven't told them about prior to an accident or theft.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I spoke with nrma about this not long ago. I was told as long as its road legal they dont care, i.e. engineers certs if required
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
egoxr8
Starter Motor

cheers
Old 07-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Generally any mods not stated on your policy statement can be a cause for your insurance to become void. When a mod is done and the insurance company is notified, they normally send out a new statement with the amendments included.
Its best to ask the insurance company before doing the mod, so you then know the implications beforehand.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
mattxr8

firstly the modification has to be legal. secondly depends on your company. some don't like any mods. some will allow basic mods, others will charge an extra excess for each mod and decline insurance if you excess reaches a certain point. only way to know is to call them and ask.
mattxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Generally any mods not stated on your policy statement can be a cause for your insurance to become void. When a mod is done and the insurance company is notified, they normally send out a new statement with the amendments included.
Its best to ask the insurance company before doing the mod, so you then know the implications beforehand.
The above is 100% correct.

If you make a significant modification to your vehicle and do not inform your insurance company than they can and most likely will void your policy should you need to make a claim.

If you want to modify your car then it's best to call up your insurance company and inform them of what you want to do. Some insurance companies may say go ahead as long as your modification is legal, whereas others may say yes, but this is how much more it's going to cost you...

You may even get the odd, NO. Never going to happen.

Call them and take it from there.

On a side note I know of a guy who put a cannon style exhaust tip on the back of his car without informing his insurance company. When he needed to make a claim after getting into a bingle they told him nope, no dice.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #10
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Depends entirely on the company, as others have said. You get both extremes (unlimited mods allowed vs no mods at all).
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #11
LTDHO
The one and only

Read your PDS.

You should have by now anyway!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
On a side note I know of a guy who put a cannon style exhaust tip on the back of his car without informing his insurance company. When he needed to make a claim after getting into a bingle they told him nope, no dice.
wow, that's a bit rough. its like being denied for having seat covers...
Old 09-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
I do not doubt what you are saying but I doubt the truth in what you were told.

Firstly an insurer can not cancel/void a claim if a modification didn't contribute to the incident.
Secondly, as with most insurers you only need to update you policy with mods at renewal only.
Thirdly, I'd be surprised if a 'cannon exhaust' would be reason to deny insurence or a claim.
Finally, What's ya mate doing fitting a cannon tip in the first place? :P
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I do not doubt what you are saying but I doubt the truth in what you were told.

Firstly an insurer can not cancel/void a claim if a modification didn't contribute to the incident.
Secondly, as with most insurers you only need to update you policy with mods at renewal only.
Thirdly, I'd be surprised if a 'cannon exhaust' would be reason to deny insurence or a claim.
Finally, What's ya mate doing fitting a cannon tip in the first place? :P
I'm not sure if he had modified more than just the tip but he said his exhaust voided his policy. I didn't think he needed more than just a cannon tip to make that loud fart like noice. So I may be wrong.

But on the other hand before I got my exhaust done I called up my own insurance company and the phone call went something like this:

Me: Will an exhaust modification void my current policy?
Insurance rep: Yes.
Me: What about an exhaust tip?
Insurance rep: Depends on the size of the tip, a cannon tip is a performance upgrade and will void your policy.

So it wouldn't suprise me if he was telling me the truth, but I may be wrong.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
mattxr8

At the end of the day it will come down to your insurer. If you haven't listed a mod you are really leaving it in their hands to decline cover or pay a claim. If they don't like mods to begin with you will most likely be in trouble. If you have an accident and the mod was legal and didn't contribute to the claim, you may still be provided cover, but not for the modified parts Some companies are better than others, so choose wisely and don't always pick the cheapest out there.
mattxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post