Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-03-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Nissan recalls half a million vehicles

Nissan recalls half a million vehicles
March 3, 2010 - 5:20PM

TOKYO - Nissan Motor said Wednesday it will recall nearly 540,000 vehicles worldwide, most of them in the United States, due to brake pedal defects and faulty fuel gauges.

Nissan said in a statement it plans "to inspect and, if necessary, repair brake pedal pins and fuel-gauge components on certain trucks and minivans".

"No accidents or injuries have been reported with these issues," it said.

The recalls also affect Canada, Mexico, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia and Taiwan, the statement said.

The models with faulty brake pedal pins are the Titan pickup trucks, the Armada and Infiniti QX56 SUVs and Quest minivans built between 2008 and 2010, the company said, adding that it would pull 178,916 units from the US.

The company said there were three reported cases of brake pedal pins loosening and causing problems with braking.

"Nissan has determined that a manufacturing error on the part of the supplier is at the root of this issue," it said.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:52 AM   #2
Scott

Recalls are the new black.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Wow, 3 complaints and 540,000 vehicles recalled. Sounds like someone might be paranoid if it got up to 6 complaints.

.....this seems odd. I am not going to the extreme where I complain that Toyota didn't recall their cars soon enough and that Nissan is recalling their cars too soon, but it does look odd. I can't remember any car maker recalling this many vehicles over 3 complaints. Usually that is chalked up to "mass production tolerances".

3/540,000 = 0.000005555556%

That failure rate is usually within tolerance in anybody's book for mass production.

I wonder what else there is?

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
Wow, 3 complaints and 540,000 vehicles recalled. Sounds like someone might be paranoid if it got up to 6 complaints.

.....this seems odd. I am not going to the extreme where I complain that Toyota didn't recall their cars soon enough and that Nissan is recalling their cars too soon, but it does look odd. I can't remember any car maker recalling this many vehicles over 3 complaints. Usually that is chalked up to "mass production tolerances".

3/540,000 = 0.000005555556%

That failure rate is usually within tolerance in anybody's book for mass production.

I wonder what else there is?

Steve
Interesting point Steve

Does make you wonder if they have found another issue that can be detremental to peoples lives and are hiding it

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
Interesting point Steve

Does make you wonder if they have found another issue that can be detremental to peoples lives and are hiding it

Jason
a loose brake pedal is pretty detrimental to peoples lives dont you think?

especially if it works its way of entirely.

whilst you or me might be able to assess the situatuion and stop accordingly,

old granny putting down tothe shops would have no chance!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I don't mean to diminish the seriousnous of the problem when it does happen (3 times), but there have been thousands of issues with thousands of cars that have not required a recall because cars in the automotive industry are mass produced, like most goods, and no manufacturer is held up to the "perfect" standard. Because of mass production processes and methods a certain "failure" rate is expected. I believe 3 out of 540,000 is acceptable by any country's manufacturing standards.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Nissan next in line for US recalls

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576DC00099848

Quote:
Faulty brake pedal pins, fuel gauges force Nissan to recall 540,000 vehicles

4 March 2010

By RON HAMMERTON

BRAKE pedal pins that could become loose, and faulty fuel gauges that leave drivers stranded are the cause of the latest voluntary recall in the United States, this time by Nissan, which is dragging back almost 540,000 light trucks, SUVs and minivans for remedy.

Hard on the heels of embarrassing recalls by Toyota and General Motors, Nissan has come forward with a plan to check and, if necessary, repair the brake pedals of 205,000 of its late-model series of its Titan full-size pick-up, Armada SUV, Quest minivan and Infiniti QX56 large SUV.

In the fuel gauge recall, the 472,118 affected vehicles also include the American-made Nissan Frontier, Pathfinder and Xterra.

No vehicles sold in Australia are affected

Nissan has blamed a manufacturing error at supplier for the brake pedal pin problem, which it says has surfaced on three vehicles.

The fault causes the pin to partly disengage, “causing loss of normal braking ability”. It says it has no reports of crashes or injuries as a result of the fault.

Most of the 2008-10 vehicles affected by the recall were sold in the US, with others going to export markets such as Canada, the Middle East and Russia.

In a separate recall, high-mileage vehicles may have fuel gauges that incorrectly indicate the amount of fuel in the tank.

“This may result in the vehicle running out of fuel while the gauge reads greater than empty,” Nissan says, adding that all new vehicles now on sale are free of both problems.

“Beginning in March, owners of potentially affected vehicles in the brake pedal pin recall are being notified to bring their vehicles to a Nissan or Infiniti dealership for a quick, simple, visual inspection and, if necessary, repair.

“Also beginning in March, owners of potentially affected vehicles under the recalls for fuel gauge inaccuracies will be notified as to when they should bring their vehicles to their dealers for repair.

“Until their fuel gauge senders are repaired, customers with potentially affected vehicles are encouraged to maintain a fuel level of at least a half-tank.”
Old 06-03-2010, 12:06 AM   #8
Jayden
Graphic Artist

Pick one:

1) Do nothing because you dont have to.
Then Somebody drives through a shop window taking 30 people with them and suddenly everybody is over your whole brand like a rash because they know you knew there was a brake problem and did not simply check possibly affected vehicles.

You end up in court trying to explain why you failed to react to a serious safety concern and pay out god knows what to the affected families. And a few laws get changed as usual not in your favour.

2) You check the vehicles, it costs a bit. but ultimately its forgotten about.

I wouldn't be surprised if all manufacturers are have a closer look at their engineering lately.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

You'd hate to be the supplier of this particular piece of equipment right now...But I think Nissan have actually done the right thing here, as Jayden said, a few minutes out of your life and a little cash ensure that you don't end up dead as a result. Toyota took their time recalling...now look at the situation they're in. Better to be on the safe side given the issues that they are finding with vehicles currently.
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Probably best to do it while the media heat is on Toyota.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

It would seem Nissan are very nervous after whats happened to Toyota, i think this may be a little on the extreme side, but it does seem to be the year of the Recall!