Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #31
99_falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
So you did. They're pretty optimistic figures!
Yeah. On car review sites it was more along the 10.5L/100Km Highway
Old 13-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #32
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
The 6.8 figure you have quoted is 6.8 km per litre, not 6.8 l/100km. 6.8km/litre works out at approx 14 l/100km.
im sorry i dont know where you got this from but its very wrong
you honestly expect to get 14L/100 on the highway? for a basic I6, the figures quoted on that site are correct and many people could confirm this, how many people post on here with stockers that drive 800+km off a single tank? im telling you right now, my car is modified heavily and im still getting just over 7L/100 although when my plugs and leads were shot before i got my cam done i was getting 9.5L/100

every site quotes 6.8L/100km on the highway and 11.5L/100km city driving, these are the official figures and they are not wrong
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #33
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Some of the figures here are just staggering. My VCT Fairlane averages 420km to a tank mixed highway/town and anything up to 650km highway depending on the conditions... AND THAT'S ON LPG!! Right now I'm in Port Lincoln which is stop start, short hops and hilly and it looks like this last tank will go somewhere in the region of 350-380km. The missus' wagon will go a little bit further when I'm driving it generally but when she's driving her wagon she can't match my usage in the 'lane, but she's a leadfooted late braker like she's in the middle of Paramatta Rd fighting for lane choice, . She can get in my 'lane and knock 50km off my range just going to work and back once which is 10km highway driving each way plus 2 stop starts at each end... and she's the one always telling ME to slow down!

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 05:45 PM   #34
DashXR6T
Dash FG XR6T

I struggle to get 350 on a tank :(
The New: FG XR6 Turbo in Dash:Sunroof, Custom Exhaust with Quad 3.5" Tips, Xr8 Bonnet, 20"GT Rims, Lowered on SSSL & SSL King Springs. Growler Intake, 30% Tint, Viper 2 Way Alarm, Philips Diamond Vision 5000K Headlights&Foggies

The Old AU Series III Fairmont Ghia, Sunroof, Leather, Prem Sound, Lowered On SSSL+SSL King Springs,Tint,19" BF Super Pursuit Rims, 6000K HID's, 2.5 Inch Exhaust+Twin Tips. Fairlane Chrome Mirrors.
System:Alpine Dvd Player, 2x12" Alpine TyreR Subs, Pioneer Mono Amp.
DashXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #35
99_falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOP-GHIA
I struggle to get 350 on a tank :(
I guess this in the city?
Old 13-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #36
shazaam

heh i get 20l/100km
shazaam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #37
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
im sorry i dont know where you got this from but its very wrong
you honestly expect to get 14L/100 on the highway? for a basic I6, the figures quoted on that site are correct and many people could confirm this, how many people post on here with stockers that drive 800+km off a single tank? im telling you right now, my car is modified heavily and im still getting just over 7L/100 although when my plugs and leads were shot before i got my cam done i was getting 9.5L/100

every site quotes 6.8L/100km on the highway and 11.5L/100km city driving, these are the official figures and they are not wrong
Your high horse is wandering down the road; better catch it so you can get back on. I should have said "It appears the 6.8 is....." My bad. Still, 6.8km per litre does work out to 14l/100km, which is pretty standard economy for an AU 6 around town, in stop/start, peak hour (or perhaps even any hour in Syd/Melb) driving.

Real world figures suggest around 9.5 to 10.5 on the highway sitting on 110. Yes, you can get as low as 1 on the highway, but not over a sustained distance, and not while overtaking all the slow commodores and camrys.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #38
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I think you're exaggerating a little - Don't you get 0 at the moment?
: i get about 13.5L/100 around town (semi urban) and have seen about 9L/100 on the highway

Oh and FYI its a V8
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #39
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just reset my ecu on exzactly half a tank of fuel, so will see how much i get along the lovely, bumpy mnt lindsey highway

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #40
99_falcon

Just back from twizel (550Km), DTE currently reads around 100km and thats after driving over the shortcut road home which is over a mountain (about 200m rise) which is narrow and windy. Havn't had time to refill yet.
Old 15-11-2009, 01:10 AM   #41
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Your high horse is wandering down the road; better catch it so you can get back on. I should have said "It appears the 6.8 is....." My bad. Still, 6.8km per litre does work out to 14l/100km, which is pretty standard economy for an AU 6 around town, in stop/start, peak hour (or perhaps even any hour in Syd/Melb) driving.

Real world figures suggest around 9.5 to 10.5 on the highway sitting on 110. Yes, you can get as low as 1 on the highway, but not over a sustained distance, and not while overtaking all the slow commodores and camrys.

well yes it does appear to be a figure a lot of people get around town, i honestly dont think the quoted figure would be easy to achieve but on the highway i think its certainly possible and not difficult
and whats this high horse rubbish? i said what im getting at the moment, a question by the OP
i cant understand people telling each other to get off their high horses, im not trying to say im better than you here im saying from my experience this is what ive gotten and that what you said was incorrect as the 6.8L was quoted for highway therefore you saying that equates to kms per litre was inaccurate, unless you meant around town in which case you didnt specify

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Your high horse is wandering down the road; better catch it so you can get back on.
mate thats always going to get on someones nerves. there is just no need
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 03:38 AM   #42
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

To answer your question from before, you can get your Learners at 16 and your Red P Plates at 17 which you stay on for a year, that means no v8's, poweradders (i.e. supercharger / turbo charger) and you are not allowed to drive a car with over 200Kw at the fly wheel. Green P Plates are for a further 2 years after your Reds however the same power restrictions are in place, only thing that changes is the late night passenger restrictions.

Go to NSW or VIC and its a whole different kettle of fish, i.e. in VIC you can drive a Nissan R32 GTS-T on your P Plates, a Nissan Silvia S13 however is illegal because they go on power-to-weight ratio down there rather than output and capacity.

Back on topic, this last week I did a mix of highway / city driving and I got 330k's for 3/4 of a tank.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 03:45 AM   #43
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i get 300 for half a tank

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 15-11-2009, 04:43 AM   #44
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did a bit of a run from northern burbs melb to bendigo swap meet sat lunch timeish , was a fair bit of slow traffic until bulla , after that it thinned out, did`nt take any drastic economy measures, air con running all the way on cruise sitting on 110 kph where legal, speedo indicated 117 kph, its been many years since i`ve been to bendigo and there`s quite a few good hills, 318 k`s travelled, dte at arrival home 423 k`s left total 741 k`s, tempreture 30-35c, someone mentioned 100 kph was best economy speed rpm(2000) i concur with that finding, at 110 actual kph (2300 rpm) noticeablely not quite as good, but still i`m pretty happy with that figure in those conditions, mine is vct.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 04:52 AM   #45
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
well yes it does appear to be a figure a lot of people get around town, i honestly dont think the quoted figure would be easy to achieve but on the highway i think its certainly possible and not difficult
and whats this high horse rubbish? i said what im getting at the moment, a question by the OP
i cant understand people telling each other to get off their high horses, im not trying to say im better than you here im saying from my experience this is what ive gotten and that what you said was incorrect as the 6.8L was quoted for highway therefore you saying that equates to kms per litre was inaccurate, unless you meant around town in which case you didnt specify

mate thats always going to get on someones nerves. there is just no need
Lighten up a bit; the high horse was tongue in cheek - I made a bad assumption on the figures and indicated as such ("my bad"). :

Back OT - 68 litres and 700km is around 9.5l/100km, which I have also returned on a trip to Qld in our fully loaded wagon 3 years or so ago. The Falcon I6 (from EB to AU, and BA/BF) is a thirsty bugger around town, but much better on the highway.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 15-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #46
99_falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
someone mentioned 100 kph was best economy speed rpm(2000) i concur with that finding, at 110 actual kph (2300 rpm) noticeablely not quite as good, but still i`m pretty happy with that figure in those conditions, mine is vct.
Do you have a standard 4 speed Auto? I noticed my car while going 109 as not to break any speed limits was sitting on 1900 rpm (maybe a bit higher like 1950 rpm) and doing 100 was just above 1800. That was on a flat straight road with cruise control on.
Old 15-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #47
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
just reset my ecu on exzactly half a tank of fuel, so will see how much i get along the lovely, bumpy mnt lindsey highway

You cant judge fuel economy like that.
The only way to get a fuel economy figure is to fill to the brim, say 3 clicks, reset your trip meter, drive till its empty, refill at the same bowser at the same station and fill again to 3 clicks.
Then say youve travelled 590km, and it took 62L to fill, you divide 62 by 590 and multiply it by 100.
This gives you 10.2L/100km.
Then you do this over say 4 weeks, or four full tanks, add them all together, and divide them by 4, and you will have a fairly accurate reading on your fuel usage.
Old 15-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #48
The Monty
Just slidin'

So, to offer my average into the equation, I get around 562.1km to the tank, or about 12.1L/100km mostly highway driving.
Old 15-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #49
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
So, to offer my average into the equation, I get around 562.1km to the tank, or about 12.1L/100km mostly highway driving.
I'd be happy with that, given the mods and power you're getting.

Old 15-11-2009, 08:14 PM   #50
99_falcon

I got this off another thread and I thought it might be some help to find out your L/100km and other useful information. Only works on AU falcon instrument clusters as far as I know of. I tried it and it works. Please note that very careful timing is needed for this to work. The attatched picture of what it should look like. That particular photo is of the Coolant Temp.

Entering Diagnostic mode

The diagnostic mode can be entered by using the following method

1) With the ignition key in the off position, turn the Ignition Key to the On Position.
2) Using the Odometer Button, Press the Odometer Button Down, then release 5 Times within 10 Seconds (Note : You must be very accurate with the timing. Depress the Button for 1 second, then release for 1 second. Do this 5 Times in 10 seconds)
3) Release the Odometer Button for 5 seconds.
4) Depress the Odometer Button for 7 Seconds.
5) Release the Odometer Button for 5 Seconds.
6) Depress the Odometer Button for 7 Seconds.

You should now be within the AU Instrument Cluster Diagnostic Mode

Within Diagnostic mode, there are 19 Diagnostic Screens that are available.
At the moment we do not have enough information as to what all the screens actually are.
To Exit the Diagnostic mode, Depress the Odometer Button for 11 seconds.

Not all of the information in the diagnostic codes are known, though.

Diagnostic Codes
Mode Top Line Bottom Line
1 Petrol in Litres (No Level Buffering) Petrol Sender Resistance (Unbuffered)
2 Coolant Temperature (Degrees C)
3 Engine RPM Vehicle Speed (KM/H)
4 Oil Pressure (Bar, 1 decimal Point) Battery Voltage (Volts)
5 Instant Fuel Consumption (L/100Km) Instant Fuel Consumption (x 0.1 Litres)
6 Fuel used since Trip Avg L/100 Reset (x 0.1L)
This Value is used to calculate the Trip computer Average Fuel consumption L/100Km Kms Travelled since Trip Avg L/100 Reset
7 Buffered Fuel Tank Level (In Litres)
Value used for Petrol Gauge Buffered Fuel Tank Lever Sender Resistance
8 Gear Position (PNRD321)
9 Unknown - 0000 Unknown - 1111 Changes on AC Clutch Engage
10 Unknown - 0000 Unknown - 1111
11 Unknown - 0000 Unknown - 1111
12 Unknown - 0
13 Unknown - 0
14 Unknown - 0000 118
15 Unknown - 0000 255
16 98 112
17 Unknown - 0 0
18 -o-d ----
19 Unknown
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car Cam 017 copy.jpg (85.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 15-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #51
99_falcon

by the way I'm getting around to removing the ladybug that found its way in
Old 15-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #52
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I'd be happy with that, given the mods and power you're getting.

Im fairly happy.
I put the stock cam in a few weeks ago, and netted practically 0 extra KM/L.
Old 15-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #53
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

interesting, never done hate before

Old 16-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #54
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_falcon
Do you have a standard 4 speed Auto? I noticed my car while going 109 as not to break any speed limits was sitting on 1900 rpm (maybe a bit higher like 1950 rpm) and doing 100 was just above 1800. That was on a flat straight road with cruise control on.
yep 4 speed auto xr6 series 2, xr6`s run a 3.45 diff they do rev a little higher at highway speeds than the other models.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 12:04 AM   #55
99_falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
yep 4 speed auto xr6 series 2, xr6`s run a 3.45 diff they do rev a little higher at highway speeds than the other models.
Learn something new every day.
Old 28-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #56
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I am on holiday's in Apollo Bay right now and decided to see what I could get from my AUII XR8, I just cleaned the throttle body the day before I left,
Filled up at BP in Kangaroo Flat, Bendigo and set the trip computer.
Drove to the BP service station at the end of the Geelong Bypass ( at the bottom of Deakin Uni) a total of 200.4 klm's exactly.
Took 17.9 litres.
So that's 8.9 litres per 100klm.
Not bad considering I was sitting on 115 for half of the way (110 speed limit) then some spirtied over taking between Gisborne and Geelong,( over taking 3 caravan's and two semi's sitting behind each other) sitting on 110klm,
Oh and the XR was fully loaded with a week's worth of gear,
I know when she's loaded as she scrap's the exhaust on bump's when travelling at 100klm.
So that's damn good economy from a V8 if you ask me.
The DTE read 836klm when I refilled in Geelong.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post