Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-08-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
mowog
Discovery 4

Default Windows 7 RTM

Well I am impressed. So far I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate on 2 systems 1 64bit on my desktop and 32bit on my HP 2133.

The HP 2133 (netbook) is a different computer now that the heavy and hopeless Vista Basic is gone. I think Microsoft have nailed it with Windows 7.

Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

RTM? Is that full versions?

Im looking at formatting my old work horse today, its only a P4 1.6, 1GB RAM (although im told I can buy a 2GB USB drive and "use" it as ram), small graphics card and a few HHD's.

Would W7 be any good on this or should I just stick to XP SP3, which I dont have a problem with but thought id ask.

The new laptop that is coming will get W7 for sure.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
mowog
Discovery 4

RTM = Release to market

Yes it is the full version it wont go to retail sales until October. Partners, OEM and Technet members get access now.

I would leave the old laptop on XP but any new system get windows 7.

My bigger system at home didnt get as much benifit from Win 7 as it is a fairly high spec system. And in fact some apps like Lightroom seem slower
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can get the 7RC version, with a six month licence on the cover of pc mags this month. I bought ULTIMATE $14.95 as it has the "how to" guide for 7.
I partitioned my hard drive and have both 7 and VISTA on my laptop. Installed no problems and Action Centre found and updated drivers for me. So far don't see much difference between 7 and VISTA. Will I spend $199 and update ? Not sure , see how 7 goes over next few weeks.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
RTM? Is that full versions?
RTM, release to manufacturing (I've also heard marketing but very rarely). It's close enough to the final release - OEM's may tweak it with different driver suites, etc.

I've got the 64bit version running and I quite like it. Can't directly compare it to Vista performance wise since I built a whole new box and stuck W7 on it. One thing I have noticed that I can compare is file transfer on my home network is *significantly* faster to and from this box.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post