Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
DragonMesh

Default quick ?

I was recently thinking about getting a new car... something bigger. But after getting drunk last night and seeing my car parked outside, i fell in love with the focus again so im thinking im gonna spend the money i was gonna spend on some upgrades. Im looking at getting these

http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...cts_id=591{559

my question is when im importing these how strong is the chance of me getting slapped with a $200 import tax?

DragonMesh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

It's likely, I believe the threshold is $1000 AUD.

That is of course if euro parts state the actual value on the customs papers.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

From memory, you will be up for much more than $200 import tax, when importing something greater than $1000 in value.

You need to pay 10% GST on the total value of: the cost of your product + shipping and insurances costs.

You also will need to pay an additional 10% customs duty on automotive parts, based on the value of the product alone.

There may also be a customs clearance fee.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #4
DragonMesh

hmmm would it be able to clear customs if they stated it was under $1000... Anyone got away with this before? I dunno as it stands it works out around 1360ish for the kit i dont really wanna add another 250+ onto that if i can avoid it. Any idea's im fairly new to Australia so not too sure on best place to get parts and such
DragonMesh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonMesh
hmmm would it be able to clear customs if they stated it was under $1000...
In theory, yes!

When it comes to coilovers, I'd personally prefer the Eibach or Bilstein, but if you're looking for something locally, Pedders does a coilover kit for the Focus. You would have the advantage of a having local warranty as well. Pedders also does a rear alignment kit, to help correct the rear camber problem the Focus gets with more extreme lowering.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post