Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #31
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Ok I see it was Ateco Automotive not Bbarbagellos. Well, in any event I guess Rod Easdown won't be asking to do any more test drives for a while either; I suspect he is about to lose his driver's licence too.
Old 14-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #32
Bent8
Long live the GT !

A $400,000 Ferrari with 450hp....with an inexperienced driver behind the wheel....no radar detector installed and doing 230 clicks on an un-sealed road....priceless! :togo:

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #33
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
an inexperienced driver behind the wheel
Hardly inexeperienced; Rod's been around quite a while; used to write for Motor Manual/ Car Australia magazine before it folded in 1989.
Old 16-07-2009, 01:59 AM   #34
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought it was ridiculous until I read 110km.

Those roads are generally safe at those speeds.
What isn't safe is the Toyota Camry who will hop in your lane directly in front of you still after doing a head check.
Old 16-07-2009, 02:04 AM   #35
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Hideously dangerous, what is left of my hair caught fire because of this and I'm in NSW!!! There was a time when the speed was legal IF the road fell under (//). If the sign still is, well . . . .

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...0713-dior.html

Now this wasn't so bad, much safer area;-

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/loc...e/1565983.aspx

MP3 on the evils of speed:-
http://www2.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr...2006_07_06.mp3

NSW - F3 Southbound 'tyre changing' event:-
http://www.nbntv.com.au/index.php/20...ous-condition/
I think you'll find you're terribly terribly wrong. 50 zones aren't engineered to the extent of freeways, they account of road trains and all sorts of things, 50 zones have corners, constant ascents, descending, tilts and of course drive ways and more importantly roads coming off them everywhere.

The only thing dangerous about that speed on a freeway is other drivers.
Old 18-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #36
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Today's The Western Australian newspaper reported:

Quote:
"Speedster Sees Safety Promotion The motoring writer who police allegedly clocked at 231 kmh on a country road in a rare Ferrari believe the experience would help him promote road safety, he told the Subiaco Post yesterday.

Rod Easdown, 57, motoring writer for the Australian Financial Review, said he accelerated the Ferrari California he was test-driving to overtake a Commodore driving erratically on Julimar Road near Toodyay when he encountered police.

He is due to appear in court on September 7.
Call me cynical but perhaps Rod is trying to use the media to paint a regretful community conscientiousness profile in the hope of lessening the likelihood of a harsh outcome from his court hearing. I don't blame him for trying this strategy, but I have to say his credibility as a road safety promoter might now be somewhat questionable. I don't think zapping pass an erratic driver is a safe strategy either - fast car passing an erratic car sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. But I guess he has now got the Commodore club off side and some of the Ford club onside.

Last edited by aussiblue; 18-07-2009 at 02:49 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #37
crusher
Dirty ute club member

JULIMAR RD IS DEFFINATELY NOT DERESTRICTED.
It is a HIGHLY used and abused rd by all the sports bike riders in perth. Ask anyone that does some riding and they will more than likely have done 200+ down that road. Its not uncommon. Which is why the Toodyay (now I wanna hear some east coasters pronounce that properly!!) cops patrol the area all the time. Not the safest road to speed on. Heard of a few horror stories of people coming off and going down into the ditches on the side of the road and noone sees them. Just assumed they had gone off ahead of the group....not a good spot to come off!

On the (//) note, I have one of those signs right near my house. It goes from 80 to // right as the road gets super bendy. Very fun road but you CAN NOT do 110kph through the area safely. Stupid also as there has been a fatality there.
But from everything I have been told by those in the know it just means in WA that you can do the maximum legal limit of 110kph. There arent many signs left around from what I've seen.
Im lucky enough to know of 2 in my area. Both right in spots where if you speed upto 110+ and dont know the road it could end very very messily. Thats local govt for you...
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #38
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I see from today's The Western Australian newspaper motoring section the car's back with Barbagello motors and Alf Barbagello himself is a passenger with all motoring journalist and they are not allowed to leave the Perth metro area.

Now if Rod if Rod Easdown wakes up and finds the head of one of these in his bed ......

Old 22-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #39
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
I see from today's The Western Australian newspaper motoring section the car's back with Barbagello motors and Alf Barbagello himself is a passenger with all motoring journalist and they are not allowed to leave the Perth metro area.

Now if Rod if Rod Easdown wakes up and finds the head of one of these in his bed ......
Yep, giving motoring journos a hard time is a great way to get good stories written.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #40
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I was under the impression that the sign (Speed derestriction sign) meant an end to the current speed limit and the default state limit applied but only if it is safe to do so.

Pretty ambiguous sign really
Years ago in the 60's and early 70's it meant " foot down but be safe" ... no restriction with the xy was great fun .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 05:02 AM   #41
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man

Seriously, 231 isn't that quick - if the road is clear and no other traffic (except the HWP hiding in the bushes) then I don't see it as being hideously dangerous.

Flame suit on and waiting .............
You would not think that if you knew the area. There are a lot of bends in the roads around that area plus a lot of farmers moving tractors, trucks and other machinery around. Bloody stupid.

By the way, in WA the (//) sign means the area is derestricted to the state max speed limit, which is 110. He does not have a leg to stand on.
Old 23-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #42
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate has a farm up that way, the side road up to his farm used to be 100km/h it's now 80km/h, he sits on it at 110km/h in a land cruiser, WA has some stupid speed limits.

Was 230km/h down this road smart, probably not but my first reaction when i herd about this was So what, if he came off the road he was only going to kill himself.
Old 25-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #43
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Street racing IDIOTS....

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...83-661,00.html

Old 25-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #44
hame
Banned

ALLEGED street racing.
hame is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post