Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
fat928
Starter Motor

Default AU111 Air Intake

Hi guys, I have a 2002 AU111 Futura six cylinder auto. I have been looking at replacing the standard air filter with a K&N filter. While looking around the intake system I got the idea in my head that I could make myself a custom air intake using a different size K&N filter than normal. I want to make a more direct intake to the throttlebody. Looking at the standard intake system, it seems very inefficient and restrictive.

I want to know, if I bypass the complete standard air intake pipe work & airbox and run a pipe straight to the throttlebody, does this effect the running of the engine in regards to the computer? I see there is a smaller pipe running off the intake near the throttle body which I would of course plumb in where it is ment to be. Looking at some aftermarket cold air intakes, they talk about some requiring reprogramming things to allow for the higher air flow. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks Craig.

fat928 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stick to the tested and tried mate.

Running a straight intake off the throttle body, you will not avoid running over your headers, which is where most of the heat comes from. It is best to take the cold air from the front of the car, and if you want freak cold air, go get a pipe heat proof coated, and wrap insulated.

The computer will not be affected, no matter what intake you put on, as long as you keep the BBM and throttle body. The computer will learn the extra air that is being put in.

Best choices for intakes:
- Tickford/XR6T Snorkal (or SS Inductions) if you have the extra money
- Panel Filter or POD filter inside the original box. A pod filter is a lot more fiddly with adapters, and would be worth nearly squat all on a 6.

Or you can
- G&D / Acron plastics airbox, minimial gains on a 6, but larger gains on an 8.

And as for the pipe, if you can get something a little larger, i.e. 2.5 - 3" pipe to the elbow then try and get that. Although if the rest of your engine is stock, you are really only going to benefit from the snorkal and filter, as the stock intake is good up to about 140-150rwkw say some experts.

I am selling a K&N panel filter, if you want to keep with the stock airbox.

Goodluck.
Old 23-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Then there is this option:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...4&postcount=20
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
fat928
Starter Motor

Cool, thanks for your help.
fat928 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

here you go mate much cheaper for you.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...0&page=1&pp=25

get in quick group buy's for this item are now open, pm whoosha for mor info.
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post