Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Radio Trouble

Hi All,

The radio in the S1 Futura wagon isn't working properly.

It's the unit that had a cassette slot, and had the cd controller unit. I installed the Alpine 6 stacker under the seat when we first bought the car in 2003, and it's worked a treat until now.

The orange display isn't working and the unit will not switch from the cd to radio.
The cd works, with the steering wheel controls (from a S2) but the unit won't allow the stacker to change cds. I can scroll through the cd (fwd tracks) and increase and decrease volume, but nothing else.
It's as though there's limited power going through the unit to partially work the cd unit, but nothing else.

I've tried pulling the fuses for the radio, they were fine. I've pulled out the airbag and disconnected and reconnected the steering wheel buttons for the audio.

I changed those today, and the ones I installed were from a S2 ute. Would that have any bearing on what's going on do you think?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
aye you
The Origional, The Best

sounds like a loose connection between the stacker and the player. could also be a broken wire inside the insulation. maybe replace the wiring if it isn't too hard?
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
sounds like a loose connection between the stacker and the player. could also be a broken wire inside the insulation. maybe replace the wiring if it isn't too hard?
Thanks for the post.

If the connection between the stacker and the unit was loose, why would that stop the unit from operating normally (that is, playing the radio etc)?

I'll go have a lookie under the seat where the stacker is.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 26-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
aye you
The Origional, The Best

Ah, didn't read that part properly. obviously it wouldn't explain it, i'd be tempted to call it a dead/dying unit
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

I pulled the radio fuses yesterday for 5-10 minutes, hopefully to reset the system, but all that did was lose me the cd player as well! Ah nuts!

Driving last night, I tried turning it on, the lcd screen had a glow to it, but nothing else. Also the numbers and symbols on the buttons all lit up with the lights on, but that's all.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 27-04-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
I pulled the radio fuses yesterday for 5-10 minutes, hopefully to reset the system, but all that did was lose me the cd player as well! Ah nuts!

Driving last night, I tried turning it on, the lcd screen had a glow to it, but nothing else. Also the numbers and symbols on the buttons all lit up with the lights on, but that's all.

GK
GK - try contacting site sponsors ASL - they may have an easy fix for you (or not!).

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11232467
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
GK - try contacting site sponsors ASL - they may have an easy fix for you (or not!).

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11232467
Many thanks for that JC.

Gave them a call. Sounds like the unit is caput. $150 for a refurbished item installed.

Makes me wonder if it's time for an upgrade now. Mp3 or other, maybe dvd also. I'd prefer the roof mounted unit like you had in the wagon, or screens in the seats.

With the screen on the roof, was the dvd player there also, or was is in the dash?

Oooooh a unit that plays dvds in the headrests, that allows you up front to be listening to your own music, that'd be nice.

No point dreaming though, we both know that kind of upgrade's going to be hard getting by the Mrs! LOL!

Maybe a standard unit replacement it is!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Last edited by GK; 27-04-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 27-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

I'd start with a single DIN DVD unit that has dual zone - that way the kids can have music from a CD or DVD in the back, and you can listen to Radio or MP3 player in front. Most of the JVC units do that, and they're not that much more than the replacement cost of the standard factory featureless unit.

Then you can always get screen at a later date, which separates the costs a bit. If that little portable unit you have has an AV input, then you could use that screen running off the in dash DVD player as an interim measure.

to answer your other questions - my roof mounted monitors have always only been monitors, with DVD coming from the in dash unit(s). 8" is the max I'd go in a wagon; you can get 10 or 15" screens, but they're only really good for back seat passengers in a tarago or similar.

Something like this would be ideal, but at $550 is probably a bit much.
JVC KD-AVX2 on eBay
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Last edited by JC; 27-04-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 27-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

We might be insync GK. I just lost the fade to my rear speakers. Sound only coming from the front now. Be watching what you go for.

UK
PS Don't forget the tech guide if you do it yourself LOL
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 03:50 AM   #10
lostdude

Hi mate, is the deck your talking about just a standard single din ford tape deck?
i have one from my forte series 1, which you can have.
i've sold my car and the guy didn't want it.
just thought i might be able to help since you pointed me in the right direction to fix the stupid s1 seat belt and the b piller plastic.

Last edited by lostdude; 29-04-2009 at 03:59 AM.
lostdude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdude
Hi mate, is the deck your talking about just a standard single din ford tape deck?
i have one from my forte series 1, which you can have.
i've sold my car and the guy didn't want it.
just thought i might be able to help since you pointed me in the right direction to fix the stupid s1 seat belt and the b piller plastic.
That's a most generous offer. I believe though that the Forte item won't control the alpine 6 stacker that you could option up. If it does have that capacity though, then I'd take it gladly, with many thanks.

Could you put up a picture?

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 29-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
lostdude

Old 29-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
lostdude

just had a flick through my old logbook/manual theres 4 models and sorry to say but i think it might not work, anyway let me know maybe you can use it for spare parts or something to repair the other one
Old 29-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdude
just had a flick through my old logbook/manual theres 4 models and sorry to say but i think it might not work, anyway let me know maybe you can use it for spare parts or something to repair the other one
You are right. It's not the unit I'm after, however, let me check with a good mate who's quite handy in all manner of things, to see if the unit you're offering might be able to get me back in business.

Cheers,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 29-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
You are right. It's not the unit I'm after, however, let me check with a good mate who's quite handy in all manner of things, to see if the unit you're offering might be able to get me back in business.

Cheers,

GK
Sorry GK, I can't fix that!