Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 28-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Good deal?

I came across a 1996 Fairmont Ghia for $5,100 with only 125,000k's is this too good to be true? it looks in good nick and there's a genuine reason for sale.. what common problems are there to look for as i might go take a look at it if it hasnt sold.. Ive heard the head gasket is a common problem area

Matt47569 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the Head Gaskets do give us E series owners a bit of trouble but if the KMs are genuine and the cooling system has been looked after you may find that it won't need attention for some time.

If the car is in that good condition then I'd definately consider it - you could always get it checked out before you decide to buy, any car can have it's problems but you may be on a winner there if it's good enough.

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the quick response.. i'll give the guy a ring tomorrow and then try con my parents into letting me borrow a few thousand haha.. do you know if the RAA do vehicle inspections? dont really know any mechanics
Old 28-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
caputo23
05 BA MkII XR8

I was in the same situation couple months back mate, found many cars that looked good but mechanically werent sound. I had a look at a 96 fairmont thought it was good and took it to my mechanic to get a check. Luckily i didnt buy it cause it had plenty of problems which the average person wouldnt be able to spot. So if you can ring up a few mechanics local to you and were the car is located and ask if they can do a RAA or MTA inspection. Also ask the seller if they are prepared to have the car inspected,cause if they dont want to, there is obviously something there hiding or not telling the truth.

Good Luck mate

ps let us know how you go

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...88#post4823988
caputo23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahh well I called today and it was sold a few days ago.. bummer.. originally been after a BA so looks like i'll go back to saving for one.. only 3-4 months to go until i got enough hah i hate apprentice wages.. thanks for the help anyway
Old 28-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt47569
I came across a 1996 Fairmont Ghia for $5,100 with only 125,000k's is this too good to be true? it looks in good nick and there's a genuine reason for sale.. what common problems are there to look for as i might go take a look at it if it hasnt sold.. Ive heard the head gasket is a common problem area
If you are unsure that the kilometers are not genuine or you suspect there has been an odometer change/wind back, Here are 2 things to look at.

Check the brake pedal - a car at 125000m will have very little wear.

Radiator hose clamps will still have a 'cap' over the clamp where you tighten them up. ( from Ford manufacturing process ).

Also, you can contact ford and give them the Vin number. This can provide a brief service history. That's how i found out my car was an ex government vehicle.