Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
MGM
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default short shock length

I bought some short shocks on ebay last week and got curious as i do, so i measured the old shock body, and my new one which they said suits 2" lowering, but the old and new shock have the same body length.

Can anyone else tell me what the short body shock length should be. both of my sets are 440mm from bottom of shock mount to the top of the body.

im not sure what was put in it when i bought it, the springs and shocks are both red? so might be already lowered shocks, not sure

MGM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
joseph23

hello

With only lowering your car 2 inches you wouldnt need lowered shocks. My falcon is lowered 2 inches and i put a set of pedders short stroke shorts on the back at it ripped out the top seal leaking all the oil or gas out of the shock. They did that about 2500km's after they were installed.
joseph23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
MGM
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think it might be lower than normal, the rear was on bump stops as its a ute and the front is about 2inch below XR height, i wanted to find out how long the shocks were as im not sure whats in there now. i put heavy duty monroe's in the back but havnt put the fronts in yet
Old 25-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

What length are each of them when compressed - that might be the difference.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

if the shock body is the same length I'd be looking at the length at full extension not compressed. If the piston shaft is shorter it would allow the piston to work in the middle of the shock body where it's at it's most effective and not near the bottom of it's stroke like a full length one would. Full length in a much lowered car would make the piston work at the (near) full compressed position which would not allow the valving to work at it's best... plus it would bottom out all the time. Check the extended length.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
MGM
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok thanks guys, i must have long ones in my car now, the body is about 15mm from the bump stops when the car is on the ground, il just have to see when i put the new ones in.

i thought a short shock was the actual length of the body would be shorter to allow the shock to move rather than be close to the bump stop