Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-02-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
THR347

Default Ridiculous pricing for parts?

Hey all, i recently went into my local ford dealership to source a xr6t snorkel and some clear indicators for my AU and i was shocked by the quoted prices... Now i've done a bit of research on this forum and others and the common price to expect for these items are $29 for the snorkel and $13 for each indicator (minus globes), give or take a couple of dollars. Well i was quoted $40 for the snorkel and $20 each for the globes. How does that add up?! And please spare me of the world financial crisis bs... i know it may only seem like a few bucks but if you do your math that is quite a mark up in price and really not worth the extra dosh imho... especially as a student with very little income! I'm not here to name and blame, just frustrated and annoyed i suppose... Can anyone get these parts for the cheaper above mentioned prices in their local area? Has anyone had similar experiences?

THR347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

From memory, my snorkel was 36 bucks (6-9 months ago)from cumberland ford., and Indicators came from here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-AU-Falco...1%7C240%3A1318

So 40bucks in say 9 months from 36 aint a huge jump?- and shop around for the indicators!
Old 21-02-2009, 03:28 AM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Im sure that some of the Fords have independent pricing, ring around, and youll see those figures change. Or Ebay it.
Old 21-02-2009, 03:43 AM   #4
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

agreed monty. His location may help? as Ebay has cheap parts depending on where you live (postage)
Old 21-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

last time i was quoted on clear repeaters they were $17 each ?

My car T3 TS50 #75 Blueprint manual 1/4 mile 13.38 @ 102.97 mph TS 50 = 237.1 rwkw
UU TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i got mine for $19 each, went on ebay and they came to about $45 shipped for both so it was cheaper to just go to Ford and get em.

got my snorkle from bayford parts on ebay for $30 i think
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford did have a price rise of between 5-10% as of the 1st of January.
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Different dealers have different prices.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Different dealers have different prices.
What he said. Also, they have a few price layers.
It goes something like retail, trade 1, trade 2, trade 3, best mate/she's wearing a low-cut top. Some try and screw you for all they can and go straight for retail, others don't bother cause they know they will get more sales if they start lower so might quote trade 1 or 2, even if they don't know you.
Old 21-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
fipcee
not so stock

$31.76 from Southside Ford (Site Sponsor) for the snorkel and that was nearly a year ago
Liquid silver AUIII XR6, BA scuff plates with Tickford inserts, proudly displaying AU falcon.com stickers, lowered, K&N panel filter with wide mouth snorkle, 2 1/2 exhaust and hi flo cat, Illusion mags, slotted and drilled rotors.
Next mods: extractors
fipcee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
THR347

Cheers for all the replies guys. I do understand that dealers have independant pricing as well as trade prices, but the fact of the matter remains that the prices i were quoted are still the most expensive i've ever heard. I might go in with a low cut top next time... haha! The 5-10% price increase would make sense why the prices are what they are, however under what circumstances did these price changes arise? Anyways i have done some looking around on ebay and the indicators are just as, if not more expensive than ford once you include postage. I'll definitely go back to the local dealership and get the indicators. Damn S1's with their ugly orange indicators! Thanks for the quote from Southside Ford too fipcee, that price sounds more reasonable. Just trying to mind my cents ...and sense! Cheers again.
THR347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #12
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$18 extra, is your time worth so little that you'll spend it looking to save that $18?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 12:23 AM   #13
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
dealership
I think you mean stealership.
Old 22-02-2009, 02:31 AM   #14
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well when i went to get some shock mounts, i was told $165 per mount, i told them i could get them elsewhere for $95, they said yep we'll do them for 95 each, no questions asked. It doesnt hurt to try and haggle with them, even if its just to save $5 to $10.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #15
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Agreed Bloggs

I have a fairly good idea of prices and I say how much is ...
Then I say Try again
And if it comes back to something sensible I buy it, otherwise walk out.
There can be major differences

Also DON'T pull the freight line on me unless I specially want it ASAP, you are the Dealer/Supplier it should be on your shelf.
Though mostly the opposite happens nowdays, you order it, then they order it, then their supplier orders it and in about 2 weeks your part arrives.

This is not just Ford either
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 12:13 AM   #16
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Well when i got my side repeaters last year (8/2/08) they were $16.45+gst. So that was $18.10 in my hand. That's without globes too by the way.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyou
Hey all, i recently went into my local ford dealership to source a xr6t snorkel and some clear indicators for my AU and i was shocked by the quoted prices... Now i've done a bit of research on this forum and others and the common price to expect for these items are $29 for the snorkel and $13 for each indicator (minus globes), give or take a couple of dollars. Well i was quoted $40 for the snorkel and $20 each for the globes.
I got my snorkel from FTG about a month ago - $38.50.......have to admit I haven't really seen it for much less than that anywhere.......
Old 23-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i recently rang up for a price on a new fuel injector rail vct xr6 $330.00 seemed a bit pricey to me, although its probably something that does`nt get sold much, i just wanted one to modify, wreckers is looking good .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 12:21 AM   #19
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
$18 extra, is your time worth so little that you'll spend it looking to save that $18?
*dot*