Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Lightbulb Petrol Compression Engine for Australia. Would it be worth it?

Thought of the day....

As we all know reducing emmisions and fuel consumption is high on the Auto makers lists at the moment. Europe seems to be ploughing ahead with Diesel Compression engines and enjoying the benifits of lower fuel costs. However in Australia the ecconomy of Compression engines is lost a little with a 17.5cpl tax placed on Diesel and a higher benchmark price from Asia. Would it be benifical for our market to see the introduction of petrol compression engines. (The ecconomy of diesel with the bowser price of unleaded). This of course would all hinge on the tax remaining on Diesel, however I still think it would be a niche market worth aiming for if the dollars start matching up.

Any ideas?

Old 23-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I'd imagine it will be on the radar but they will go to direct injection first
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you will find petrol is too volatile for this you would get detonation due to the higher compression required for ignition thats why the use diesel ( less volatile) and not petrol
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Thought of the day....

As we all know reducing emmisions and fuel consumption is high on the Auto makers lists at the moment. Europe seems to be ploughing ahead with Diesel Compression engines and enjoying the benifits of lower fuel costs. However in Australia the ecconomy of Compression engines is lost a little with a 17.5cpl tax placed on Diesel and a higher benchmark price from Asia. Would it be benifical for our market to see the introduction of petrol compression engines. (The ecconomy of diesel with the bowser price of unleaded). This of course would all hinge on the tax remaining on Diesel, however I still think it would be a niche market worth aiming for if the dollars start matching up.

Any ideas?

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

That's what I thought but I plugged the key words into google and they are actually working on it, not with diesel-levels of compression, just slightly higher than normal.
Old 23-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

You got any literature on these types of engines, like au3xr6 said petrol is too volatile for high compression engines.
Old 23-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

What needs to happen is the tax on diesel needs to be replaced by a road user charge for trucks, something like they have in New Zealand. Truck rego also needs to be reduced, offset by the road user charge.

In NZ road user charges are based on axle load and milage.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
What needs to happen is the tax on diesel needs to be replaced by a road user charge for trucks, something like they have in New Zealand. Truck rego also needs to be reduced, offset by the road user charge.

In NZ road user charges are based on axle load and milage.
In oz trucks get the excise back as they have to claim for it. Current claim rate is 17.431c/l (dropped from 18.5 c/l last yr). The extra tax on diesel is there to deter people from buying diesel cars in oz (greenies lobbied as they said it was a dirty fuel...which it may have been in 99/00 but these new diesels are very clean).
Old 23-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
In oz trucks get the excise back as they have to claim for it. Current claim rate is 17.431c/l (dropped from 18.5 c/l last yr). The extra tax on diesel is there to deter people from buying diesel cars in oz (greenies lobbied as they said it was a dirty fuel...which it may have been in 99/00 but these new diesels are very clean).
I didnt know that, thanks for the heads up.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

MB are working on the dieso-otto engine, which combines diesel and petrol engines. One of their concept cars had one last year.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
You got any literature on these types of engines, like au3xr6 said petrol is too volatile for high compression engines.
http://www.green-car-guide.com/news/...aturn-aura.htm
http://www.motorauthority.com/sparkl...ving-fuel.html

You will find more info looking for homogeneous charge compression ignition.
Old 27-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was under the impression that Diesel still produces excessive amounts of soot when compared to petrol, soot being the main cause of smog (and hence why diesel laws in California are so strict)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
I was under the impression that Diesel still produces excessive amounts of soot when compared to petrol, soot being the main cause of smog (and hence why diesel laws in California are so strict)
It does, although unfortunantly for anything that breathes air in the vicinity of drag strips in america, they dont regulate the diesels being drag raced

look up diesel drags on youtube - the amount of black smoke is horrendous
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
http://www.green-car-guide.com/news/...aturn-aura.htm
http://www.motorauthority.com/sparkl...ving-fuel.html

You will find more info looking for homogeneous charge compression ignition.
Thanks for that, just gotta work out how they keep the temperatures lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
No that was the diesels of old. New diesels are quite clean due to emission regulations. Tier 3 was the first big step in diesel emissions where they reduced the amount of particulates from the exhaust (this is why we now have low sulfur diesel).
Tier 4 is much harder as they need to bring down the NOx levels down to about 0.01ppm. Tier 4 is the reason why Caterpillar will not make on highway truck engines anymore as they cannot meet it (even if they produce a more advanced truck engine then the competitors).
The problem with these new diesel engine from companies like Volvo is that they use what is called EGR which destroys the internals in engines and reduces the life of the engine.