Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
Fab
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Commodore Omega gets 5 star crash rating

Of course Paul Gover had to brag about it. :
Interesting to see that the Omega was the only Commodore to get a 5 star rating.

Carsguide.com.au

Holden has just drawn level with Ford in Australia's new-car safety race. Almost.
Its VE Commodore has qualified for the benchmark five-star safety rating awarded by the Australian New Car Assessment Program after a series of upgrades that bring it into line with the Falcon, which got the first five-star tick for a locally-made car earlier this year.
The problem, for the moment, is only the Omega sedan model in the Commodore range is rated as a five-star car.
The missing link for the rest of the Commodore family is a reminder light for the front passenger's seatbelt, something which will be added from January production at the GM Holden factory in Adelaide.
"We have made the commitment that the passenger seatbelt reminder will be standard across the range," Holden spokesperson, Kate Lonsdale, said.
Holden has made a series of safety upgrades to the VE range this year, adding extra side and side-curtain airbags. There is also an energy absorbing panel on the steering column shroud, and the seatbelt reminder on the $37,290 Omega.
"Of course it is disappointing that this five-star result does not apply to all Commodore sedan models, but we are confident Holden will address this next year,” said Michael Case, chief engineer with the RACV, one of the ANCAP partners.
“There was an issue with the lack of a front passenger seat belt reminder on the Commodore, but Holden has undertaken to incorporate these reminders into their production processes through 2009 to ensure other Commodore variants offer the same levels of protection."
While the Commodore has done well, the latest ANCAP crash-test results are not as good for some other makes and models.
The Ford Falcon ute and Honda's compact Jazz both got a four-star rating but the baby Nissan Micra only got a three-star score, no better than the company's four-wheel drive Navara and Isuzu's D-Max ute.
The Jazz missed a five-star tick because the top models with six airbags are not fitted with ESP stability control, which is essential for the top ranking in 2009, while Ford did not submit the ute for the pole-impact test necessary for the top mark.
“ANCAP is still waiting for the breakthrough of a five-star commercial vehicle so that tradespeople, couriers and other such vehicle users can have the same level of safety as company executives,” Case said.
And, once again, the pedestrian safety ratings — a new focus for ANCAP — were below the crash-test score in every case.
The Jazz rated three stars from four for pedestrian protection, the Falcon ute and Micra got two, but the Commodore, Navara and D-Max only got one each.
"These results are clearly disappointing," Case said.

ANCAP SAFETY SCORES December 2008

5 stars:
Holden Commodore Omega
4 stars:
Ford Falcon ute
Honda Jazz
3 stars:
Nissan Micra
Nissan Navara D22 4wd
Isuzu D-Max utility

Fab is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Wally
XP Coupe

I'd be interested to know if the Calais is considered a commodore, because it has all the fruit standard AFAIK.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
irlewy86
Meep Meep

It might be in the sub-text but he still doesn't have the spine to remind people that it was Falcon that brought Holden kicking and screaming into the saftey race as yet.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I'd be interested to know if the Calais is considered a commodore, because it has all the fruit standard AFAIK.
October onwards built MY09 Omega's are the only Holden Commodore (HSV, Statesmans, Calais etc included) that has the passenger reminder light fitted.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
Wally
XP Coupe

How come my Calais has an icon that flashes when someone hasn't clipped their belt?
Old 04-12-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Just watch and see Holdens Marketing department take this and run with it! (Ford are you going to take notice?)
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
Wally
XP Coupe

Looking at the ANCAP site, it appears Holden have only bothered with the Omega for test. So it's probable the higher end models already comply.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

This was already all over the news (Channel 7&10) with everyone saying how great it is.

No one mentioned that the FG Falcon already had 5 stars, and does it without even the need for sideairbages in the XT.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Ahh dag-nabbit, i thought this thread made reference to how much fun it was to see a Commodore getting smashed into peices. If that were the case, I'd give the Commodore 5 stars any day of the week.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
There is also an energy absorbing panel on the steering column shroud, and the seatbelt reminder on the $37,290 Omega.
like to see the loser who pays that for an Omega. Also I wonder how much Holden spent in getting the car to a 5star rating. More evidence of the billion doller blunder as they have to re-work the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
5 stars:
Holden Commodore Omega
4 stars:
Ford Falcon ute
Honda Jazz
3 stars:
Nissan Micra
Nissan Navara D22 4wd
Isuzu D-Max utility
Funny how the VE ute isn't really mentioned in the article as being 4 star.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #11
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
This was already all over the news (Channel 7&10) with everyone saying how great it is.

No one mentioned that the FG Falcon already had 5 stars, and does it without even the need for sideairbages in the XT.
The XT has side airbags, but not curtain airbags.

I'd guess that Ford will wait until all ute models are fitted with DSC before going for the 5-star rating, it is only on XR models currently I think.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #12
redranga

I think that these ratings are a crock. How can fitting a seatbelt light on the dash make the cars rating change?

The outcome in a crash hasnt changed at all.

Also would you rather be in a 2000kg 4wd (Isuzu or Nissan) ute that crashes or the light Nissan Micra that crashes into each other? Both are 3 star rated. Its not hard to work out which one will come out of the situation better.
redranga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

i always thought the ve couldn't get a 5 star rating regardless of airbag count because it performed poorly in the offset frontal collision area??
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #14
GTP290

I thought the side of the FG was made of high strength steel, thus not needing side airbags to achieve a 5 star rating. Is the side pressing of the VE made of high strength steel? I doubt it.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #15
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i always thought the ve couldn't get a 5 star rating regardless of airbag count because it performed poorly in the offset frontal collision area??
You're right prydey. They needed an extra point to qualify for the pole impact test.

Here is Russ's thread with the points as it was then: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11236936

Would like to see the points it got. Doubt whether it would be near the 14.6 that Falcon got.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 10:05 PM   #16
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Quote:

I remember reading that too.
Time to do some investigations.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #17
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Yes, you are correct prydey. This was with regard to lower leg injury from memory. This is exactly why they added an 'energy absorbing panel' to the steering column.

Alot of people (myself included) figured holden wouldn't bother to upgrade the car significantly enough to pass the 5 stars, or that it woudln't be possible cost effectively. Turns out the panel was enough (just...it didn't score as highly points wise as the FG) to get it over the line, and probably proves that holden is starting to worry about its safety reputation (upgraded barina etc.).

Not sure how much it would cost but given they woudl have had to do extensive computer simulation and some real world full scale crash tests it wouldn't have been cheap.....certainly alot more than just adding the passenger seat belt reminder/making curtains standard. In fact it might have got 5 stars without curtains but that was obviusly as marketing trick to hold them over until they could get 5 stars from the ancap test. it is also possible fleet sales became an issue with FG having 5 stars starting to get sales...., hence the omega upgraded first.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #18
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Ok, ive found the relevant info.

You need a minimum of 12.5 in the offset frontal crash, the old VE got;

Body region scores out of 4 points each: Head/neck 4 pts, chest 2.70 pts, upper les 2 pts, lower legs 2.76 pts.

for a total of 11.45

The new VE got;

"Body region scores out of 4 points each: Head/neck 4 pts, chest 2.70 pts, upper legs 4 pts, lower legs 2.76 pts"

for a total of 13.45

So that means they picked up 2 additional points through a new steering column design.

I want more proof of this new steering column design. :togo:
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 10:45 PM   #19
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard it on the radio today. They said the Holden Commordore Omega has just been awarded a 5 star safety rating which was a first for Australian made cars, and its only other close competetor was the Ford Falcon Ute with 4 stars. No mention of the 5 star Falcon at all, i got quite annoyed.
Antwon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 10:55 PM   #20
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Thats , the Falcon was 5 stars before the commodore... Sigh..

Funny how they only fitted the seatbelt reminder to the OMEGA which they new was going to be the ANCAP test car.. Why would you fit such a feature to the base model, but none of the more expensive ones.. Very dumb indeed.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #21
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwon
I heard it on the radio today. They said the Holden Commordore Omega has just been awarded a 5 star safety rating which was a first for Australian made cars, and its only other close competetor was the Ford Falcon Ute with 4 stars. No mention of the 5 star Falcon at all, i got quite annoyed.
Which radio station? Sounds like they need a lesson in reality.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #22
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting when you look at the ratings out of 37. Neither the Ford or Holden come close to a C5.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 12:15 AM   #23
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Which radio station? Sounds like they need a lesson in reality.
Not sure, it was on one of the display stereos in autobahn, think it might have been Nova.
Antwon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 05:36 AM   #24
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Overall Evaluation Commodore 2008 (late) VE Omega Only (petrol only) 33.45 out of 37

5 Stars. The Commodore scored 13.45 out of 16 in the offset crash test. The passenger compartment held its shape very well. There was a slight risk of serious chest and lower leg injury for the driver.
The vehicle scored 16 out of 16 in the side impact crash test and a further 2 points in the optional pole test.

Overall Evaluation FG Falcon Sedan Full Range (petrol only) 34.61 out of 37

5 Stars. The Falcon scored 14.61 out of 16 in the offset crash test. The passenger compartment was in excellent shape after the test. There was a slight risk of serious chest and leg injury. The vehicle scored 16 out of 16 in the side impact crash test and a further two points in the optional pole test. This is the first Australian-built vehicle to receive a 5 star rating from ANCAP.

Last edited by EgoFG; 05-12-2008 at 05:43 AM.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 05:41 AM   #25
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Interesting when you look at the ratings out of 37. Neither the Ford or Holden come close to a C5.
FG did Beat it
Overall: 34.58 out of 37
5 Stars. The C5 scored 14.58 out of 16 in the offset crash test. The passenger compartment held its shape well. There was a slight risk of serious chest injury for the driver and passenger.
The vehicle scored 16 out of 16 in the side impact crash test and a further two points in the optional pole test.

FG was Overall: 34.61 out of 37
Old 05-12-2008, 06:48 AM   #26
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
How come my Calais has an icon that flashes when someone hasn't clipped their belt?
Driver only - like my BF
Old 05-12-2008, 07:09 AM   #27
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love how people bring out the points system to compare just how superior the Falcon is, when Holden matches them in the NCAP ratings. 5 stars is 5 stars.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 07:25 AM   #28
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
FG did Beat it
Overall: 34.58 out of 37
5 Stars. The C5 scored 14.58 out of 16 in the offset crash test. The passenger compartment held its shape well. There was a slight risk of serious chest injury for the driver and passenger.
The vehicle scored 16 out of 16 in the side impact crash test and a further two points in the optional pole test.

FG was Overall: 34.61 out of 37
The older one got 36 out 37. I only now this as I was lookin through a catalouge.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #29
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP290
I thought the side of the FG was made of high strength steel, thus not needing side airbags to achieve a 5 star rating. Is the side pressing of the VE made of high strength steel? I doubt it.
Yes the FG has it's B-pillars made out of Boron steel, and so does the VE Commodore.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post