Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
Rozwell28
Lurker

Default Coolant capacity I6

Hey guys,
Today I replaced the coolant in a series 1 AU I6, which was actually more painful than i thought it would be, with the stiff clamps etc. I didn't collect the fluid to examine the quantity on draining, as the manual stated it needed 16 litres. When refilling the system however, it only took about 10.5 litres, and nothing i do can make it need more. The heater core was emptied when draining, and I've moved all actuators, driven the car around etc, the temp is fine. Has anyone else done this job and had the car only take 2/3 the level of fluid its supposed to?

Rozwell28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Hi Rozwell28,
Don't fret, the acutal service capacity is much lower than the complete fill level, as you will still have coolant sitting in your water jacket in your head etc. You'll never completely empty the apparent standard 16L.

I usually find if i buy 5L of coolant, and mix it half/half, it seems usually pretty spot on to me. What you did is right!
Cheers
Mr Hardware
Old 24-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Yeah as Mr Hardware said, it will never take back that whole 16L. The only thing to be warry of is that if you flushed the radiator with clean water, then emptied it all out etc etc, then mixed up a batch of coolant at the right ratio, but could only get 10L out of 16L capacity in, then your ratio of coolant to water is out.

From memory should be about 33% coolant to water ratio in a falcon (please correct me if im wrong), so getting 5L coolant and mixing with 5L water would work out about right if you can only get 10L in out of 16L.

Cheers.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Had my system done a month or so back. Only took 12-13 litres and the guy from the radiator place said he's NEVER got more than 13 litres into any Ford.

He only got 12 into a BA and it was supposed to hold 16 (said so in the book) so he called a mate at Ford who checked the computer and it said 12. Go figure! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
Rozwell28
Lurker

Makes sense guys, thanks a lot for your advice.
Rozwell28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post