Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
ED turbo (mickmalta)
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default $8 a litre in 10 years.........

By an oil tycoon releasing this statement, dosent this now give oil companies free reign to bump prices as high as they like?

FMD, I should be in the oil industry.....

1984 Pontiac trans am

Gone but not forgotten: 1993 Falcon futura turbo.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Yeah saw this on the news tonight ... will never happen, and by then most cars will be electric
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 12-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
Yeah saw this on the news tonight ... will never happen, and by then most cars will be electric
Correction, it will happen, and most cars, in 10 years time won't be electric.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dude if even if things go to extreme I think $3 would cause everyone to cause a riot. $8 f that off that for a joke. I will burn my car and pi$$ on the ashes if petrol was that expensive because you wouldn't be able to sell it for anything worthwhile anyway.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:16 AM   #5
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Dude if even if things go to extreme I think $3 would cause everyone to cause a riot. $8 f that off that for a joke. I will burn my car and pi$$ on the ashes if petrol was that expensive because you wouldn't be able to sell it for anything worthwhile anyway.
that's probably the way alot of us will go ... i know i couldn't afford $8 a litre :( ...

however, doreslamr, are you a phycic? ... more things will come along, to take the place of petrol, look what has been developed within the last 10 years, we have Gas and Electric powered cars, give it another 10 years!!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 12-07-2008, 12:19 AM   #6
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Statement was made by the CSIRO ...... not by some oil tycoon. It is a pointless, scare mongering, stupid statement based on some 'study'. No one has any idea whats going to happen in the next 12 months let alone 10 years and am just so 'up to here' with dooms day , sky is falling statements that are flying thick and fast at the moment.

Its all guesses and out of the 100's of speculative crap thats going on at the moment, there will be 1 out of those 100's that will say .... "SEE I told you so"!

Tommorrow I think I need to put $100 of petrol in the car and make sure I can do my best to make the speculators happy!

Quote:
A new report by Australia's peak science body, the CSIRO, has warned the cost of petrol could rise to as high as $AU8 a litre in the next 10 years.
http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/new...htm?tab=latest

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-07-2008, 12:25 AM   #7
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
that's probably the way alot of us will go ... i know i couldn't afford $8 a litre :( ...

however, doreslamr, are you a phycic? ... more things will come along, to take the place of petrol, look what has been developed within the last 10 years, we have Gas and Electric powered cars, give it another 10 years!!

I filled up the GT tonight for $95 which was around $1.75 a litre for BP Ultimate...I refill once a fortnight...Now if it goes to $8 a litre that's around $450 a tank fill....If you use your car as a daily driver and fill weekly that's around $2,000 a month.....Bugger me..Becoming extinct won't be limited to just V8's...Even Hyundai Excels will cost $1,000 a month to run. Will never happen
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 12-07-2008, 12:31 AM   #8
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:

exactly, petrol, electric, maybe even gas powered cars will go the way of leaded cars.

What i was meaning is electric/hybrid motors are a stop gap till something better comes along.

This may be off topic slightly but heres a new solar power concept:

Story here

Related article

And a short video explaining the concept.

Is this relevent to cars? possibly, but think what this could do for a sky scraper!

My point is, despite the oil crisis, there will be better alternatives created because of it. Just gotta hang in there for the rough ride first.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:36 AM   #9
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wasn't there a thread recently stating $3 a litre in 10 years time?
Why do people waste their time post such garbage? There are no facts behind these figures, it is all guess work. Even if this is to be the case, who's to say what people will be earning in 10 years time. As the price of fuel goes up so does everything else As the price of stuff goes up due to increased transport costs and whatever else, proffit margins normally stay the same which means higher proffit dollars, so more money can be ussed to pay staff in a fruitless atempt to stop hearing them whine about the increasing cost of petrol.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:38 AM   #10
phoenix99

the news reported through the findings that oil would start to runout within 10 yrs which is probably a bit off.

I saw a doco about how bahrain will runout of oil by 2016 and how they are building resorts to boost tourism to compensate for the expected loss in oil revenue. Since that area (persian gulf) supplies 30% of the world's oil, petrol prices can only continue to rise.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:45 AM   #11
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Cars in 10 years time will probably only use 1l per 100km. You can fill up every couple of months.....
Old 12-07-2008, 01:04 AM   #12
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix99
the news reported through the findings that oil would start to runout within 10 yrs which is probably a bit off.

I saw a doco about how bahrain will runout of oil by 2016 and how they are building resorts to boost tourism to compensate for the expected loss in oil revenue. Since that area (persian gulf) supplies 30% of the world's oil, petrol prices can only continue to rise.
Again ....... depends on who you want to listen to. It has been stated in so many places that there is still MORE oil left than has been taken since day dot! Not even 1/2 way through it yet. It is supply of refined oil (petrol)..... not the oil itself. From one report only. So many experts and not enough fact ......

This is one oil field only ....... out of 1000's
Quote:
The North Sea has almost as much oil left as has already been extracted, a BBC Scotland investigation has been told.

Experts believe between 25 and 30 billion barrels could still be recovered over the next 40 years.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7435016.stm

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #13
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
wasn't there a thread recently stating $3 a litre in 10 years time?
Why do people waste their time post such garbage? There are no facts behind these figures, it is all guess work. Even if this is to be the case, who's to say what people will be earning in 10 years time. As the price of fuel goes up so does everything else As the price of stuff goes up due to increased transport costs and whatever else, proffit margins normally stay the same which means higher proffit dollars, so more money can be ussed to pay staff in a fruitless atempt to stop hearing them whine about the increasing cost of petrol.

What he posted is what was said in the media today though...Will never happen though
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 12-07-2008, 01:40 AM   #14
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmale42
I filled up the GT tonight for $95 which was around $1.75 a litre for BP Ultimate...I refill once a fortnight...Now if it goes to $8 a litre that's around $450 a tank fill....If you use your car as a daily driver and fill weekly that's around $2,000 a month.....Bugger me..Becoming extinct won't be limited to just V8's...Even Hyundai Excels will cost $1,000 a month to run. Will never happen
I go through about a tank and a half aweek out of an I6 .. each refil cost's me +$100 ...

You have a good point doreslamr
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 12-07-2008, 01:57 AM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I filled up my WRX last night. $65 for not much over 30lts. This shite is getting crazy! Lucky I'm pretty much an A to B driver though!
Old 12-07-2008, 02:01 AM   #16
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

I cant beleive this topic was even brought up!!
Old 12-07-2008, 02:01 AM   #17
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll work another job so i can keep my v8's, price doesnt scare me, overtime will be more enjoyable for me knowing its going to a worthy cause.

I wonder what LPG will jump up to come 10 years time, maybe 3-4 dollars a litre with a few excise hikes?

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:50 AM   #18
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

At least there won't be a lot of traffic on the roads.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:58 AM   #19
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fuel will go up in price, who knows to what, yes we will probably earn more too, but pizzas won't cost $100... so if you measure the price in "opportunity cost" alternative fuels will become cheaper, and more appealing.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #20
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Stupid and pointless was this news release from the now financially restrained propaganda arm of the government used to deflect peoples dissention with petrol prices today.
Seriously though, people rightfully complain about the cost of petrol when we are being royally shafted on double taxes, then they are told it will cost a whole lot more to make us say "Well it's not so expensive now then"; this happens exactly one week after Kaptain Krudd announces his own gullibility and stupidity in the carbon trading scheme that will cost motorists another 30 cents per litre.
Surely they don't think people are that dumb, or perhaps they are the epitome of smoke and mirrors politics? Quick, I think we can squeeze another "working families" into that soundbite, get chainsaw Gillard to announce it in her own "Kath and Kim" vernacular.
(BTW, I believe in climate change; but just the natural climate change that has been happening since the earth began and will continue to do long after the left apologists have had their self flagellational orgy of political correctness. Again we see our jetsetting PM off to another meeting OS and for absolutely no positive outcome whatsoever. When the climate fails to change, then be worried)

If oil ever hit that price nobody would ever drive, manufacturers would go to the wall. No one would ever fly, Airlines would go bust in no time. Nobody could afford plastics, heating fuel and a vast array of products that we need to survive.
Furthermore, has anyone else heard all this crap from the states subscribing to save costs on electricity and water by using less, yet the twats have just increased both utilities prices over 20%? Talk about duplicitous revenue-driven politicians.

No, oil will never be that expensive, the CSIRO lost their independence with the budget cuts and now every report they make is vexed by the minister for public affairs (remind anyone of Goebbells?).
What I find remarkable though is how we are now going backward in terms of our development; public transport is worse than before, the roads are degrading, we are told not to travel at certain times etc and for what, so we can give more of our incomes for bureaucrats?

Quote: