Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #31
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My sister in law bought a 207 1.4L about 3 months ago, looks spiffy for a chicks car. Her father tried to talk her out of it because it was too slow.

Now even she regrets buying it because it has no power.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2008, 04:33 AM   #32
Dan Gordon
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommy b
Is the 607 available out here? It's the luxury bardge that's got to be one of the fastest depreciating cars there is back in the UK. I think they were 30K GBP new and could be picked up for just over 10K GBP after 1 year.
You won't find many 607s, if any, sitting on the lot at a dealership. However, they are available upon special request.
Dan Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2008, 09:41 AM   #33
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
My sister in law bought a 207 1.4L about 3 months ago, looks spiffy for a chicks car. Her father tried to talk her out of it because it was too slow.

Now even she regrets buying it because it has no power.
I'm pretty sure that the smallest engine in the 207 is the 1.6L Petrol engine. It's the same as the one in the Mini, although tuned differently.
Should have gone for the diesel if you felt it was underpowered. They definitely aren't considering the huge amount of torque they have.

Edit: No, you're right. There are 2 1.4L petrol engines available.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #34
dave289
Banned

I have driven a couple of peugeots and was surprised by the ride,thiught they were better to drive than the average small car.I dont know anybody with a current model but i have spoken to owners of some older models and they have said they have had quite a few electrical dramas.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #35
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife and I have had many pugs. Thold 504 was a really good car until written off but the last three (she likes 'em - and keeps gettin' em becasue work pays for 'em) have been disasters.

brand new 2005 206cc - hard ride, plenty of grip. Both front seats broke, trim fell off. auto refused to change out of first gear, electric windows stopped working, roof broke, tailights stopped working - you have to wait six weeks for any parts. Peugoet Brisbane never seemed to have any courtesy available. Had a baby and traded in for ...

brand new 307xsi - auto problems again, electric window problems again, passnger front seat wouldn't lock into position, high beam stopped working, dash lights went out ugh! Traded early 2007 for ...

407 diesel - underpowered, overrated. window stopped working. Car leaked in the rain. Never matched economy figures bragged about. one day the car refused to rev over 1500rpm. Poor showing all three times.

Waited nearly two months to get leak fixed.

Wife went to a Territory Ghia in November 2007

Get a 504, 404 or 403 - or save yourself the trouble and buy a volvo 240!
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #36
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Peugeot have realised that they had quite a number of issues with their car and have embarked on trying to get better reliability, especially from their parts suppliers.
I personally think they have done a good job with our 2006 307. We've had 2 issues in the 2 years:
Faulty exhaust pressure sensor - took 2 weeks for the part to come from France and the car kept on going in to limp mode. Was frustrating driving in limp mode, but finally got fixed.
Faulty brake switch which was fixed easily by the dealer.
Apart from that, it's been absolutely perfect. No problems here.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #37
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a suggestion

Maybe you need another sales person who is almost local :P
/me looks around sheepishly & puts her hand up.

Will have to catch up with you guys to find out all about this train episode.....
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #38
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

this is totally a personal opinion hence very subjective but i honestly find them the ugliest cars on the market...sure they might be great to drive etc but that alone stops me from going near them (and the cars being a bit more expensive).

I know this sounds stupid but i am the one who has to look at it every time i walk out the front door...
Old 06-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #39
SNGT
BOSS 290

sister bought a 206 brand new in 2001 just sold it thsi year. thank god for that! was a great car new...........then problems. she know bought a bmw 120. now thats better quality. the 407 is beautiful looking car. but the autos in all of them r crap and being a panel beater and workin on them every week, its annoying cos they r unusually put together
SNGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #40
Sonik
Banned

Gutless, slow, unreliable, POS lemons.
Sonik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #41
UKXR8

Common as muck over here in the UK due to being v cheap/cash back type deals. Have driven a few, quality is at best poor, feels like its made out of tissue paper and snot...
Best avoided.
Good luck with the new job though!!
UKXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #42
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Around the western districts of Victoria they seem to have replaced most of the Fairlanes with 407 diesels. Nothing really wrong with the Pugs except that the petrol models can use a bit of rowing along, so are better in manual think it's the low torque free revving chuckability thing. Like the Golf's they got fatter before they got fitter.

Discos have a strong following out westvic too so guess it's about having the same donk and doing big clicks. I'd start by driving down to the local pony club comps a few times...Jodphurs are a underrated fashion item. Also get a ad in the back of the Country Style as it's the lady of the house that signs the Pug cheque.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #43
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The first things that come to mind are...

Hard to work on (mechanically)
Hard to get parts for
expensive parts
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #44
InTrail

Brother had a 205GTi back in the early 90's. First time he let me drive it, nearly threw the keys back at him b4 I even got it out of the driveway. No power steering and rediculously heavy. Also, the bright red carpet... too French for me.

Then I got it out on the open road - woohoo, that thing was a joy to punt hard & so torquey. Unfortunately by 60,000kms, his was starting to fall apart so he sold it not long after.

If I ever come across a mint 205GTi with power steering, would be sorely tempted.
InTrail is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2008, 12:00 AM   #45
Scone
Tool

My first car was a 404. It was fantastic and you still see quite a few on the road. In the sixties and early seventies they were very well regarded, reliable and handled better than most. Won a few rallys I believe. 504's are still sought after as taxis in the Middle East.

Might help if you find some oldies looking

good luck
scone
Scone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2008, 12:28 AM   #46
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke
Having a Peugot in Australia is like having herpes. Once you get one, you cant get rid of it.
agreed.
my mates uncle has lost count at 35 peugot's. Yes thats thirty-five of them, just his, not including the wifes, childrens, grandparents ect.
he loves them.
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2008, 01:41 AM   #47
Dan Gordon
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNature
I have a suggestion

Maybe you need another sales person who is almost local :P
/me looks around sheepishly & puts her hand up.

Will have to catch up with you guys to find out all about this train episode.....
Pop into the Peugeot showroom in Dubbo over the next few weeks and I would be more than happy to tell the story...and even show you the pictures!

hehe
Dan Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2008, 02:01 AM   #48
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTrail
Brother had a 205GTi back in the early 90's. First time he let me drive it, nearly threw the keys back at him b4 I even got it out of the driveway. No power steering and rediculously heavy. Also, the bright red carpet... too French for me.

Then I got it out on the open road - woohoo, that thing was a joy to punt hard & so torquey. Unfortunately by 60,000kms, his was starting to fall apart so he sold it not long after.

If I ever come across a mint 205GTi with power steering, would be sorely tempted.

Power Steering is for Poofs :

for 195/45/15's, the manual steering out on the open road is beautiful...

Not a car to go shopping in, however.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2008, 10:59 AM   #49
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The diesel engines in the Focus and the Mondeo are Peugot diesel engines. So if Peugot dealers charge excessively for servicing. What do Ford dealers charge ? and if FORD dealers are cheaper, service your Peugot there ???
Old 07-06-2008, 09:59 PM   #50
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do the Focus and Mondeo have FAP? (Particulate Filters)
The newer Peugeot Diesel's have them. They help reduce emissions even more.
Some of the extra cost is to cover the maintenance on the FAP as well.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #51
Jesk
certified nutter

A mates father has a 504 with over a million MILES on the clock and he reckons that it would die of shock if it every got a sevice
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post