Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Default Government has gone mad!!!!

Has anybody else noticed the growing number of "traffic calming" devices popping up on our roads???

In Grafton they have destroyed the main street!! Anybody not familiar with Grafton there is an awesome main street with 4 lanes, parking in the middle and angle parking on the sides. Last time I visited they have put concrete deflection devices at random intervals merging two lanes of traffic into one lane.

The same in Armidale where they have annoying little roundabouts and concrete chicanes freaking everyehere.

The reason given in Grafton was that Sophie kid who was run over by an old bloke so now they have decided that everybody is going too fast.

Am I missing something here?? Isn't the problem an old bloke who can't drive not people going to fast?? Reading the latest Open Road the NRMA are very happy that they have stopped new restrictions on older drivers. If only they were so eager to campaign for p plate drivers.

I also wonder how slowing traffic is good for the environment.

Ok rant off and flame suit on.

Go the blues!!!

sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Dezza
Parts bin special

I laugh on the freeway that they now have these concrete bollards all along the emergency lane, except for a select few "break-down zones". It would be convenient if the car chose one of those zones to break down in, rather than break down between them!

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Has anybody else noticed the growing number of "traffic calming" devices popping up on our roads???
I think you will find the problem is local councils, not the government in general.
and to answer your question, no they haven't gone mad they were mad to begin with. Get those that are not qualified to do anything to run a place and this is what you end up with.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could someone enlighten me to those qualifications? because common sense certainly isnt compulsory
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

So tell me, do you drive slower down your streets in Grafton/Armidale now?

If so, then they're obviously working.

I'm not following the environmental bit though
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
So tell me, do you drive slower down your streets in Grafton/Armidale now?

If so, then they're obviously working.

I'm not following the environmental bit though
Are you kidding I saw a VL Turbo and SS Commo screaming up the main street the other day. It's kind of a race to see who can merge first now.

I drive faster now just because they put these in. In the XE I just drive over the top of them lol
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 04:03 PM   #7
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Well good for the VLT & SS owners then

You drive faster as a form of protest? OK...
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
could someone enlighten me to those qualifications? because common sense certainly isn't compulsory
Actually I really think that common sense, even a trace of it, disqualifies you from holding a local council position. Even if it didn't anyone with common sense would not want to.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #9
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Government gone mad...what else is new?

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Same thing is happening in my area,I dunno about up that way,but here the more they put in the more "work" a few select companies get...Its corrupt as,but proving it is another matter.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #11
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

here abouts we have a similar problem creeping in... Easiest solution?... Buy an XW and just muscle your way through... concrete anything... BAH, drive over or through it it... merging traffic... same solution
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2008, 02:11 AM   #12
Jayden
Graphic Artist

They did all the new roundabouts, bike lanes, concrete islands, curb parking bays etc in my old neighborhood before I had a license. I couldnt see the point, if someones not paying attention then it seems like theres just 300 percent more chance of hitting something. And they removed a whole lane for parking making the street pretty narrow and inconvenient for buses which tend to drive over everything to get past. road toll went from 0 to 0 as far as I know.