Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
dreadly
Banned

Default Au 2 xr8 LPG conversion help?

Hey guys.. with fuel where i am at 1.80L im thinking about a gas, duel fuel conversion?
Has anyone done one? what are some pro's and cons? power loss/gain? Cost of set up/ and do i get the rebate?
Thanks heaps for any thoughts, suggestions, or comments, they'd be most appreciated! also its a ute size tank/shape? peter

dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

If you want to use cheaper fuel... then you shouldnt ask about performance factors... as they will be less in a high majority of vehicles... and all "cheaper" installs will have less economy and power...

Rebate... i'm not sure... but be ready to get a blasting if a certain other member here see's this thread...
Old 28-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I had a Lendi Renzo mixer ring setup on my AU XR8 sedan, and only lost 6rwkw, and economy was 18l/100km on gas (was 16l/100km on petrol). I would highly recommend it. Cost when I did it was $2700 new, or $2400 using second hand tank - now it would be up around the $3k mark (less any rebate, of course).

As long as you haven't had the rebate previously, and the ute is for private use (not business), then you can get the rebate. More info on the rebate is here:
http://www.ausindustry.gov.au/conten...BF33B2423F9DA6
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I've been recommended a Liquid injection set up on mine to actually gain power, if you are going to do it this IMO is the only way. It does cost more but it is better technology.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
347 mont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I've been recommended a Liquid injection set up on mine to actually gain power, if you are going to do it this IMO is the only way. It does cost more but it is better technology.

It'd be great if you can find someone who fits these systems. Been thinking about LPG myself and ATM I'll wait till someone can fit the L I systems. I've rung a few people here in the west and nobody seem to do them here.
Old 29-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347 mont
It'd be great if you can find someone who fits these systems. Been thinking about LPG myself and ATM I'll wait till someone can fit the L I systems. I've rung a few people here in the west and nobody seem to do them here.
look here for WA gas fitters doin vapour injection
Vapour Injection

My car T3 TS50 #75 Blueprint manual 1/4 mile 13.38 @ 102.97 mph TS 50 = 237.1 rwkw
UU TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 03:24 AM   #7
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadly
Hey guys.. with fuel where i am at 1.80L im thinking about a gas, duel fuel conversion?
Has anyone done one? what are some pro's and cons? power loss/gain? Cost of set up/ and do i get the rebate?
Thanks heaps for any thoughts, suggestions, or comments, they'd be most appreciated! also its a ute size tank/shape? peter
Been thinking about this one myself .. looking at ditching my VY SV8 and getting a AUII XR8 and running on LPG. The old Windsors seem well suited to this. Personally I'd say go for it (despite the issues I've had with my AU V8 ute, the LPG conversion is still worth it)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 08:30 AM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you ensure that every 12-18 months the gas converter is cleaned out, the mixtures checked, the plugs changed and air filter cleaned, gas is great.

My gas mechanic charges $77 for a dyno service which does the tuning bit. The plugs of course are a DIY job and cheap at $24odd bucks, the filters I use are K&N and hardly need doing but are easy enough to service or "recharge" as they call it!

On my SR sedan, I've only lost 3-4 rwkw which out of 118 kw is less than 3%. This is on the engine mapping for petrol. This gas setup though is the Impco Gas Carby type system. My Futura wagon loses a stack of power on gas, due to the massive restriction in the throttle body that a mixer-ring setup causes.

Any form of direct injection if well installed by good guys would work a treat on any vehicle. A V8 though has enough grunt not to need this, as JC will testify if you ask. If it's performance you're after the injection is the way to go. If you're happy with what you've got, an Impco gas carby setup would be fine. They are much better than a mixer-ring type, usually you set and forget.

All the best with your deliberations.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Ive been considering installing gas as well, but:

-How do the Windsors go on gas in general? Do they 'like' being on gas, or will the engine butt heads with LPG?

I was looking at getting a modern injection system (not oldschool mixer ring) has anyone else done this? I'm afraid of all the niggly gas problems, like not quite idling properly etc I bought the car as a 'performance' car/tourer I can have fun in, so I dont want to lose the fun factor.

Overall I don't want to get LPG to save money right now, straight away, I'm looking at it as a solution for the longterm problem (Fuel hitting $2-$3) and making the car easier to sell when the time comes (in a few years). In my (limited) experience LPG is a double edged sword. If done preoperly tho it can work remarkably well.

A friend of mine (new to the LPG industry) has told me a V8 (LS1 I think) dynoed before and after installtion (injection) lost only 5kws, and the only noticeable difference would come from the weight of the system.

I was thinking of getting extractors, upgrading the intake and then adding LPG injection, this way I could end up with more power than before?
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

use Crow 621371..........oh sorry i thought this was another cam thread :
Old 30-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
Cooper69S

On that link further up to WA installers - the first one listed is R.A.G.E High Performance LPG.
They did my windsor - AU2 Forte 5L with Crane 2030 cam, RR's, exhaust etc and got 162rwkw on lpg - dedicated gas (vapour injected). they've just rebuilt my engine last week to 5.6L and it goes and sounds fantastic - getting it dynoed at their workshop tomorrow hoping for 250rwkw+ once the intake is sorted which should be pretty good for lpg. I'm not sure if you're in WA, but if you are they'd be well worth a call. They've done several 302's and 347's on lpg vapour injection that I know of.
Otherwise contact Brad from ProFire (www.profire.com.au) as I know his engine management system has been used interstate.
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #12
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

So no dramas Cooper69? I read in the LPG forums a guy had a run of problems (with VI), but his 175kw Windsor was one of the first 3 in Australia to get done.
Old 30-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #13
Cooper69S

I had some dramas initially but they were all sorted out. Had some issues with it taking ages to start and stalling occasionally. in the end it seemed to be a bad batch of converters as it was replaced and I've done about 25000km since without any real dramas. Only remaining problem was that the cam was apparently advanced too far when it was installed (was installed by someone else) which was creating a vacuum problem at idle which the computer was a bit funny with (idle speed used to fluctuate up and down a bit) but they got it about 95% right and it never let me down. On a standard engine that wouldn't have been a problem anyway.
Now with the new engine they built the idle is awesome - very lumpy - and I'm hoping it stays that way after it gets its proper tune...
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #14
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Yeah my engine is standard, the only mods will be intake and exhaust/headers. Out of interest, why did you decide to go dedicated LPG instead of dual fuel?