Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
BillC

Default IAC and other things

I am having some trouble with the revs on my car staying high for about 1 second after you remove your foot off the accelerator. I have asked this forum if anybody knows what the problem is but the only replys I got were people experiencing the same problem. So I was having a play over the weekend and decided it was something to do with the IAC valve. Then the thought hit me to ask you guys how it operates and what sensors effect it. For example I know the power sterring sensor causes the IAc to allow more air through when the sterring is moved therefore higher revs. Could somebody in the know tell me what else effects the IAC, how and why ?

BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
BillC

I ask this because I noticed that when my engine is cold the revs are fine and go back to idle as they should. When the engine warms up or has been running far about 5 minutes the revs stay high for that 1 second delay and its driving me crazy. Any ideas would be appreciated
Old 26-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Manual? I find when this happens with mine, i have to press the clutch pedal all the way in and the revs go back to normal.

Theres a switch that the clutch pedal activates when its pressed/depressed, not sure of what it does ill have to look into it.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Perhaps give it a clean and see if that improves things any.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
BillC

It is a manual and I have cleaned the IAC valve with little to no difference. The clutch switch is a new one on me.. Where is it located and why would it control the revs ?
Old 26-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Clutch switch should only be there for cruise control.

I'd would say the problem is a gasket somewhere on the intake side. Either IAC, throttle body or intake gasket. If the intake gasket is broken you'd be able to hear it so it say that wouldn't be right.
I look at either the IAC or throtle body one, starting with the IAC

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
BillC

Thanks Superroo, I looked at the IAC gasket when I pulled the IAC off to clean it. I will check the throttle body on the weekend. The reason I was looking at sensors is because its fine when the motors cold but then after about 5 minutes it holds the revs. I would have thought if it were a gasket it would be like that all the time.
Old 26-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Have you given the car an ECU reset? That may be all it needs
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post