Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-06-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
congerr
Territory Good !

Thumbs up 1.8 lt cam belt

My focus has now done 75k with few problems other than tyres,brakes, 4 fuel guage senders,back window replacement as the demister shorted out. It has been oil changed and serviced kinda regularly, been back to dealers ( trying to find a good one still) 4 times. I love the car it handles awsome.
Can anybody advise the recommended life of the belt that drives the camshafts? The last dealer I asked said "right after it breaks" which is fabulous.
:eclipsee_
congerr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 10:48 PM   #2
whippet_zetec
Supes

lol...."right after it breaks" well that would be obvious wouldnt it.......

to answer your question I am not a mechanic so cant help you there but I have owned 3 cars one with 180,000 one with 256,000 and one with 90,000 on each clock when sold and never changed the belts on them...
Old 22-06-2005, 07:05 AM   #3
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

"Right after it breaks" is "just after a free cam bends valves and causes much internal damage", that's not good enough by the Ford dealer.

The Ford servicing handbook should tell you what is due at each service, so read up on it. Where do you live? Your dealers sound terrible. Fuel sender card should have been fixed first go.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 08:06 PM   #4
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most engines requires the timing belts replaced at 80000km - 100000km; but check your manual!!! If it's a chain (like my ST24 was) then they don't need changing.

I've had one snap prematurely in an older car and ended up selling it as was- it just wasn't worth the money to fix it....