Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #31
Mental
Cam Luncheon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I think the Mazda guys was making the point that it's not the weight, it's the radius of gyration that can affect acceleration and braking performance.

As you increase the rim size you more than likely will increase the radius of gyration and this will have an affect, although I'm not sure what the real world impact is.

You also need to start looking at maintaining the strength while keeping the mass of the rim under control.
Someones on the ball. I don't have the maths for it, but even if the rim is only a couple of kilo's heavier, the mass of the rim is now 2 or so more inches further out. Meaning that it has a greater surface speed compared to your old 14" rim. Thats where the extra energy is needed to accelerate or brake a bigger rim.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #32
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Bring on carbon composite wheel rims with aluminium hubs!!

The American car engineer/designer Pete Brock pricked up his ears when he heard about the solar racers outcornering their support vehicles. The racers which were designed for straight line efficiency on spindly narrow lightweight wheels on low-resistance tyres where outcornering the utes and pickups. He reckoned that lighter wheels had a cascade effect on a car design – lighter control arms, lighter unsprung mass, lighter mounting points, smaller brakes required, etc. Start off with light wheels and the resulting car is a lot more efficient.

It absolutely killed me when my dedicated track wheels (Honda Enkei CRV alloys) were slightly heavier than my road wheels (Honda Enkei Type R alloys) but at only $100 each they were hard to knock back.

Metal weighs more than rubber and Porsche (engineers not the marketing people) were saying anything under 50 series tyres are hard to justify.

Have a look at how heavy the DUB style chromies are for a scare when compared to stock alloys or even better forged alloys.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #33
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The lower you go in tyre profile the more "onus" you place on the cars suspension to do its job properly. Low profile tyres rely on the cars suspension to absorb all the bumps and control deflection as well as maintain proper tyre contact with the road..
Unless you drive on billiard table smooth roads all the time tyres with too low a profile can actually reduce handling performance.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #34
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

This is a good thread guys. I didnt have much of an idea on 'unsprung weight' and the like. But it seems as though, if you want your car to look good, handle well, and be affordable. Wheel diameter should be no bigger than 18"?

Personally speaking I am in 2 minds. I like the 15" Centreline's/Welds on old skool cars, but I also like seeing 17-18" simmons on them too or similar. Both styles are excellent wheels. Could convo's be use on track work? I dont know.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #35
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
This is a good thread guys. I didnt have much of an idea on 'unsprung weight' and the like. But it seems as though, if you want your car to look good, handle well, and be affordable. Wheel diameter should be no bigger than 18"?

Personally speaking I am in 2 minds. I like the 15" Centreline's/Welds on old skool cars, but I also like seeing 17-18" simmons on them too or similar. Both styles are excellent wheels. Could convo's be use on track work? I dont know.
Centrelines and convo's are extremely light wheels but they are relatively soft and damage easily, i personally wouldnt want to place much lateral load on those kinds of rims, they're designed for straight lines, i.e drag racing.
I know someone with weld pro stars and he did a hill climb in his XB and the cornering loads bent the spokes of the wheel and caused it to seperate and deflate..

Here's a pic: quite scary when you see what a bit of spirited track driving does to these types of rims..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ltofA0032R.jpg

Last edited by 4Vman; 08-01-2008 at 11:14 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #36
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts
Nothing like the sight of 305/55 15's under the back of a Falcon coupe. Next to that your 235/35 20's do look like they belong on a pulsar.
and the 15" will provide better traction and braking .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #37
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
Bring on carbon composite wheel rims with aluminium hubs!!

The American car engineer/designer Pete Brock pricked up his ears when he heard about the solar racers outcornering their support vehicles. The racers which were designed for straight line efficiency on spindly narrow lightweight wheels on low-resistance tyres where outcornering the utes and pickups. He reckoned that lighter wheels had a cascade effect on a car design – lighter control arms, lighter unsprung mass, lighter mounting points, smaller brakes required, etc. Start off with light wheels and the resulting car is a lot more efficient.
I passed three cars descending Mt Buffalo on my pushbike on Christmas day. I generally pass more cars than that descending Mt Hotham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
It absolutely killed me when my dedicated track wheels (Honda Enkei CRV alloys) were slightly heavier than my road wheels (Honda Enkei Type R alloys) but at only $100 each they were hard to knock back.

Metal weighs more than rubber and Porsche (engineers not the marketing people) were saying anything under 50 series tyres are hard to justify.

Have a look at how heavy the DUB style chromies are for a scare when compared to stock alloys or even better forged alloys.
My race car has 13 x 9.5" and 13 x 11.5" rims with some nice sized tyres. If I ask someone to lift them, they just about heave them over their heads as they are so much lighter than ordinary wheels and tyres.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #38
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

wow, that is amazing 4Vman. I can see the logic. Depending on application, its better to get wheels to suit what you do.

Do you think the width of the rim had any effect on why that wheel buckled like that?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 08-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #39
Disciple
Banned

If you want the best compromise, get some 18" rims and buy some quality rubber for them - Michellin, Pirelli etc. If you wanna be hardcore, import some Advans, or Volk/Rays or something. They're extremely light weight racing rims.
Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #40
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
wow, that is amazing 4Vman. I can see the logic. Depending on application, its better to get wheels to suit what you do.

Do you think the width of the rim had any effect on why that wheel buckled like that?
The wider the rim the more tyre you have and "generally" the more cornering load you can sustain.. wider rims will just make this problem worse..
xgs351 is spot on about rims dia.. the brake dia generally dictates the rim dia used, i.e for racecars, especially open wheelers they use the smallest dia possible dictated by brake caliper clearance, that way they maintain as much sidewall as possible to aid tyre life and durability as well as some cushioning by the tyre to maintain contact with the track..
Of coarse with heavier cars like sedans too much sidewall will make steering vague and create too much sidewall flex so there has to be a balance as well.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #41
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Race cars generally run 13" or 15" wheels, and by race cars I mean open wheelers. Formula 1, Formula 3, A1GP run 13" and Indycars/Champcars run 15".

Sports and prototype cars (ie Lemans) are heavier and hence need bigger diameter brakes to haul up the cars. To fit over the brakes, these cars need bigger diameter wheels. This is also why Indycars/Champcars run 15" rims compared to 13" rims on F1 cars, as the Indycars/Champcars are around 135kg heavier and don't have carbon discs.
F1 cars have such small rims and huge tyres because the tyres are used as a form of shock absorber, the suspension does very little in terms of absorbing bumps, the tyres are designed to do that.

I remember reading a little while ago that once you go lower than a 40 aspect ratio for tyres you start to lose sidewall strength and handling decreases. So for Falcons thats usually a 17 inch rim, the same as used by V8 Supercars.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #42
blueoval
Critical Thinker

hmm makes a lot of sense. I for one would want handling performance over looks. But if you can get both, then your winning. Of course depending on your application.

For me, its handling and straight line performance for street only, so in saying that, it would have to be a wheel between 15-17" with a width of no less than 7". On a falcon that is.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 08-01-2008, 12:28 PM   #43
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
F1 cars have such small rims and huge tyres because the tyres are used as a form of shock absorber, the suspension does very little in terms of absorbing bumps, the tyres are designed to do that.

I remember reading a little while ago that once you go lower than a 40 aspect ratio for tyres you start to lose sidewall strength and handling decreases. So for Falcons thats usually a 17 inch rim, the same as used by V8 Supercars.
With a monoshock for instance, both wheels can move up or down together and the car can roll, but one wheel can't move up by itself, so yes the tyres are an important part of the suspension. Monoshocks separate roll and bump forces better than the conventional system with two bell cranks and separate coilovers. Triple shock systems are also used.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #44
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
What exactly were the Pro's? Beside how it looks...
I feel with bigger wheels, the car has got more grip cos I feel the car's much more planted on corners. However, it might be the different tyres I have on.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #45
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got 19's. Can only go as fast as the speed limit. Doesn't matter how quick your car is or how big the wheels you'll still hit the speed limit.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #46
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Race cars generally run 13" or 15" wheels, and by race cars I mean open wheelers. Formula 1, Formula 3, A1GP run 13" and Indycars/Champcars run 15".

Sports and prototype cars (ie Lemans) are heavier and hence need bigger diameter brakes to haul up the cars. To fit over the brakes, these cars need bigger diameter wheels. This is also why Indycars/Champcars run 15" rims compared to 13" rims on F1 cars, as the Indycars/Champcars are around 135kg heavier and don't have carbon discs.

don't for get on most open wheelers the side wall accounts for 1/3-1/2 or suspention travel...
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #47
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

I went from 195/65/14 to 205/40ithink/17 on my e30. handling improved 1000 fold. im not sure whether its the tyre but before the car slid all over the place and handled no better than a ba xt falcon.
The overall diameter of the wheel and tyre is just a touch smaller than the 14's because of the tyre profile but the difference in handling was phenomenal.
The new tyres are chinese brand jintong and the old ones were falken. go figure.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #48
BHDOGS
Banned

when it comes down to it most people who fit 18inch and up wheels are doing it for looks if you were serious about track days and hill climbs youd obviously set yourself up that way but for most regular joes i doubt there would be much diffrence when your doing 60.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #49
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

even if you bought a wheel for racing and for its advantages in weight/strength/perfomance, your still going to choose one that looks good in the end...
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #50
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk O'lass
don't for get on most open wheelers the side wall accounts for 1/3-1/2 or suspention travel...
In the ground effect days, the springs were that stiff that the suspension movement came from the suspension arms bending.

It is also worth mentioning that open wheelers don't run a lot of tyre pressure. My car cold runs 14 PSI front and 16 PSI rear.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #51
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
I feel with bigger wheels, the car has got more grip cos I feel the car's much more planted on corners. However, it might be the different tyres I have on.
That would be a combination of possibly better tyres, and the fact that the 74kW 146Nm engine through an automatic gearbox was struggling enough with the standard size wheels already, it can barely turn those 17s.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #52
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
My race car has 13 x 9.5" and 13 x 11.5" rims with some nice sized tyres. If I ask someone to lift them, they just about heave them over their heads as they are so much lighter than ordinary wheels and tyres.
I went to the Melb Grand Prix last year and was talking to the RMIT university racing guys. (Love the uni racing idea - KISS and engineering > bs.)

I’d just read about the Dymag (UK) composite wheels and mentioned it to them, they pointed me to their own composite wheels and suggest that I try lifting them. Incredibly light.

Tried lifting one of the Porsche 911 BBS racing wheels (rear) later on and they were much heavier than I was anticipating.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #53
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the biggest i will go is 18" and ill have them either 8" or 9" wide. i cant afford wider :P
ive got 17x8's atm and they are alot better then the 16x6 stockies
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post