Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-07-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Default Anyone in VIC got a 3000rpm torque converter behind their 6?

Hi All,

It's a big ask I know, but just wondering if there are any Melbourne based members out there with a 3000rpm torque converter behind their 6 cylinder?

If possible I'm hoping that I'll be lucky enough to be taken for a quick ride just so I can get an idea of the driveability.

I currently have a 2700rpm converter (not yet installed), and was very happy with the way it drove in my last car, but I'm thinking of getting a slighter bigger converter.

Thanks,

Justin.

private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 11:59 PM   #2
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

As far as i know, a few members have custom 3500ish rpm stall behind there cars and they are loving it. Although i think most of them have 3.73 or 4.11 gears as well.
They up the converter and make the gears shorter and it makes the pickup point around where the stock one is, although alot more fun when it does it pick up.

Casper has the 3500rpm and one of those gear sets and he can drive it to work and back in peak hour traffic and not have a problem. His wife can even grab the keys and go for a drive due to the manners of the car
Just watch out when casper is in it and sinks the right boot. It's bloody quick.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
stiddy
Banned

Caspers is 3500+rpm stall and 4.11 diff gears... = 70m smoke screen when not careful lol

Last edited by Casper; 27-07-2007 at 02:35 PM.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Caspers is 3500+rpm stall and 4.11 diff gears... = 70m smoke screen when not careful lol
Thanks guys, ideally that's the combo I'd like to go for, but I'm a little worried about driveability and fuel consumption. That's why I thought I'd try and beg anyone in Melb to take me for a quick drive in theirs!
Old 28-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

unfortunatly if ya wanna go faster its gonna use more fuel....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint
unfortunatly if ya wanna go faster its gonna use more fuel....
Yes definitely. With the 2700 in my last car, economy was really pretty good considering I only drove it in stop start peak hour in the city, and I was always giving it a hard time. I'm just curious as to whether a slightly bigger stall is gonna make much difference. Naturally it will make some difference (which I expect), but if we're talking a massive difference, I'll have to think about it.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:35 AM   #7
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Anyone out there in VIC willing to meet up and let me be a passenger, pretty pretty pleeasse!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whilst I'm in Adelaide, I recently had a 3000RPM stall convertor fitted to my I6 and I'm actually glad I removed it. In stop/start traffic it was fine, but it really lost the feeling of throttle control. Around here there a numbers of roundabouts on inclines that I have to negotiate and having the motor revving at around 3000rpm at very low speed was pointless IMO. But it was great for wheelspin (but not on my inclined driveway!) off the mark and fast launches, but to be honest, why this in a typical car driven on public roads?
I wasted my cash and learned my lesson. I chose not to have my car optimised just for the quarter mile. That's my rant! _2:
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #9
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarby
Whilst I'm in Adelaide, I recently had a 3000RPM stall convertor fitted to my I6 and I'm actually glad I removed it. In stop/start traffic it was fine, but it really lost the feeling of throttle control. Around here there a numbers of roundabouts on inclines that I have to negotiate and having the motor revving at around 3000rpm at very low speed was pointless IMO. But it was great for wheelspin (but not on my inclined driveway!) off the mark and fast launches, but to be honest, why this in a typical car driven on public roads?
I wasted my cash and learned my lesson. I chose not to have my car optimised just for the quarter mile. That's my rant! _2:
Thanks for the feedback mate, really appreciate it.

I was perfectly happy with the 2700 that I've got (was in my last car) as it drove almost like a complete stocker until you put your foot down.

I definitely don't want an ultra slippery converter that's going to be revving high all the time, so that's why I thought I'd ask for a ride off someone!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #10
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

i thought that like e-series, au's went into limp mode with anything above a 2800rpm stall??

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_4.0
i thought that like e-series, au's went into limp mode with anything above a 2800rpm stall??
nope.. I had a 3000 stall for about 9 months. It would drop into LHM on the odd occasion but was usually fine.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 12:48 AM   #12
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
nope.. I had a 3000 stall for about 9 months. It would drop into LHM on the odd occasion but was usually fine.
You've got a 3500 stall now don't you? How do you find that? I know you love it, but what about for just general driving?
Old 07-08-2007, 12:55 AM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I dont recommend it for lots of daily driver duties to be honest. Its a toy, not a work car. It will happily drive in peak hour traffic and the likes.. but fuel usage is severely affected.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:01 AM   #14
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I dont recommend it for lots of daily driver duties to be honest. Its a toy, not a work car. It will happily drive in peak hour traffic and the likes.. but fuel usage is severely affected.
Thanks for that! Your thoughts on the 3000?
Old 07-08-2007, 01:04 AM   #15
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

It was a good compromise.. but it needs and edit to help it.

It will also shorten the life of your transmission.. the BTR gets hot with it pretty quick, even with a cooler. Thats why I had mine totally rebuilt to deal with it.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:15 AM   #16
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Thanks Casper, really appreciate the advice. Apparently the auto that I've got ready to go has just been rebuilt and strengthened, so hopefully that should be ok.

How bad did you find fuel consumption with the 3000?
Overally, my 2 main concerns are that I don't want it to feel really slippery and sluggish while cruising, if you know what I mean, and fuel consumption. I do expect it to be worse, but not sure how much worse.

I was perfectly happy with the 2700 in my EL (which is what I'll be using if I don't upgrade to 3000), economy was fine, and it drove like a stocker most of the time. I'm hoping that another 300rpm really shouldn't be a drastic leap.

Thanks,

Justin.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:16 AM   #17
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

2700 or 3000, I doubt you'd notice any difference.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #18
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Mine's a 3100 rpm unit and took a few drives to get used to the extra power that comes in. Fuel economy a little under 450 kms around town these days. Currently using the odo on my current fill and it's heading for about a 430 km tank if I don't take any freeways .

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #19
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whats the best one for me i have 314rwkw and looking at getting a torque converter i want it for street an stirp please help
Old 19-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #20
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tregs
whats the best one for me i have 314rwkw and looking at getting a torque converter i want it for street an stirp please help
I'd say with that sort of power you have some sort of B series turbo? If thats the case then what works for an NA AU I6 is probably not going to be close to what works for a B series Turbo. Might want to try in the B series area, theres a few guys over there running larger converters.
To be honest I don't even know if the B series and AU 4 speed auto's share compatible converters.