Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #1
98fairmont
Starter Motor

Smile Interior question

Guys & girls,

Got some great news today, have finally got myself a ghia interior for my AU fairmont.

I've got first dibs on anything from the interior, only problem is I've got exams at the moment and can't get down to the wreckers to sort it all out until next week. In the next couple of days I'm going to give them a list of the bits I want so they can start ripping them out of the car and have them ready for me to pick up next week.

So my question is: what did the Fairmont Ghia have that the Fairmont did not?

My list so far:

+ leather steering wheel
+ leather seats
+ woodgrain door trims
+ leather handbrake lever
+ leather/woodgrain t-bar
+ chrome door-handles
+ premium sound sub grille

Can anyone think of any other bits and pieces I'm forgetting?

Cheers in advance for your help

98fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

umm ...
- woodgrain & chrome shifter surround??
- umm i think that the center console was leather?? not sure on that though migh want to double check
- and uve probably checked ... but are both trims the same colour? like both black? lolz because i know that mine's 2 toned (2 shades of grey) and i made the mistake of ordering a Black Leather Shifter ...

but post some pics up when it's done .. will look class!!!! well done!!!!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
98fairmont
Starter Motor

Cheers mate, will certainly put some pics up.

I believe it's all the same colour taxi grey (like my Fairmont) but will check with them tomorrow.

The standard Fairmont has the leather console lid (or maybe it's 'pleather', not sure) but I will add that to the list just in case.

Can anyone think of anything else? There's gotta be some Ghia owners out there somewhere... :

www.cardomain.com/ride/2486572
www.aufalcon.com/jo
Old 13-06-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
HLC
Audi S3

thats about it.

same as my mums fairlane.

but specifying the trims, leather backing/armrest thing with woodgrain spear and woodgrain round the switch.
Old 14-06-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
but specifying the trims, leather backing/armrest thing with woodgrain spear and woodgrain round the switch.
yeah .. uve got all the woodgrain headlight switches not all came with but check if this one did, and that 1 in the center with Door Lock, Antena and Demister on it .. but the GHIA would have the GHIA logo on it ... and probably has a traction switch on it ... just some things to look at ... haha ull really need to take your car down there and compare the 2 ... and i dont know if the power window switches on the ghia had lights that lite up the buttons???

sory if this just confusses u more ... but i tried looking for some GHIA parts ... and throughout the Series' they changed many different little things ... what models the 1 that ur scrapping?
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia

Last edited by nversace; 14-06-2007 at 12:02 AM. Reason: misread
Old 14-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #6
98fairmont
Starter Motor

I believe it's a series 1.

Am gonna pinch the roof lining and overhead console too if it has one, because mine doesn't... and will pinch the wiper arm, because my intermittent switch has been stuffed from day one.

The standard Fairmonts have power window switches that light up (or at least mine does).

Would love to get a hold of a woodgrain headlight switch and woodgrain surrounds for the power window switches but was under the impression those were only found on the LTDs. Same goes for the woodgrain cup holder in the back and the insert around the rear vents on the centre console.

But yeah I will be doing a good compare next week before I cart all the stuff home... just wanna make sure I can give them a good list of parts so they can get started.

Biggest problem is going to be carting all the parts back to my place... I'll be heading out there with a small garden trailer attached to my folks' Subaru Liberty (no tow ball on my Fairy)... think I'm gonna have to make a couple of trips!

www.aufalcon.com/jo
Old 14-06-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nversace
yeah .. uve got all the woodgrain headlight switches not all came with but check if this one did, and that 1 in the center with Door Lock, Antena and Demister on it .. but the GHIA would have the GHIA logo on it ... and probably has a traction switch on it ... just some things to look at ... haha ull really need to take your car down there and compare the 2 ... and i dont know if the power window switches on the ghia had lights that lite up the buttons???

sory if this just confusses u more ... but i tried looking for some GHIA parts ... and throughout the Series' they changed many different little things ... what models the 1 that ur scrapping?
thats the LTD you are talking about, with the woodgrain headlight switch etc.

ghias were the same as the fairlanes.

dont believe me? check the brochure scans.
Old 14-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98fairmont
I believe it's a series 1.

Am gonna pinch the roof lining and overhead console too if it has one, because mine doesn't... and will pinch the wiper arm, because my intermittent switch has been stuffed from day one.

The standard Fairmonts have power window switches that light up (or at least mine does).

Would love to get a hold of a woodgrain headlight switch and woodgrain surrounds for the power window switches but was under the impression those were only found on the LTDs. Same goes for the woodgrain cup holder in the back and the insert around the rear vents on the centre console.

But yeah I will be doing a good compare next week before I cart all the stuff home... just wanna make sure I can give them a good list of parts so they can get started.

Biggest problem is going to be carting all the parts back to my place... I'll be heading out there with a small garden trailer attached to my folks' Subaru Liberty (no tow ball on my Fairy)... think I'm gonna have to make a couple of trips!
woodgrain around the switches is fairlane/ghia item as far as i know.
Old 14-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #9
98fairmont
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
dont believe me? check the brochure scans.
Pardon my ignorance, but where would I find the brochure scans?

www.aufalcon.com/jo
Old 14-06-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
HLC
Audi S3

http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...ry.php?cat=504 - AU's falcons fairmonts xr's etc
http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...ry.php?cat=505 fairlanes (you want NU- all the way down the bottom)
Old 14-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #11
98fairmont
Starter Motor

Cheers

Anyone else can think of any parts please post em here...

www.aufalcon.com/jo
Old 14-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #12
HLC
Audi S3

wow, ok interesting.

i just pulled out my old series 1 and 2 fairmont/fairlane brochures, and it appears that neither the ghia or fairlane in series 1 or 2 (ghia only) got woodgrain surrounds on the power window switches (which all light up- if they dont, then the globe is blown)

this is the interesting part. i cant find my S2 fairlane brochure, but my mums S2 Sportsman Fairlane HAS woodgrain powerwindow switch surrounds, but it DOES NOT have the woodgrain headlight switch surround, or the woograin around the TC/demister/lock/aerial buttons.

HMMMMMMM.
Old 14-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
Umineko
Karasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
wow, ok interesting.

i just pulled out my old series 1 and 2 fairmont/fairlane brochures, and it appears that neither the ghia or fairlane in series 1 or 2 (ghia only) got woodgrain surrounds on the power window switches (which all light up- if they dont, then the globe is blown)
this is the interesting part. i cant find my S2 fairlane brochure, but my mums S2 Sportsman Fairlane HAS woodgrain powerwindow switch surrounds, but it DOES NOT have the woodgrain headlight switch surround, or the woograin around the TC/demister/lock/aerial buttons.

HMMMMMMM.
Ok
None of the S1 had woodgrain on the center switch escutchion (the part that covered the TC, power aerial etc) not even the LTD, S2 saw the the woodgrain fascia added to the center consol which was std on Fairlane and LTD (I don't know about the Fairmonts) LTD's did have a wood grain headlight switch, power window bezels, center consol rear insert and cup holder in the armrest) which most Fairlanes and ASAIK no Fairmonts did get. you could use the LTD light switch (if you can find one) but the woodgrain is different (cotton wallnut in the LTD and virtual maple in the Fairmont / Fairlane, lighter, more orange in colour and different pattern)
Some Fairlane models came with woodgrain bezels for the power window swiches, "sportsman" may have been one of these I can't say for certain, I think it was offered as a trim option on others

Last edited by Umineko; 14-06-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 11:37 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

going off your list.....

+ leather steering wheel - fairmont had it too
+ leather seats - optional on fairmonts but more common on ghias
+ woodgrain door trims - fairmont didnt have these, ghias only
+ leather handbrake lever - again ghias only
+ leather/woodgrain t-bar - again ghias only
+ chrome door-handles - again ghias only
+ premium sound sub grille - was optional on fairmonts but more common on ghias

Can anyone think of any other bits and pieces I'm forgetting?

Depends on what you want but here's a few for thought......

footwell lights - all you need are the bulb holders, your fairmont would already have the ones in the front but the ghias got the one in the back too, grab the clear plastic bit for the light, and the bulb holder, and wire it in....
Old 14-06-2007, 11:54 PM   #15
98fairmont
Starter Motor

Cheers, yeah my Fairmont didn't come with any of those things, I will be grabbing them all out of the Ghia. Whoever bought my baby new was too cheap to even go for the passenger airbag option (I'm picking one of those up too!)

Can someone explain the rear footwell light concept a little further? Mine definitely has lights in the front footwells, but where are the rear ones mounted? Underneath the driver and passenger's seats?

You don't mean the courtesy lamps in the doors do you?

www.aufalcon.com/jo
Old 15-06-2007, 05:02 PM   #16
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Cheers, yeah my Fairmont didn't come with any of those things, I will be grabbing them all out of the Ghia. Whoever bought my baby new was too cheap to even go for the passenger airbag option (I'm picking one of those up too!)
LOL ... haha yeah mine was too cheep to get the GHIA, but got the fairmont fully optioned out, all thats missing is the leather lolz ... just old dudes being tight i suppose
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 15-06-2007, 05:57 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Can someone explain the rear footwell light concept a little further? Mine definitely has lights in the front footwells, but where are the rear ones mounted? Underneath the driver and passenger's seats?

Nah not the courtesy lamps in the doors, if you look at the back of your centre console underneath the air vents for the passengers in the back, you'll see there is a part of the plastic that can pop out. You can replace it with a clear lens and put a light behind it to throw a bit of light into the floor area in the back. A very easy mod to do, all you need to do is get the bulb holder and wire it into your front ones, and it'll light up.
Old 15-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Even my old XR6 had dual airbags
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2007, 10:26 PM   #19
98fairmont
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Nah not the courtesy lamps in the doors, if you look at the back of your centre console underneath the air vents for the passengers in the back, you'll see there is a part of the plastic that can pop out. You can replace it with a clear lens and put a light behind it to throw a bit of light into the floor area in the back. A very easy mod to do, all you need to do is get the bulb holder and wire it into your front ones, and it'll light up.
Ahh ok that makes sense ta. Checked my car, and it already has that light.

But yet no passenger airbag, lol

www.aufalcon.com/jo
Old 15-06-2007, 11:53 PM   #20
98fairmont
Starter Motor

Ok next question folks...

I spoke with the wrecker today and he is leaving the interior complete until I can go down next Tuesday and check it all out.

We haven't agreed on a price yet until I have seen it. I was told a while ago that they usually do them for around $500, but I think that was just for door trims and leather seats. I have since added a few 'extras' to my order (see list above!)

I am told that the interior in general is very tidy but the leather is a bit worn on the driver's seat (nothing unusual, just cracking a little). All the other seats are apparently fine.

So yeah I am just trying to get an idea of a fair price. Has anyone else bought a leather interior (or knows of someone who has) and if so what bits did you get, what sort of condition was it in and how much did you pay?

Cheers.

www.aufalcon.com/jo
Old 16-06-2007, 12:35 AM   #21
FTe_XR8
formerly "3x-puursui7"

i didnt get the leather interior but i got the black xr cloth ones with all the seats & door trims only cos me 4 hunj and i got em to fit in my car, front seats upside down in the back with back seat on them, two door trims in front passenger side and the rest in the boot! very worth the money cos the seats feel awesome!!!

http://www.aufalcon.com.au/3x-puursui7
FTe_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #22
98fairmont
Starter Motor

Just an update folks...

Agreed on a price of $600 for:

+ leather seats
+ door trims (complete)
+ leather t-bar and woodgrain surround
+ leather handbrake lever
+ parcel shelf and speaker grilles
+ chrome door-handles

Haven't bothered with the leather steering wheel because it was pretty rooted (and I already have a LTD leather/woodgrain one anyway) and the console lid was exactly the same as the one I already have.

The donor car didn't have anything else I was interested in, though I was offered the VCT motor for $700. Tempting, but I have enough work to keep me busy for now. Pretty surprised how little it takes to write off a Ghia, it had only had a little tap up the bum, probably 30 kmh max. Apparently the IRS was rooted though.

Was pretty stoked with the 'package deal' considering the price you pay for these bits & pieces separately (ebay!)

Am picking it all up Saturday morning, can't wait! :

Pics to follow...

www.aufalcon.com/jo
Old 21-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #23
Umineko
Karasu

sounds like a good deal, no way known you could get your seats retrimmed in leather for that price
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post