Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-05-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

Default Rego

How hard is it to transfer rego between cars and does it cost anything? The reason I ask is my sister is thinking of buying a new car and she said I can use her old car until I buy mine (if i want some more time to save money for my first car).

The problem is if I do this i have to pay the rego and insurance which is due around there. I don't mind paying these if I could transfer them, I'm not too keen on driving without insurance. What's the penalty for driving without rego? (id still have plates and a sticker (expired) so its not likely i would get caught... lol

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:31 PM   #2
Kryton

you cant transfer rego without a current RWC certificate.
insurance isnt transferable either. it all depends on YOUR driving history as to how much you will pay.
as for driving an Unregoed car, you have to be a total knobhead to actually do it. no rego = no insurance. you smash into something or kill someone your in the shit big time. just imagine plowing into a nice new Merc which inturn plows into a building which then partially collapses and injures someone. think you can ever afford to pay for all that?

Last edited by Kryton; 08-05-2005 at 08:35 PM.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2005, 08:33 PM   #3
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukey
What's the penalty for driving without rego? (id still have plates and a sticker (expired) so its not likely i would get caught... lol

Thanks.
$750 and a few points, dont do it if you hit someone or anything your lifes moneys is gone and no TAC help for you.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

I don't want to transfer the rego from my sisters name to me, i want to transfer the rego of my sisters (old) car onto my car when i buy it to avoid paying twice. I'd get a RWC with the car i buy.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can cash in what it left on the rego and get a refund. Not sure about transferring it though. The refund takes a few weeks and comes back in the mail.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:38 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldnt drive unregistered or uninsured. Its not easy to speed 10km/h over the limit and get pulled over by a cop who will check your rego for sure and then your in shit. Also you hit a nice car say like a porsche $200000 at least or even a falcon or commodore $30000 would you be able to pay it back. $30000 could also ruin you just as much as, but $200000 and your screwed royal. Also if you injure any person or damage property your up for that aswell. When I was getting my licence the education program stated that a fatal car accident is worth $1 million at least for all the costs. Most of Australia would never be able to get rid of that debt and your life would be ruined.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post