Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-04-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
inghome
LZ Focus Sport

Question Unknown warning chime.

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, just come over from the BA area. Both my wife and I have traded in our Fairmonts and downsized to CL's, both are the same colour hatches and only one digit different with our rego plates. A bit corny I know....

Anyway, absolutely loving the cars but I was wondering if someone else's automatic chimes when reversing. Mine's a manual and all is quiet when reversing. I havent come accross it in my owners manual yet, so I thought maybe I would get a quick answer from the forum.

Nothing is indicated in the message area and the chiming stops as soon as the selector is moved to drive.

Regards

inghome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

As far as i know mate. there was a thread in here before that discussed it. and people found that the Auto's had this chime your talking about. apparently a new feature that makes sure that you know its in reverse... not sure why its not in manuals....

Here ya go mate...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...=Reverse+chime

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 10:10 AM   #3
inghome
LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
As far as i know mate. there was a thread in here before that discussed it. and people found that the Auto's had this chime your talking about. apparently a new feature that makes sure that you know its in reverse... not sure why its not in manuals....

Here ya go mate...

Sorry about that.... I should have searched the forum first.
Thanks.
Old 20-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by inghome
Sorry about that.... I should have searched the forum first.
Thanks.
its kool. no worries. Hope the thread helps.. to tell you the truth searching for it was a tad bit hard. Reversing chime only brought up this thread....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
simonr
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn

Here ya go mate...

Those germans!!
what will they think of next
Old 20-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

hey dont pay out the germans ;)

reversing chime would be a total PITA, glad its not in manuals
Old 20-04-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reversing chime does come in the manual. My bosses LS LX does it and she got it taken off when she went in for her service. But it took away the indicator fuction

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 11:00 PM   #8
Marshy79

haha it took away the indicator function?
As in they dont have indicators anymore?

Well for half the population that makes no real difference i guess... seeing as they dont know what they are anyways!
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 11:42 PM   #9
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no the whole indicator function. The when you tap it and it indicates 3 times for you. She lost that but thats a small price to pay to get ride of the annoying beep

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
inghome
LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
no the whole indicator function. The when you tap it and it indicates 3 times for you. She lost that but thats a small price to pay to get ride of the annoying beep
I didn't know that. "tap it and it indicates 3 times" I will try that one out today.
Old 22-04-2007, 10:59 PM   #11
amlohac

Found out exactly what the problem is with the chime in reverse, it seems that the new focus from a certain build date are all flashed with the wrong software. Basically the software that was used is for a car with reverse sensors, so even if your focus doesnt ave the reverse sensors it still has the software installed and beeps non-stop.

Handy knowing a ford engineer. Clears things up really quick. Wonder why for sales and service employees dont know this info?
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 12:07 PM   #12
inghome
LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlohac
Found out exactly what the problem is with the chime in reverse, it seems that the new focus from a certain build date are all flashed with the wrong software. Basically the software that was used is for a car with reverse sensors, so even if your focus doesnt ave the reverse sensors it still has the software installed and beeps non-stop.

Handy knowing a ford engineer. Clears things up really quick. Wonder why for sales and service employees dont know this info?

Now that makes sence, not all cars have this problem. Our's has a build date of Nov06.
I will mention to our Ford dealer.
Old 23-04-2007, 05:18 PM   #13
scooby

I picked up my new Focus LX last friday, it's a manual and beaps it head off when reversing. It's way too loud and annoys the **** out off me. It's a Feb 07 build. It's back at the service dept. today cause it rained last night and water got into the hatch, the back bumper is badly aligned and the plastic thingy on one of the rear doors is falling off. Sheesh I hope I didnt buy a lemon ! Besides all that, it's a great drive.
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #14
Matt RS2000

Not happy!! How loud is way too loud?? My car is so loud I can't hear anything but the exhaust!! Hope they fix your leak mate. Not want you want on a brand new car!!
Matt RS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 09:29 AM   #15
inghome
LZ Focus Sport

I'm getting worried about our new Focus's, too many issues....
I spoke to my dealer yesterday and the service manager was not aware of any campaigns with regard to the reversing sensor software option being loaded in error.
He gave us the choice on taking the car in straight away or waiting for the 3000km "peace of mind" service. I guess they will look deeper and maybe verify the software then.
We will try and put up with it until then.

Maybe these problems should be added to the fault register posting.
Old 24-04-2007, 10:16 AM   #16
scooby

Inghome, what other issues do you have with your Foci ?
Old 24-04-2007, 11:07 AM   #17
inghome
LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby
Inghome, what other issues do you have with your Foci ?
I have only two issues thus far, I've only had both cars since last Tues.
I was talking generally, other peoples problems that may become mine in time.
My two problems are....

- Loud unwanted reversing chime. (not serious)
- Glove box light stays on when lid is shut, easily fixed with self adhesive surface protectors (rubber feet). on Both cars. (not serious)
Old 24-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #18
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
They could have opened the cluster and disconnected the speaker, thats where all the noise comes from anyways.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 10:19 PM   #19
amlohac

All the last lot of focus's that came over have the annoying reverse chime thing (my my last post) It a computer fault, just re-flash with the older software. And i think the reason for the problems is the south African build quality its farkin shite
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #20
scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlohac
All the last lot of focus's that came over have the annoying reverse chime thing (my my last post) It a computer fault, just re-flash with the older software. And i think the reason for the problems is the south African build quality its farkin shite
Yes pity we don't get the german built ones. The German built Fiesta's build quality is way better.
So I got my boot leak fixed. It was leaking in from under the tail lights, they replaced the rubber grommets. Also re-allinged the hatch and rear bumper, so everything looks straight now. They replaced plastic fascia thingy on the back door but it's starting to fall off again...
To Ford's credit they did fix things really quickly. I didnt book it in, just took it there and said fix it please.
Old 27-04-2007, 11:30 AM   #21
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXtremist
They could have opened the cluster and disconnected the speaker, thats where all the noise comes from anyways.

But if you do that, wont you loose all other chimes such as door ajar and seatbelt, i think all new cars have to have a seat belt chime.
Old 29-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #22
inghome
LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
I have only two issues thus far, I've only had both cars since last Tues.
I was talking generally, other peoples problems that may become mine in time.
My two problems are....

- Loud unwanted reversing chime. (not serious)
- Glove box light stays on when lid is shut, easily fixed with self adhesive surface protectors (rubber feet). on Both cars. (not serious)
Update....
But wait, there's more.
Car is going in tomorrow now because the rear hatch won't open. Had a lot of rain on Thursday, was working then!
Have asked that they look at the reverse chime also. Will keep everyone posted on the outcome.
Old 30-04-2007, 09:32 PM   #23
inghome
LZ Focus Sport

Smile

Quote:
Update....
But wait, there's more.
Car is going in tomorrow now because the rear hatch won't open. Had a lot of rain on Thursday, was working then!
Have asked that they look at the reverse chime also. Will keep everyone posted on the outcome.
Picked up car today from dealer and everything has been fixed.

- traced the reverse chime to an option that can be switched off. I advise anyone with the problem to take it back to your dealer. It's fixable!