Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 04-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #31
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Renaultsport Clio 182 = 131kW 200Nm, 1090kg

Renaultsport Clio 197 = 145kW 215Nm, 1240kg

That being said, the claimed 0-100km/h for the 182 was 7.1 sec, claimed for the 197 is 6.9 sec. The 197's got a more advanced chassis (its safer too) and I believe can put its power down better then the 182 could, plus I think they've given it a fatter mid-range then it had before.
It's 182 hp VS 197 hp , which equals 15hp difference; and l was rounding the weight up to the nearest hundred. Depending on where you look the weight for the 182 is quoted at anything from 1035kg to 1090kg BTW.

The big appeal of the 182 is it's raw edge, which (from what I've read) the 197 has lost a bit.

A quote from EVO:

Quote:
My only concern is that you need to be going really hard for the 197 to shed its clinical efficiency and really start to deliver visceral thrills. Perhaps the root of the problem is that you no longer get that compelling big engine/little car feeling. The balance of grip to grunt has clearly swung in favour of the former, and the inescapable truth is that a degree of intimacy has been lost as the dimensions have grown. It’s still a great drive, a true cutting-edge hot hatch. I just need a bit of time to mourn the passing of the last lightweight performance bargain before declaring a new king.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:12 PM   #32
Danny
GT4.

hence my reasons for not wanting the 197.... Steffo: You driven them both one after the other have you?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #33
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcod
It's 182 hp VS 197 hp , which equals 15hp difference; and l was rounding the weight up to the nearest hundred. Depending on where you look the weight for the 182 is quoted at anything from 1035kg to 1090kg BTW.

The big appeal of the 182 is it's raw edge, which (from what I've read) the 197 has lost a bit.
The Clio 172 never made 172hp, the 182 never made 182hp and the 197 does not make 197hp. :

172 = 124kW... 124kW = 166hp and/or 169 PS.

182 = 131kW... 131kW = 176hp and/or 178 PS.

197 = 145kW... 145kW = 194hp and/or 197 PS.

197 is the first one to actually have the name mean anything, and that's the power output in the globally unrecognised, only used in Japan and certain countries in Europe, Pfederstarke, which differs to true Horsepower. So there's 18hp between the 197 and 182 (194 to 176). Or 19 PS between them. Or 14kW. However you like to measure the same thing. :nutsycuck

A real 172hp would have been 128kW, a real 182hp would have been 136kW and a real 197hp would have been 147kW.

Don't disagree about the hard edge stuff though, I've heard alot of it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
hence my reasons for not wanting the 197.... Steffo: You driven them both one after the other have you?
No, I haven't been to Europe any time recently, so no. However from what I've noticed in reviews, that's what I believe, if I had driven them before, I'd have put know instead.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #34
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The Clio 172 never made 172hp, the 182 never made 182hp and the 197 does not make 197hp. :

172 = 124kW... 124kW = 166hp and/or 169 PS.

182 = 131kW... 131kW = 176hp and/or 178 PS.

197 = 145kW... 145kW = 194hp and/or 197 PS.

197 is the first one to actually have the name mean anything, and that's the power output in the globally unrecognised, only used in Japan and certain countries in Europe, Pfederstarke, which differs to true Horsepower. So there's 18hp between the 197 and 182 (194 to 176). Or 19 PS between them. Or 14kW. However you like to measure the same thing. :nutsycuck

A real 172hp would have been 128kW, a real 182hp would have been 136kW and a real 197hp would have been 147kW.

Don't disagree about the hard edge stuff though, I've heard alot of it too.

No, I haven't been to Europe any time recently, so no. However from what I've noticed in reviews, that's what I believe, if I had driven them before, I'd have put know instead.
Why do things always get so technical?

The 182 has also been previously quoted 6.9s 0-62mph. Either way, it's still a light car and its power-to-weight ratio of 168bhp/tonne is virtually identical to that of the fast 3.0-litre BMW Z4.

Does all this information you've now pointed out to us really matter? Not really.

I'm going to wait for a drive before I make judgement about the 197... but so far my opinions of the car aren't that great.

I bought the 182 because;

Best value for a raw Hot Hatch that makes your hands sweat, and gets your heart rate pumping. It comes with standard (yet to be confirmed on aussie 197) rain sensing wipers and auto XENON headlights. It's cheap as chips to ensure, is relatively unknown in Australia... and handles like its on rails. It's light, it's raw. It's something the 197 will never be.

So, Congrats again Danny on the car (Back on topic guys). I'm sure you'll love her as much as I do. I've already put 28,500kms on her, and she isn't even one year old yet! Considering the Fiesta had 29,000kms after 20 months... Well, goes to show how many 'long drives' and 'long way' home I take!

To take someone else's quote, the Fiesta ST is;
Cheaper and less powerful (at 150bhp) than the Clio, Ford's latter-day XR2 is fun to drive but lacks the pacey edge to make it great. Good value but ultimately unsatisfying.

And that's just it - the Clio to ME is great value, and still ultimately satisfying.

To go back to the comment above about the Z4 BMW... a new guy at work WANTED to have my car for a day, in exchange for his keys. So, I obliged and handed him my 182 Cup keys... and he gave me the Z4 3.0L keys. Why?

To quote my work mate;

'I've heard great things about them'

And that's just it, to those in the know the 182 Cup is the Hot Hatch king... getting the formula all right - Raw, Hardcore, Lightweight and a massive engine. Unfortunately... the 197 I don't think will live up to my expectations.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)

Last edited by Teki04; 04-03-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #35
photn
AFF Post NAZI

okay im giong to go on a limb here. but

WHO THE **** CARES ABOUT STATS. this is danny's New ride that he was showing us and telling us about, if all you ppl are gonna do is just winge and compare stats of the ****en car that a dumb *** monkey can look up on the net for themselves and see then you are all ****en pathetic.

Keep on topic.

Danny, btw, the car looks awesum in person. and yes it does sound like a turbo lol hehehehe, i like how small it is that it can squeeze between a parked car and the car in the next lane lol..........and yes it does go hard lol.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #36
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
i like how small it is that it can squeeze between a parked car and the car in the next lane lol..........and yes it does go hard lol.
Was so funny seeing this little thing being so inconspicuous as onlookers were stunned.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #37
Danny
GT4.

LOL Steve, Sean, Damo, Thanks ;) Loving the car, As are my mates (one of them after a high speed roundabout run went so far as to say that there's no way his Rex could keep up with the Clio. He was FLABBERGASTED). I just hit 1000 kays today, and its booked in for its 1st service on thursday.

I'll get pics soon, I've been to busy Driving and working and going to uni ;)

Steffo, I reckon you need a missus. If you have one, then you need to take her out more :P :P :P :P :
Old 05-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #38
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Steffo, I reckon you need a missus. If you have one, then you need to take her out more :P :P :P :P :
:

Hahahaha! Love that one!

Enjoy the car mate, be sure to put all of those 131kW/176hp/178PS to good use :eclipsee_
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #39
Danny
GT4.

LOL thanks mate, Will do,

Anyways, here are the first batch of arty farty shots for your viewing!

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...02#post1316902

-Dan