Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-04-2005, 10:22 AM   #14
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
I'm saying if a system is put in place where different parts are used - via ADRs on new cars for example, then ethanol fuel would be OK in those cars. Even if it is cheap to make, what makes you think that fuel companies would pass on the full savings to motorists? Chances are you'd still pay $1.30/litre for premium. but now you'd have parts needing more frequent replacement due to the slight corrosive properties of even a 10% ethanol blend. You may be able to replace parts with ethanol tolerant materials - but I don't see why people should be forced into replacing parts through premature wear for a "green" fuel that most likely will cost them the same as regular petrol! If Brazil's 22% blend requires modifications to export Commodores, then there's no way that I can believe that 10% blends are harmless to current petrol cars. The government's half baked effort to get ethanol into our petrol tanks will have limited success as it hasn't been thought through properly.

I think ethanol blends could work with changes in vehicles - but for a straight fuel substitute in CURRENT everyday cars, it has more negatives than positives in my opinion.
Frankly I dont care if any fuel companies pass on any savings to joe average, I can make it myself, and so could anyone here with 2 plastic drums and piece of glass pipe. That alone makes it worthwhile to do the small modifications required to run "PURE" alcohol. So far the list I can make out for my XP is, a neoprene fuel line, replace any rubbers on fuel pickup, replace one rubber gromet on the carbie with a metal one, and drill some holes to make the carbie rich to the level required by ethanol. Hardly big bucks there. Fuel injection is apparently even easier and requires no drilling, as the fuel is injected under pressure. I'm almost certain there is more I'll need to do, and I'll keep researching and find out, but I'm not gonna abandon it just because of paranoia.

As ive said before, but you obviously didnt read, if you run premium unleaded or most normal brands of unleaded, you are ALREADY running 10% ethanol. Has your car exploded yet? Rotted the cylinders out? No? If you have some science or some research you can point to that backs up your point of view, please share. Vague fears arent gonna cut it.

Just because Brazil demands mods to imported commodores doesnt mean its necessarily required. Chalk it up to the 1000's of pointless requirements and laws we live with everyday as well. A bit of paint and a nickel plated fuel line doesnt sound like the engine had to be overhauled to me.

Noone is being forced into buying ethanol, you are welcome to keep using petrol until it hits 5 bucks a litre. Your choices to pay lots of money, instead of researching if ethanol is the boogeyman you "think" it is, dont concern me at all.

This is what concerns me. Alcohols are the ONLY option I've seen so far that allows people to keep their V8's/Big 6's and not have to abandon them(Who you gonna sell them too after all??) to purchase a hybrid electrofarter. If I have to run ethanol to keep my 8, I will do it. If you dont want to, up to you. LPG isnt an option, its a fossil fuel derivative, and will only be cheaper for a finite amount of time.

You are quick to condemn the qld government for promoting the only fuel thats going to keep our fuel guzzlers on the road cheaply, that doesnt seem sane unless you have an alternative you wish to share?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Last edited by Sourbastard; 13-04-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post