Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

Default Need a water tank any suggestions.

I am going to buy two 9,000 litre water tanks to put beside my house in the next month. Has any one bought a water tank recently and if so what deals did they get. I am in Melbourne so I need some one that can deliver to my place.

Bright Green XP Coupe
9" 3.55 LSD, C10 and mild 302 Windsor

Cruizing the roads 70's style
XPcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

My favourite topic! :P
Poly Tanks... Where do I start!
Make sure you have some flexible hose between your tank and your house/other fittings, Gives it some room to move. The tank walls will move as water levels go up and down, so the flexible hose helps with this. Takes pressure off the side wall.
Every tank we have ever owned has been placed on a level bed of sand, which has been boxed in by sleepers to stop it washing away. Never had had a drama.

Have seen some poly tanks split from top, right thru the side wall, and halfway into the base of the tanks!!
Team Poly have a big issue with their "Moulded Outlets". Instead of using normal tank flanges, Team Poly have moulded the tank outlet into the side wall, putting a fair bit more pressure on the wall itself.
My inlaws have a Team Poly Tank, the spare outlet has a bung in it, and it has now split. No pressure on that side whatsoever, and it still let go.
Team Poly would not grant them a warranty claim as -"Warranties apply to the original purchaser only and are not transferable"
Even if the product is faulty, the inlaws do not have a hope in hell, as they purchased the block about 12 months ago, therefore the warranty isn't worth the paper its printed on.
Tank is only 4 years old, with a 25 year warranty, which is now useless!
It's not just Team Poly with issues, Bushman tanks split open quite easily too, but they are a heavier tank, with a separate outlet. Cost a bit more, but seem to have less problems. Bushman warranty is a lot better too. Fix or replace guarantee!

I saw a tank just last week, the owner had it on a tank stand, but the floor was made up of 50mm SHS welded about a foot apart from each other right across.
There was not enough support for the floor of the tank, and it has split open.

If properly installed, you shouldn't have any dramas.
Not all Poly Tanks split, and not all poly tank brands are crap.
But I would steer clear of Team Poly for sure.

Hope that makes some sense.

Have you settled for Poly, or are you open to suggestion?
As the Zincalum tanks look tops too, especially in Colourbond colours to match the roof of the house etc.

Cheers

Darran
Old 02-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPcoupe
I am going to buy two 9,000 litre water tanks to put beside my house in the next month. Has any one bought a water tank recently and if so what deals did they get. I am in Melbourne so I need some one that can deliver to my place.
If you do go this track XP don't get it installed for the rebate. What Melbourne water are starting to do after you register they will start billing you for the water you use. Our neighbor had there's installed and registered for the rebate next thing he knows he gets a bill for usages. Just install them your self.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
If you do go this track XP don't get it installed for the rebate. What Melbourne water are starting to do after you register they will start billing you for the water you use. Our neighbor had there's installed and registered for the rebate next thing he knows he gets a bill for usages. Just install them your self.
yeah I heard that too. Also you pay $500 to get it installed by a plumber and get a $250 rebate. Lucky I do every thing my self. The forum will tell me everything I need to know about installing it right. :

Bright Green XP Coupe

Old 02-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

We installed a few. Bloody easy, even after a dozen stubbies.
Will you need a pressure pump? As most companies I deal with offer package deal on a tank and pump. Generally get the pump for half price.
Don't know much about rebates, as most of my tank sales head for properties.

An Installation link from Team Polys' website-
http://www.teampoly.com.au/Pages/Com...tallation.html

Cheers

Darran
Old 02-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
First Ive ever heard of this,charging you for rain,wtf?whats next charging for the air you breathe..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #7
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
First Ive ever heard of this,charging you for rain,wtf?whats next charging for the air you breathe..
I haven't heard of that happening up this way. But I did hear they're charging irrigators for their water pumping licences, when they haven't pumped a drop all year due to the drought!

Another good tank company- Bluescope Water
http://www.bluescopewater.com/

Cheers

Darran
Old 02-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
WOLF
Track Red XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
I haven't heard of that happening up this way. But I did hear they're charging irrigators for their water pumping licences, when they haven't pumped a drop all year due to the drought!

Another good tank company- Bluescope Water
http://www.bluescopewater.com/

Cheers

Darran
Do you install many poly tanks below ground level and have you encountered any cons so far? building at the moment and looking at doing this...
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8Rob
Do you install many poly tanks below ground level and have you encountered any cons so far? building at the moment and looking at doing this...
There are purpose built under-slab tanks available from Nylex Water-
www.nylexwater.com.au

The Modular Tank page won't load, I suspect that is where I have seen them before.
Haven't installed anything like this before.

Cheers

Darran
Old 02-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Do you mean that Melb tap water is FREE?
Old 02-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #11
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I think whats meant is they are charging for the tank water on top of the mains water charge,I myself am putting in 2-20,000lt tanks and Ill be buggered if anyones gonna charge me for rain water...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #12
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
No we pay for water usage. and there is set amounts and charges. but apparently if we report to have a tank there is a extra charge on the water bill. I not sure how it exactly works. same as the LPG $2000 rebate. they did it so they can find out the cars using LPG and apparently there going to turn that around and charges some how in a few years. Thieving Government.

Bright Green XP Coupe