Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 21-11-2006, 08:51 PM   #1
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fiesta on ULP

Hi All

As my mum's just bought a new Tango WQ LX 5 Door auto (to be collected 9/12/06). Id like to know from anyone that has a Fiesta had any problems running ULP (91) (bearing in mind she not into power of performance or a car fanatic). I know the Ford website say's 91 to 98 (which seems a large spread). The salesman says that its fine on ULP (may go slightly better on PULP). Mum's not worried about it going a tad better on PULP as long as it runs fine on ULP.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 09:03 PM   #2
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I found it ran fine on 91 octane.... but then I didn't really use 91 octane on too many refills to notice a difference. I think it was a little more harsh though, particularly in Australia's heat with the engine struggling! 98 was great, but as a compromise I'd say go with 95!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 09:04 PM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

yer dude. it runs fine. though the Fez was designed for 95 octane it will run perfectly fine on 91. i ran my one for its first 4 months on 91 and there wasnt a problem.

go 4 it.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
I found it ran fine on 91 octane.... but then I didn't really use 91 octane on too many refills to notice a difference. I think it was a little more harsh though, particularly in Australia's heat with the engine struggling! 98 was great, but as a compromise I'd say go with 95!
Thanks for your feedback mate. Ive run PULP & ULP in my car's & sometimes I mix it up. I can give you the hot tip Mum will never fork out for anything but ULP that's why I was just seeing if anyone had any problems with it. I assume the one we test drove only had ULP in it & that ran fine. Not enough power for me but it handled very well on the windy road I took it on.

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Old 21-11-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
Thanks for your feedback mate. Ive run PULP & ULP in my car's & sometimes I mix it up. I can give you the hot tip Mum will never fork out for anything but ULP that's why I was just seeing if anyone had any problems with it. I assume the one we test drove only had ULP in it & that ran fine. Not enough power for me but it handled very well on the windy road I took it on.
OH, well I don't think the engine is going to die or anything. Plus, your mum wouldn't notice any increase in engine noise or rattle unless you told her :yeees:

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm... yeah if she cant feel the differences between ULP and PULP, then just use ULP. The car should be alright on ULP, however you might wanna run 98RON PULP once in a while just to clean-out the carbon deposits that can harm the fuel system.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 12:10 AM   #7
Steffo
LPG > You

I've run ULP in it twice. 10L of Caltex ULP once, got about 8L/100km on it but, didn't notice much hit because there was ~8L of PULP (98) in it beforehand.

Second time was on the way back from the Wagga AFD, went to fill up at a Mobil there, go to the 'Premium 98' pump and see a sticker... 'Contains Lead.' Stuff that... fill it with ULP. That was from almost bone dry to full with it. Ran fine on the way back to Sydney, used 3/4 of the tank and the rest of the driving was done in Sydney to empty, returned 6.12L/100km, but you really noticed that it would pull timing for the lower octane fuel, there was a noticeable performance hit. Filled it up with some Caltex 98 afterwards, ran like normal again.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 12:12 AM   #8
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

I dont think it will make a scrap of difference for you're mum which fuel she runs.

It's not like shes going to redline it to the shops everyday.

My mums Honda civic only ever runs on 91 and it never sees past 3 thousand RPM (except for when i drive it, i give it a bit of a clean out )

It now has 80 thousand kms and it runs PERFECTLY.

I think alot of it has to do with the way you drive it. Bad fuel + young hoon = screwed engine.

Bad fuel + old lady - RPM's = last forever
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
zing

Yeah i normally run on BP ultimate or at least premium. But my Mum has filled it up on occasion with ULP :yeees:
I find it seems to run harsher on ULP and a little better throttle response with 98. For that reason i try to avoid filling up with regular.
Old 23-11-2006, 01:08 AM   #10
JD2004

My mum drove my XR5 and ran it through to 6500 rpm every gear to 5th, and that was with 100RON, ok we may have alittle different mothers but my Fez ran fine on 95 the 2 times i put it in, ive never used 91 in a car. so i cannot comment on that particular fuel.

Luc
Old 23-11-2006, 09:41 AM   #11
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How would running 91 sit with the warranty should anything go wrong, book says 95 is required for the vehicle......personally I dont think the $2 saving at the bowser is worth the risk.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 10:37 AM   #12
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
How would running 91 sit with the warranty should anything go wrong, book says 95 is required for the vehicle......personally I dont think the $2 saving at the bowser is worth the risk.
My WQ service manual on page 31 says that the minimum fuel is 91 ron. In the owners manual they state on page 138 that the engine was designed to run on premium unleaded (95ron) but that its ok to run 91 ron. They go on the say that running 91 you will experience minor power loss, economy and increased engine noise.

I think they only state 91 ron to make sure that they keep the cheapskate owners happy, the car was designed to run on premium and thats what it should get. After all the increased engine noise, is the car protesting at having to detune itself to run on the stuff.

My Fez will only ever run on a premium fuel, and any owner that has any mechanical sympathy with their cars will give it the fuel it runs the best on. You are spot on its not worth saving $2 to give the car a fuel it wasn't really meant to run on.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #13
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
not sure mate...the cars where designed in germany and for Europe which has a minimum of 95 (well so im told) ....so dunno. i think tiy should call the stupid box for that info.

(stupid Box being FORD)

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #14
zing

stupid box? i dont get it?
was that an attempt at a joke :P
Old 04-12-2006, 11:29 PM   #15
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I run mine on Mobil Synergy 8000 average 42mpg. 91 it did 37mpg.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 02:21 AM   #16
Steffo
LPG > You

Just ran it on ULP for a full tank in Sydney driving again (damn pump was out of PULP and they didn't mark it, and I was at the end). Got average-crap economy, 8.63L/100km, and there was noticeable power-loss. The car couldn't chirp on a 6000rpm 1st-2nd shift, whereas on PULP it will do so happily. Also it makes a funny pinging noise when accelerating through the lower gears on ULP.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #17
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not worth paying 10c/litre less for ULP If you're a car enthusiast, no matter what you drive, you'd want to use stuff that's at least 95RON.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 11:40 PM   #18
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
Hi All

As my mum's just bought a new Tango WQ LX 5 Door auto (to be collected 9/12/06). Id like to know from anyone that has a Fiesta had any problems running ULP (91) (bearing in mind she not into power of performance or a car fanatic). I know the Ford website say's 91 to 98 (which seems a large spread). The salesman says that its fine on ULP (may go slightly better on PULP). Mum's not worried about it going a tad better on PULP as long as it runs fine on ULP.
Well I got my way Mum put 40litres of PULP (95) in it yesterday I drove it tonight & compared to when I drove it a week ago with (ULP) I think it feels better for it. Not that I drove it very far. :lookedat:

Quote: