Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-03-2005, 06:48 PM   #1
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Buying a Car - Is this dodgy?

Hey Guys

Well sold my BA and am downgrading to an R33 Skyline for a while (bought a house)

Anyway I'm interested in a car I saw advertised on the net. Its pretty cheap (about $4000) less than most others in the trading post.

So I was all set for a testdrive and was even thinking of putting down a deposit afterwards but I just rung the seller and it dosnt smell right.

Firstly we have the car being $4000 cheaper than market value. Secondly in the pictures it has no numberplates but when I emailed him he said it will come with NSW rego. And lastly which is what has put me off, when I asked his address he said he wants to meet me at the local servo!

SO anyway
1) is meeting him at the servo mean something is amiss
2) how do I find out if its not stolen - does REVS provide this info?

Cheers
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 06:56 PM   #2
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

In victoria, I think that either VicRoads or the RACV can do a stolen vehicle check free of charge. I know that one definately does it, but can't remember which. Being from NSW, I'd just say call whatever the northern versions of VicRoads or RACV are.

Good luck.
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I'd check it is Australian Complianced before anything else... A few people i know have been burnt on Imports... If it doesnt't smell right, it is probably not...

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 07:13 PM   #4
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Better ask him for the engine no and rego etc before you meet with him... who knows he may not even have the car and steal yours when you turn up, lol.
Old 23-03-2005, 07:21 PM   #5
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Go the gut instinct mate

Women do it alot, and it works... if it doesn't smell right, then it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 07:34 PM   #6
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i checked with the dept of fair trading. basically they said

1) Ask to see the rego certificate
2) match the engine and vin numbers with the certificate
3) ask to see the sellers drivers license - match the photo with the seller and the name with the nam on the rego papers
4) ring the RTA and check that the rego number is not expired or invalid
5) do a revs check - this guarantees there is no money owing BUT DOES NOT guarantee it is not stolen or a stat write off.

OK - so I can do all the above and check it out......but still meeting at a servo seems so dodgy...maybe im just paranoid
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 07:48 PM   #7
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha i've done many deals at a servo, mainly as i'll meet you halfway type thing. other times due to it being at night and a good chance a servo has adequate lighting to inspect the car. but as others have said, make sure it a has no finance owing, not stolen, was registred before eg complianced. etc other things to check is whether its been written off and repaired, a VIV check can be a pain if it applies in you're state. those type of cars are a bit of a worry due to their non comliance type issues if imported etc. good luck if you decide to go further.
PS. in Victoria there are proffessionals that do car inspections for a living not that costly and would be able to tell you if its dodgy, they should be available in other states too.
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 07:49 PM   #8
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

He might want to meet you in a servo so you don't come back and steal something from the car from his house. My friend was selling a R33 GT-R, and told someone where he lived, the next day the GT-R badges on the rear wing were gone.

The $4000 below market value does sound weird though, he wouldn't be able to register the car in any state without a compliance plate though.
Old 23-03-2005, 07:51 PM   #9
Slicer

Maybe he just doesnt like doing business at the home.

My sister rang up about a gemini which was advertised once, and the guy insisted that he brings the car to us... and brought it at night.

The car was absolutly beautiful...

went and spotted it during the day... and noticed the floors were rused through, rims scratched to pieces...flakey paint.....

Make sure its at daylight
Slicer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 07:51 PM   #10
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check that the Nissan build plate is not engraved, if it is it was rebirthed possibly in Japan. Check out http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/ there is some really good info there.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 08:34 PM   #11
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

And if its from a certain group of 'misunderstood' car enthusiasts then it is guaranteed to be dodgy one way or another! You know the ones I mean!
bdave351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 09:02 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah, the servo thing seems sensible to me for the reasons outlined above. As has been said, check, check and check again that all the numbers match and ask as many questions as yuo can. Usually you can tell if people are genuine or not in a matter of minutes, if it doesnt seem right, walk away.
Old 23-03-2005, 09:33 PM   #13
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

If I were selling anything like that or from a newspaper ad or whatever I wouldn't do it from home either.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 09:59 PM   #14
ba bullet
Banned

Quote:
1) Ask to see the rego certificate
2) match the engine and vin numbers with the certificate
3) ask to see the sellers drivers license - match the photo with the seller and the name with the nam on the rego papers
4) ring the RTA and check that the rego number is not expired or invalid
5) do a revs check - this guarantees there is no money owing BUT DOES NOT guarantee it is not stolen or a stat write off.
bring a fews heads with ya and do all that
if you or your friends are not streetwise dont bother
dont think cameras at servos will make u feel safer, there always poor quality
might be nothing but could also be a junkie doing a rip

Last edited by ba bullet; 23-03-2005 at 10:03 PM.
ba bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 10:41 PM   #15
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Mate, honestly.....your mad for even thinking about it.
I would just give it a miss and find one that feels right.
That to me is dodgy all over. if you can't sell from home my guess is they are not legit.

Last edited by Yaw; 23-03-2005 at 10:43 PM.
Yaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 12:06 AM   #16
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I've heard it often, not to give your home address if you're selling certain types of car/bike. A good friend of mine had his motorcycle stolen when he had it advertised for sale, and a few 'tyre-kickers' had gone over it in the days before it went.

His wanting to meet at a servo might be him protecting himself, but as has been mentioned.. make sure it's daylight, he has all the rego papers etc etc.
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 08:39 PM   #17
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

PM me. A friend of mine has a silver R33 which she is looking to sell. It's very clean inside and out, and all genuine (apart from aftermarket cat-back and rims).

The car is located in Sydney (north side).