Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
Ozian
Starter Motor

Exclamation Changing AUII I-6 serpentine belt

Hey fellow AU owners, this is my first post here. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone here could help shed some light on for me.

I was wondering how hard it is to change the serpentine belt on a 2001 AUII Fairmont with the standard 4.0L six. It looks to be relatively simple, but it's not obvious how to release the tension pully to slip it off. Is it simple once you know the trick?

The reason I was is that I just had my Fairmont serviced and they charged me $54 in labour to replace the belt, and I when I saw that once I went over the invoice in detail at home just about flipped. : All my experience is with V8's and I've never done any work on this car myself, only in order to ensure that I don't void my extended warrenty. It takes me less than 5 minutes to change the belt on my pervious Mustangs (1979 and newer), so I'm just wondering how much this dealership has gouged me. :

Also, they did a tranny flush (spilling tranny oil all over the place in the process... but that's another gripe altogether) and on my invoice it says they used Castrol TQ Dextron II. Isn't Dextron II the fluid they are supposed to use for manual trannies? Ford service book calls for Castrol TQ-95 or equivalent, and Castrol's own website says that TQ-95 is designed specifically for the BTR-A transmission, and that "Under no circumstances should alternative fluids be recommended as a suitable equivalent. Non-approved fluids will result in loss of shift performance and reduce transmission life." Even if they used TQ Dextron III, Castrol does not recommend this fluid for the Ford BTR-A transmission. Let's not even get going on the fact that they charged me $110 for 4 litres of whatever they put in. :

I'm getting ready to go back to the dealer and talk over these issues with them (I'll be polite and respectful, as I want this resolved and I know that going in with guns blazing is not a good way to get any concessions... at least not initially), but I'd like to see what you folks think on these issues.

Any comments/observations/similar experiences would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ian

Ozian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post