Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #1
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mustang sales in NZ pale compared to AUS

As many may be aware, over 26,000 Mustangs have been sold in Australia. Yet over the pond in NZ, only about 2,400 have sold. So while we have 5 times the population of NZ, we have nearly 11 times as many Mustangs. Your chances of seeing one here is more than double compared to NZ.

The interesting, thing, though is that grey imports are legal in NZ, and as such, there are a large number of previous generation (05-14) models over there. About 1,300 - which is huge! Here in Australia, my guess is there would only be about 200-300 of that generation Mustang in the whole country.

The Mustang is also more expensive in NZ, but not by a huge amount. Base model there is about 60k vs 50k here. So someone with the same money in NZ could afford one, they just might have to buy a 4-cyl instead of a V8. Wages are lower in NZ, but so is the cost of living.

Are there any other reasons people can think of though, that it might not have taken off over there in the same way as here?

Interestingly, I noticed that other sports cars fare even worse in NZ. For example, in Australia they've sold about 27,000 Toyota 86s and Subaru BRZs. In NZ - only 1,200! That's a factor of 22 to 1! We have nearly 5,000 Nissan 370Zs, they have about 200 (factor: 25:1). As such, I think sports cars in general in NZ are not popular. But why?

Last edited by MrZ; 23-11-2019 at 09:21 AM.
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: