Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Francis

Default Anyone that was around the 60's - 80's street machine era?

Hi guy's

I'm after anyone that was around the street machine era during the late 60's to the mid 80's.

Long story made short, I'm trying to find out some more info about Valvoline XLD.

I know that to most the general consensus of Valvoline is that it's just a run of the mill joe average product. Not to be compered to the likes of Penrite or Nulon.

There has been a few events or comments I have come across that have just kept me interested in the product.

I'm yet to find out more on this, a very well regarded No BS style engine builder I know told me that for many years during the 70's era Valvoline XLD was the top choice for tuff street engines. GTHO, XU1, ect. He even told me that it was used in a supercharged speed boat motor that ran on methanol. It was often the speed shop oil. He mentioned that only once oils like Corse Plus and Penrite HPR came out and where directly marketed toward the performance street / race seen that XLD took a back seat and just became a standard type oil. The latter popularity of synthetic's pushed the perception of XLD further down, but he still had no issues using it in tuff V8 engines driven hard. This to me in the current day seems odd as the oil is now a entry level range product and most of Valvoline products would not seem a match for Castrol Edge, Penrite or Nulon.

I'm keen to hear more from anyone that was around that 60's to 80's street machine era that could tell me more about how XLD was used.

I'm also keen to hear if anyone has any recent stories of uses with XLD and it's latter developed oils like Engine Armour. I'm just trying to see past the marking (or lack of it) and perhaps there oils are a under rated gem?

Francis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post