Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
xp_wannabe

Default How to remove and replace radiator:

Hey guys, I had a look in the AFF Technical Docs but couldn't find anything specific.

Im going to be replacing my cracked radiator tomorrow in my AU2 XR6 (manual) with a new one.

I am assuming the procedure to remove the old radiator will go something like this:

1. Drop coolant and remove all hoses
2. Unbolt condensor assembly from radiator
3. Unplug wiring harness to thermo fans
4. Unbolt radiator assembly from car
5. Remove radiator and fans as one unit

Does this sound feasible? It looks easy enough to get in behind the grill to unbolt the condensor from the radiator.

I am then going to remove the thermostat, and flush the block with the engine running (with the heater on).

I will then fit the new radiator, and flush the whole system a few times again.

I was thinking I could re-attach all the hoses, except the top hose where it joins the thermo housing. I could point the top hose to the ground, put the garden hose in the thermostat housing and flush the system like this. Would this work or does it need to be done opposite?

Then I will fill with coolant and demineralised water, and drive... The radiator shop is going to pressure test for me on Monday.

Any tips or hints will be much appreciated!

Thanks, Mark

xp_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post