Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
wadexr583

Default How long to build a new car?

Hi there. As the title suggests I was wondering about the timeframes it takes to build a new FG (or any car) from scratch.

I have purchased an FG XR8 ute and am (painfully!) awaiting its arrival, dealer says fourth week of July. What I have been told was the car was due to go into manufacture in the first week of July and be finished by the end of the second week, then a week or so to transit it up to Brisbane and a few more days to sort out pre delivery stuff.

But does it really take 2 full weeks to manufacture a car from scratch? I actually don't have a clue into how long it would take. Maybe someone who works or has worked in the industry could add something to this?

I'm not flaming Ford or the dealer into the time taken to get it, on the contrary. I am merely interested in the inner workings of car manufacturing.

And when I said painfully waiting, well that's the missus description, I thought I was being quite bearable, I only get on this website once a day, fliick threw the latest Wheels/Motor articles every few hours, not to mention the brochure that looks thoroughly used.

wadexr583 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post