Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 05-06-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
marcosambrose

Default The Fiesta XR4/ST Thread

Okay this is an introduction thread to all those who dont know this hot hatch

First off id like to invite Ford Australia to take up the oppertunity to bring this little rocket down here. They said that they are waiting to see the success of the Polo GTi then decide whether or not to import it.

I say screw that just bring it here already.

* 2.0-litre 150 PS Duratec engine (110kw)
* Unique ST design 17" 11-spoke alloy wheels
* Lowered and stiffened sports suspension
* Uprated braking system
* Sports-tuned steering
* Performance exhaust system
* ST-branded partial leather and performance fabric sports front seats
* Body-coloured sports ‘aero’ kit including high-intake front grille, side skirts and rear spoiler
* Body-coloured door handles and bodyside mouldings
* Power heated, body-coloured door mirrors
* Unique sports gear knob and ST leather-wrapped steering wheel
* ST scuff plates, metal pedals and silver-effect door pulls
* Stereo CD/radio with remote audio controls, six-disc in-dash CD-autochanger
* ’Quickclear’ heated front windscreen
* Alarm – Thatcham Category 1
* Available with 2.0-litre 150 PS Duratec petrol engine
* Available as three door bodystyle only

marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

They're out of their mind if they DONT bring it here.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #3
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
They're out of their mind if they DONT bring it here.
I second that.

Ford Austarlia already have a substantial share in the medium and large car sales throughout all of OZ, and it would just be dumb if they didnt grab this opportunity to start picking at the small car segment. The rate petrol prices are going, alot of bigger car owners will be concidering a smaller car.

On another level it would be good for ford oz to stick it to all the other smaller cars in terms of the best all round package available (hopefully under 30g including onroads). It truley is a little rocket as per UK vids ive seen and they highly rate it.

110kw is exceptional power output for a small car but the only thing that is a bit of a bummer is that its not turboed or S/C. The Polo gti is 110kw Turboed with a potential of exceeding 150kw with just a chip, bigger turbo and exhaust/air mods. Now thats impressive but will be exy.

Anyways yes i wanna see it here in oz. :thebirds:
Old 05-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This car can do only good for FORD. Having a hero fiesta will improve sales of the fiesta as people will understand what the fiesta is capable of. While not as quick as the GTI180 or Clio the ST runs rings around them in creature comforts.

In terms of modding the ST is great. A full exhuast gives a 18hp(13kw) gain and people are getting 200hp with simple mods (Look out clio).

BRING US THE ST. WE WANT A XR4
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
ST runs rings around them in creature comforts.
Tell me what creature comforts these might be? For $27-29K it might be good... but isn't get the Clio (especially the new 197 model released in Europe). Sure, it is bigger interior wise - but you mentioned creature comforts.

Quote:
In terms of modding the ST is great. A full exhuast gives a 18hp(13kw) gain and people are getting 200hp with simple mods (Look out clio).
Ahem - what simple mods would increase the car from 150hp to 200hp?

And the Clio still weights less :P

But I still think at $27-28K, the Fiesta would be a hoot! Bring it on!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
Danny
GT4.

I reckon It may have the potential to become a cult car. Vis a Vis GTi Swift. The only thing stopping that would be the price of it.

Even then, once its older, the prices are down and there are 2nd or 3rd hand examples on the market, THEN it would become more of a cult thing with the youngies. I seriously beleive that this will happen now there is no longer a decent Barina to combat something such as the XR4...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
I reckon It may have the potential to become a cult car. Vis a Vis GTi Swift. The only thing stopping that would be the price of it.

Even then, once its older, the prices are down and there are 2nd or 3rd hand examples on the market, THEN it would become more of a cult thing with the youngies. I seriously beleive that this will happen now there is no longer a decent Barina to combat something such as the XR4...
Agreed.

I would ask how the ST compares to the Golf GTi, man the waiting list on those things is like 8 months! People really embraced the GTi because bottom line it's a killer car. If the ST was a couple of grand cheaper (so under 40k) it probably would do quite well.
Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #8
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, Ford Australia... I hope you roam around this forum and read this thread.

Btw, are you THE Marcos Ambrose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaytan

I would ask how the ST compares to the Golf GTi, man the waiting list on those things is like 8 months!
I think Polo GTi would be the competitor of Fiesta ST, not Golf GTi. Or maybe you were referring to Focus ST (aka XR5T).

EDIT : In my opinion, it's only a matter of time before Ford Australia brings in the Fiesta ST.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 06:49 PM   #9
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Holden should give themselves 10 swift upper cuts for going to Diewoo. The new Opel Corsa looks like a real goer. If Holden had that model, it'd probably force Ford to get the ST/XR4.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #10
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordfiestast.com/
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 09:23 PM   #11
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Also guys - I do believe Ford Aust is waiting now for the Mk7 Fiesta ST (I think I read this somewhere)

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 05-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #12
marcosambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Also guys - I do believe Ford Aust is waiting now for the Mk7 Fiesta ST (I think I read this somewhere)
That is the Mk7 fiesta.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #13
marcosambrose

28k? nah Ford Oz can do better than that! $26'490 i reckon! The XR5 is already dirt cheap compared to rivals, Ford needs to sell cars before they charge more.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #14
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Wrong - it is the Mk6 update - commonly called the Mk6.5

Old 05-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #15
marcosambrose

Quote:
Wrong - it is the Mk6 update - commonly called the Mk6.5
my bad, Correction accepted.

Just read over a thread at a forum i reguarly visit (www.fordeurope.net) they say 2008 is release date for Mk7.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:59 PM   #16
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Teki the clio is a great car and I wouldn't mind one but for one listen to your stereo system it's just crap
Old 05-06-2006, 10:54 PM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Teki the clio is a great car and I wouldn't mind one but for one listen to your stereo system it's just crap
Agree with you there...

But are you buying the Hot Hatch based on the stereo? Or way it drives? Not only that... but you must have pumped it to full blast. No stereo works it's best are full blast (well, stock)

Last edited by Teki04; 05-06-2006 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Had to leave the library (oh I know) as it closed at 10pm... spelling mistakes due to rushing
Old 05-06-2006, 10:05 PM   #18
Danny
GT4.

Steve, You are good guy mang, but seriously, I knew you'd bite at that creature comfort comment.

But I reckon too that When you buy an ST, you get a great, and special looking interior (Even better with the Mk6.5 Update dash now), Unlike the 1995 Barina-esque Clio Interior (Which even Jeremy Clarkson ripped to shreds in one particular episode showing one of the earlier Clio's).

The Fiesta ST Interior EASILY equals, or I beleive from looking at pics even betters what I can see of the Clio. I know the Clio is Faster, likeley handles better, and Its a great car with a great rep, but its whole exterior/interior package to me leaves a bit to be desired. It always has.... for me anyways.

I know what one I'd take. But the Performance of the Clio I'd like!!
Old 05-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #19
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be interested in the ST.... But they'd have to price it well to compete with the Polo GTi (ie. under it.) I was reading a review today on the Polo and it even has ESP standard- does the ST?
Old 05-06-2006, 10:56 PM   #20
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Sorry Danny - the interior of the ST looks better. I was refering to creature comforts -like auto headlights, xenon lights, rain sensing wipers, grippy seats, climate control, cruise control, speed limiter etc etc

Last edited by Teki04; 05-06-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:13 AM   #21
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Sorry Danny - the interior of the ST looks better. I was refering to creature comforts -like auto headlights, xenon lights, rain sensing wipers, grippy seats, climate control, cruise control, speed limiter etc etc
Nah nah All good mate. Apart from the fact that ST does come with Auto Headdies, rain sensing wipers, climate control, AWWESOME seats (which look AS good, if not better than the roundish Clio Seats) et al. Speed Limiter? Meh, Falcons have had em since EF's (Non XR) had them in the mid 90's to reduce risk of the tailshaft spinning at dangerous speeds.... I wouldnt call em a creature comfort.

As for the rest of what you're saying Steven, I totally agree with ya. Its about time Cruise control was on an ST Fez or Focus variant, spesh-ly for the premium you pay for them. Same goes for Xenon Headlights. WHY won't Ford bring them out on any model!!!???
Old 06-06-2006, 12:28 AM   #22
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Apart from the fact that ST does come with Auto Headdies, rain sensing wipers, climate control, AWWESOME seats (which look AS good, if not better than the roundish Clio Seats) et al. Speed Limiter? Meh, Falcons have had em since EF's (Non XR) had them in the mid 90's to reduce risk of the tailshaft spinning at dangerous speeds.... I wouldnt call em a creature comfort.
You sure it has all those features? www.ford.co.uk isn't working at the moment.... but from other sites I've checked like http://www.fordfiestast.com/spec.asp it doesn't seem to be there.

As for speed limiter - works off the Cruise Control. Set it too the speed you want and you need to press the accelerator to the floor to go quicker, as it kills power.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:22 PM   #23
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Ford Australia may extend its XR moniker beyond next year's hot Focus to the Fiesta

By NEIL McDONALD 21 November 2005

FORD Australia is considering adding an XR performance derivative of the Fiesta following the enthusiastic response to the turbocharged Focus XR5 at the Australian International Motor Show last month.

"We will see how it (the XR5) goes," Ford Australia president Tom Gorman told GoAuto. "Any sports variant must make economic sense for us."

The XR5 goes on sale around May next year and will be a small-volume "halo" car for the Focus model range.

Mr Gorman said that while no firm decision had been made on extending the XR moniker to other small cars, he was well aware of the success Volkswagen was having with its Golf GTI – and of its decision to bring in the Polo GTI.

Ford of Europe builds a Fiesta ST (Sports Technologies), which has a 110kW/190Nm 2.0-litre Duratec four-cylinder engine that enables the small hatchback to reach 100km/h in 8.0 seconds, on its way to a top speed of more than 220km/h.

It also has lowered suspension, 17-inch wheels and various exterior adornments.

Apart from the hot Fiesta, Mr Gorman said Ford Australia was also looking at other options with its Focus, including a wagon model and turbo-diesel versions.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:21 AM   #24
Danny
GT4.

LOL Ford UK must be working. That's where I got the info From. In the Mk6.5 options and Specs section.

I don't speak until I know I'm right, I know it's easy to be rolled when arguing about these cars with someone so switched on as myself (IE: You. Haha).

I also don't get your comment about the speed limiter....
Old 06-06-2006, 01:42 AM   #25
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Sorry.

Speed Limiter - set it to say 100km/h. When you get there, the power is killed. The only way to go quicker is to hit the accelerator alllllllll the way too the floor (which is a long way!). And no, you can't just keep the accelerator pushed all the way from take off... it will still kill your power till you back off and gun it again. Safety feature... apparently.

Wipers - Automatic rain-sensing, with automatic headlamps OPTIONAL on the ST as far as I can see. Same with ESP - optional.

Air conditioning - CFC-free with Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) - OPTIONAL.

So, Danny... seems those things the RSC comes with are optional on the ST

Old 06-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #26
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
So, Danny... seems those things the RSC comes with are optional on the ST
Hahaha I knew you'd pick that...

Option Schmoption though Steve,

The thing is that the ST Does have provision for these "creature comforts" They're there for the taking. It's not like they havent been thought of, or the car isn't advanced enough to have them. Although I do reckon a couple of them should come Std. with ST.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:10 PM   #27
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Hahaha I knew you'd pick that...

Option Schmoption though Steve,

The thing is that the ST Does have provision for these "creature comforts" They're there for the taking. It's not like they havent been thought of, or the car isn't advanced enough to have them. Although I do reckon a couple of them should come Std. with ST.
Yea - I'd like to see how much the options bring the car up to a total of $$.

I remember looking at the Polo GTI. I wanted leather (full cloth was crap), and sunroof. That brought it to $33,500 drive away (I met a girl last week who bought one for $33,000 drive away). However, for that price, there are other cars which perform better, with more options also. Plus, I didn't want people pulling up and going omg that's like $26,990... when you need to explain it was $33000 on the road

and Pieoter - the Speed Limiter is switchable. I never have mine on. Climate Control is apparently a big thing in Australia - so say most XR5T owners demanding it :

Oh, and the auto headlights look cool at night. Turn on the car and the xenons come on immediately. Safety feature too.

As for the wipers... best invention EVER. Turn them on... and you never need to worry about it! It stops working as hard when you stop at the lights, it works harder when it rains more.... does intermittent as it seems fit (so 5 seconds... then maybe 8... then the rain gets heavier so 4 seconds later it cleans it) etc etc. I love the Auto Wipers features... especially in the past two days! Talk about down pour of rain!

But hey - that Said... I would have considered the ST and maybe I would be in one. Of course, I'd have to drive it... as it doesn't stand as a class leader like it's bigger brother XR5T does.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:27 PM   #28
photn
AFF Post NAZI

id like to see how much the ST would cost fully optioned. and also see how much with the bare essential extras, just a couple of extras that make the car awesum, i wish it was here already lolz, but it cannot go past the 40g mark with all the extras. as the xr5t only goes to that roughly without getting all the granny crap like headlamp gurds and so on. im hoping that it goes to about 35g with ALL the options on it. absoultely every thing, and i wouldnt mind paying for it either, as id have the car for at LEAST 10 years. so. see then youd have to get the exhaust done, pod filter and extractors, plus flash the ECU, to get more HP out of it, then your laughing. ud have a cool ride and it would be really really zippy

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #29
marcosambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
id like to see how much the ST would cost fully optioned. and also see how much with the bare essential extras, just a couple of extras that make the car awesum, i wish it was here already lolz, but it cannot go past the 40g mark with all the extras. as the xr5t only goes to that roughly without getting all the granny crap like headlamp gurds and so on. im hoping that it goes to about 35g with ALL the options on it. absoultely every thing, and i wouldnt mind paying for it either, as id have the car for at LEAST 10 years. so. see then youd have to get the exhaust done, pod filter and extractors, plus flash the ECU, to get more HP out of it, then your laughing. ud have a cool ride and it would be really really zippy
Well considering the Polo GTi sells for 26'990 plus on roads is a pretty firm fact that the Fiesta will be just about on or just below this price. of course then you include sunroof, 6cd stereo premium stereo, recaros....probably in the low to mid 30s your looking at.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:40 AM   #30
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The speedlimiter would me off but more and more cars these days are getting speed limited. Climate control is a great feature that the RSC has but is only optional on the ST but do you buy at hot hatch for climate control?

Personally I don't see any advantage of auto wipers or headlights if your too lazy to do it yourself what are you doing driving.