Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 31-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Fpv

Good evening

There is currently a substantial amount of speculation around the Internet about FPV and the fate of some personnel there.

Some of this speculation has bordered on the wild so here is the position as we currently understand it.

1. The two most senior individuals and a number of other staff within the organisation have been provided with notice of termination.

2. There is a pending announcement about the current situation and the impact it will have.

3. There have (and this is unconfirmed) been discussions around the ownership of FPV and the premises from which they operate.

As we do not particularly wish encourage endless speculation, this thread will remain closed until such time as there is more clarity on the matter.

Regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 01-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 
Default Re: Fpv

For those that may not have already noticed - thread stickied...
Old 01-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Whilst there is no official announcement on the usual formal media release channels at FPV/Ford - here are a couple of reports..
Article in todays Fairfax online edition....
Quote:
General manager and numerous administrative staff shown the door in major restructure.

Ford Performance Vehicles is in crisis after sacking general manager Rod Barrett and up to 15 other members of its Campbellfield workforce, throwing into doubt the future of Ford’s tuner of performance cars.

It’s the second time in six years the company has sacked top-level management. Former boss Sak Ryopponen and five senior managers - including this reporter, who was communications manager - were shown the door in 2006.

Prodrive managing director Bryan Mears will take over Mr Barrett’s role, while other back office functions will be “absorbed internally”.

“This has been a very difficult business decision, and one we’ve taken with great regret,” Mears says.

“Unfortunately, today’s business realities are that we have to manage our business appropriately and that includes making the FPV business the right size for the market and taking advantage of better synergies with Ford and Prodrive.

“The good news is that FPV is set for stronger sales this year than last, and we have some very exciting new product to talk about later in the year.”

Mears paid tribute to the job done by Barrett in five years at the head of FPV.

“Rod leaves with our gratitude for a job well done and our best wishes for the future, and we will be supporting him in every way we can … as we will everyone affected by this decision,” he says.

FPV’s restructure is not expected to affect the operations of Ford Performance Racing, which is also owned by Prodrive. Its driver Will Davison currently leads the V8 Supercars championship.

The turmoil at FPV reflects an uncertain future for Ford’s beleaguered Falcon model, which forms the basis for FPV’s model range. It’s believed the locally produced large car will not be built in its current form beyond the current generation, when the Australian operation is likely to have to fall into step with the US company’s global large car program.

There is also doubt about the future of the Falcon’s turbocharged inline six-cylinder engine, which FPV uses for several models in its line-up.

Last month, former industry minister Kim Carr said he expected the six cylinder to continue until at least 2016, but demand is likely to fall dramatically with the recent introduction of a turbocharged four-cylinder version of the Falcon.

The four-cylinder is expected to be the engine of choice for fleet customers, which make up 80 per cent of Falcon buyers. The six-cylinder is also used in Ford’s locally-made Territory SUV, although the introduction of a diesel alternative for that vehicle has dented demand for the petrol unit.

Article on motoring.com.au
Quote:
Business restructure’ for Ford Performance Vehicles as general manager Rod Barrett departs and FGII range nears

Ford Performance Vehicles (FPV) has announced the surprise departure of its general manager, Rod Barrett, as part of a comprehensive business restructure that aims to ‘right-size’ the Blue Oval’s Australian performance division.

The sudden exit of Mr Barrett (pictured), whose general management role will be “absorbed into those of parent company Prodrive’s Managing Director Bryan Mears”, was announced in an FPV media release this morning.

FPV said “a small number of support staff” have also been dismissed and that a number of back-office functions were also being “reallocated internally”. Motoring.com.au understands at least one other senior FPV executive has also received a termination notice.

“This has been a very difficult business decision, and one we’ve taken with great regret,” said Mr Mears, who is now the managing director of both Prodrive and FPV.

“Unfortunately, today’s business realities are that we have to manage our business appropriately and that includes making the FPV business the right size for the market and taking advantage of better synergies with Ford and Prodrive.”

Mr Mears praised Mr Barrett for his achievements at FPV over almost five years, including the introduction of the Cobra special-edition, the launch of the FG Falcon-based range and, most recently, the introduction of the supercharged Boss V8 models.

“Rod leaves with our gratitude for a job well done and our best wishes for the future, and we will be supporting him in every way we can… as we will everyone affected by this decision,” said Mr Mears, who added that “some very exciting new product” would help increase FPV sales over 2011 levels when it is released later this year.

“The good news is that FPV is set for stronger sales this year than last, and we have some very exciting new product to talk about later in the year,” said Mr Mears.

Earlier this week Mr Barrett confirmed to motoring.com.au that at least one new FPV model – powered by “a version” of its localised ‘Miami’ blown V8 - would be released soon, following a tip-off that a new FPV model reported to go on sale in late August had been seen testing at Calder Park raceway in recent weeks.

“FPV is currently working on new product due for release sometime within the next 12 months,” said Mr Barrett. “A version of the supercharged Miami engine sits at its heart and whilst we are excited by the opportunities we cannot say any more at this moment.”

FPV’s media agency went further, confirming a number of new FPV models would be revealed soon.

“We do have new FPV products coming shortly, we don't actually have a confirmed date,” FPV Media Manager Vicky DeGeorge told motoring.com.au last week. “We're still in the process of sorting things out.”

Mr Barrett never concealed his enthusiasm to create a spiritual successor for Ford’s legendary Falcon GTHO, and previously said last year’s 40th anniversary of Allan Moffat’s famous 1971 Bathurst win in the GTHO would have been an ideal place to launch such a flagship for FPV.

However, Ford Australia President Bob Graziano subsequently poured cold water on the prospects of a born-again GTHO, which he said would need to offer significantly more performance than FPV’s existing V8 models to do justice to the hallowed nameplate.

FPV’s most recent new model was the limited-edition GT Black, which appeared in concept guise at the Australian International Motor Show in Melbourne last July, before going on sale a month later.

The GT Black featured a number of cosmetic enhancements, but failed to come with the concept’s track-tuned suspension, performance brake package, wider 19-inch alloy wheels or the aggressive new front bumper design that was expected to preview the styling of FPV’s facelifted FGII model range.

Mr Mears would not comment on unsubstantiated rumours about the ownership of FPV (in which Ford Australia has a 49 per cent stake, with Prodrive owning the majority share), or the Campbellfield premises in which it is based, when contacted by motoring.com.au today.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
Rodge
Banned

I'm taking a very positive view of this restructuring.
Right-sizing the business' personnel and overheads makes profound common-sense as we continue to endure the ongoing effects of the global financial crisis and continuing high fuel prices which must have some effect on sales of high performance cars. Importantly right-sizing costs serious money, in the form of immediate cash as redundencies arn't cheap so either Prodrive, Ford or more likely a combination have taken the hard decision to stump up with the necessary funds to put FPV on a sustainable course for the future.

If the joint venture partners didn't both believe there was a viable business model going forward, you'd have seen an ownership change or the parties letting it fold.

FPV make incredibly good cars, really there's nothing quite like them under $100,000. I'd encourage people to support the brand, if you've enjoyed an FPV or other high performance Ford over the years perhaps this is the right time to step up to the plate and give them a vote of confidence in a manner that counts, with your cheque-book... No matter which of the current FPV models you chose, you're in for an incrediblly good drive.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
MOTIV8
Just cruizin' around.....

Is this a free for all to discuss yet or are we still under some sort of 'embargo' as nothing 'official' has been announced to AFF yet?
Old 01-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Can we try and keep this thread about the topic at hand. I know there is some passionate people that love these cars. Lets hope something is released soon.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance

2022 Hyundai Tucson Highlander N Line Diesel AWD
Old 01-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Warranty is pointless.
I don't agree. Time to take your business to another dealer where its valued.
There are definitly good dealer's out there that look after their customers.
Sure we have probably all had experiences where our read on the situation and Ford's warranty division see things from different points of view and i've had a couple of those myself over the years but to claim a warranty is "pointless" is not only a seriously harsh call but grossly misrepresents the situation in my opinion.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

It took 6 posts.

Sounds bad on the outside. How in-shop will FPV become if they move across the road? Is this Ford taking ownership perhaps? I wonder if Prodrive is about to be ousted and Ford are about to take performance back in-house a-la SVT. Ford want Ford badges on the imported Fords, FPV only want FPV badges - hence why FPV didn't want the RS, when in reality, it was a perfect fit for them. Has that stalemate come to a head?

Lukeyson

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 01-06-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #9
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Ford want Ford badges on the imported Fords, FPV only want FPV badges - hence why FPV didn't want the RS, when in reality, it was a perfect fit for them. Has that stalemate come to a head?
Something I'd never considered, and yet it makes perfect sense. What does the future hold for FPV then? In the short-term, we'll still have V8 falcons, but what then? Falcon's hardly a sure thing in the medium term, and FPV's only option will be imports....
Old 01-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Perhaps prodrive have got big plans for what FPV stands for?

I see it as positive, what ever happens...be it Ford having more controll, or Prodrive planing bigger things.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 01-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Hmm going to be interesting to see what happens when the dust settles. Im still not sold on whether Prodrive have been a benefit to FPV or not. The products they have are very very good, they have hit their straps on the race track (FPR) and have pretty good % increase on sales so whats the go?

Mind you I dont think my opinion of them has not changed since...

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....light=prodrive
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
BeansNoMore

A few days ago, there was a thread either in The Pub or FPV 5.0 S/C section discussing future FPV product and 2 Falcon FPV products in particular. The thread though appears to have now disappeared. Is this disappearance related to the recent FPV events and the temporary and appropriate inability to discuss same until now, or is it still there and I'm just not seeing it now?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #13
olds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansNoMore
A few days ago, there was a thread either in The Pub or FPV 5.0 S/C section discussing future FPV product and 2 Falcon FPV products in particular. The thread though appears to have now disappeared. Is this disappearance related to the recent FPV events and the temporary and appropriate inability to discuss same until now, or is it still there and I'm just not seeing it now?
It was in the pub section looked for it myself to add today's age article to it but couldn't find the post ?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see the fuss. Businesses restructure their operations all the time to better align themselves with prevailing market conditions, or reduce costs to make them more competitive. Lean and profitable is where it's at and it's probably better the parent took action now rather than wait until its too late and they have to shut up shop indefinitely. The owners wouldn't have taken this action unless it was deemed necessary for their survival. The FPV CEO role is probably one that the parent can see as able to be managed by the parent CEO and save the organisation a few hundred grand a year in the process. Not as if the survival of FPV is fundamental to the robustness of the Australian economy either. In fact, I don't even recall seeing it mentioned in this morning's Financial Review.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,

Last edited by GT0132; 01-06-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #15
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm excit about FPV FGII. I'm hoping for a much much, better looking front bumper & far more aggressive bumper too..
Old 02-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I'm excit about FPV FGII. I'm hoping for a much much, better looking front bumper & far more aggressive bumper too..
Don't we already have FGII?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #17
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Don't we already have FGII?
This is wha I cant quite understand but FPV have been quoted as referring to FGII as if it is still to come??

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 02-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #18
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I know we are only allowed to say here everything is sweet and smelling like roses etc.. But how many times do we see companies do this with all their positive outlooks from restructures in their PR guff, when in reality it is a wind down in the offing. If it is, I might buy that new GT-P after all!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #19
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I know we are only allowed to say here everything is sweet and smelling like roses etc.. But how many times do we see companies do this with all their positive outlooks from restructures in their PR guff, when in reality it is a wind down in the offing. If it is, I might buy that new GT-P after all!
as is the case with any media statement by corporates

At the end of the day I dont mind if the GT wears a blue oval, fpv, or other badge the main thing is that there is still a car to hang it on
Old 02-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #20
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Its not about being 'allowed' to say anything negative ..... its when the threads start only to spread rumors of things that were not happening. Once the story was out then its no probs to discuss the positives and the negatives but threads with titles of "FPV Closing .... " don't help with a discussion until some facts were known

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #21
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thread went off topic and drifted into speculation before any announcement was made so was pulled

I think the general consensus amongst those who seem to be in the know was a limited run of 185 or so units with mild mods, perhaps a bit like the GT Black concept car. I think it was Yift who linked to a post about it.

Start another thread perhaps, it shouldn't get derailed by talk of the structure/management of FPV now (with several threads running on that topic)

Last edited by Shonky.; 01-06-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #22
BeansNoMore

Thank you gentleman. I didn't want to ask before now in case the release of this pending new FPV model information was the cause of the staff losses at FPV but now that doesn't seem to be the case and that there are bigger issues occurring at FPV.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #23
Rodge
Banned

^^ Falcon's future is being assisted by the Territory. Don't see the point of long term speculation, in fact its counter productive in my opinion. The hard decisions have been taken to put FPV on track as a sustainable business for the forseeable future. Worry about what might happen in 2017, in 2016, I reckon....and GO FPR, are they doing well or what !!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #24
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Didn't FPV go through a restructure recently? Did anything good come of that?

Perhaps Miami. Has failure to back-sell Miami into Ford played a part in this?

Can it really be that successive groups of people are both to blame for similar issues? Or is there something wrong with the management style of this Mears bloke?

Could this spell the end of all of the initiatives of the recently departed team? Like the supposed upcoming aftermarket-products direction FPV were allegedly heading in - at least that's what it sounded like when the initial Black Edition was released?

Lukeyson
Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #25
stalker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

worst comes to it there will be someone that steps up and makes a performance model even if it is just through ford. the world didnt end when tickford stopped. even if the GT name doesnt continue they will find something to fill the void.
XF ute 4.0ltr injected out of an ed with girl cam and 5speed, and an xd front end for good measure
Old 02-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #26
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Its sad when someone passionate about the industry loses their job, but in this case it was needed to rejuvenate FPV. Hopefully the Ford badge will return to the GT, and we'll see an XR8 soon. Ford needs to take control of its product.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #27
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I bought my GT-P back in 2003 I was quite happy it had a FORD badge; I don't know why they didn't call it a Ford "Falcon" GT-P at the time.

The sooner Ford come out and make an announcement the better; I hope the work of Rod Barrett & co is not lost. I hope "performance" Fords remain available.

It's very unsettling when this type of thing happens, mainly because of the suddenness and the apparent stop-gap measures which have been put in place; it's like crisis management with no transition process.

At the end of the day it might be necessary, but it could be handled better so as not to destroy confidence in the brand.

Still, I'm an optimist and hope there is a silver lining to this.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #28
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534
When I bought my GT-P back in 2003 I was quite happy it had a FORD badge; I don't know why they didn't call it a Ford "Falcon" GT-P at the time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Design
... Hopefully the Ford badge will return to the GT, and we'll see an XR8 soon. Ford needs to take control of its product.
I agree regarding preference of a Ford badge over an FPV badge. Furthermore, if the GT-HO ever does make a return, I think it should be badged as Ford.

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

DAILY: 2015 PXII Ranger Wildtrak, Pride Orange, 6sp auto, tech pack (pics here)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
Old 02-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #29
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsman
I agree regarding preference of a Ford badge over an FPV badge. Furthermore, if the GT-HO ever does make a return, I think it should be badged as Ford.
Interesting as one of the key points I remember being raised when FG FPV came out from the covers was that people were very happy to see those cars branded as an FPV. Is that now not the case?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #30
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Design
Its sad when someone passionate about the industry loses their job, but in this case it was needed to rejuvenate FPV. Hopefully the Ford badge will return to the GT, and we'll see an XR8 soon. Ford needs to take control of its product.
Rejuvenate FPV ?
If a 335 RWKW supercharged V8 can't "rejuvenate" them - then they may as well wrap it up and they can all go home.

Letting FORD take over completely is not the answer at all.....they are in enough strife already , the last thing they have the energy and foresight for is performance cars.....

With competition in a niche market as small as Australia and with heavy investment in local R&D - something had to give. FPV have given us the car we always wanted......the keyboard critics are still driving around in E series falcons and FPV are scratching their heads wondering what they may have done wrong.

I like the fact that my car has been tinkered with by the local skunkworks and not on the standard broadly line. In fact I removed the FORD badges and replaced them on my b series with FPV badges.

It will be a very sad day if FPV fold completely and we go back to S pack specials
The best Fords in the last 20 years have come from Tickford and FPV..... Ford have only been sperm donors.

I just hope that FPV are around for long enough to have a go at another major performance car with 3 letters GTH before it becomes the imminent 3 letters RIP.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Closed Thread