Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
xr8ted

Default Toyota Aurion - My Thoughts

Hi all.

I have recently gotten a promotion at work which now means that I have a company car. That company car is a brand new Toyota Aurion ATX. I have now over 2000km on the clock, so I thought that I would put my own little review on here for those who are interested. My previous daily driver was a BA XR8, with minimal mods. Its now my weekender.

Anyway, the first thing that surprised me with the Aurion was the engine and transmission. It really is a good setup. 200kw, 336nm. The engine is smooth, and from 3000rpm to 6500rpm, it really hums along. It lacks a little bit of low down torque, however, the 6 speed transmission does its best to hide this. This transmission is good. It seems to be aware of which gear your asking for, and it doesnt go hunting like other autos I have driven. The sports shift is annoying as it does not hold gears like its supposed to, and changes up automatically. I still prefer a proper manual. I lined up a VE V special the other day, and the aurion easily left him behind. He was surprised that the aurion went so well. The torque steer is normally cancelled out by the traction control before it gets too bad.

In terms of chasis setup, given that is a large front wheel driver, it understeers, and the ESP comes on too early. It cannot be turned off. Neither can the traction control. There is a fair bit of body roll, and the suspension feels soft when your having a go, but when your not, the ride finds bumps that I would not normally feel in the BA XR8. I dont know how they have achieved this, but somehow, toyota has. How can a car be soft and ride badly? Any late modle falcon or commodore is better dynamically. The brakes feel firm, but I have not really tested them properly yet.

In terms of equipment, for a base car, its loaded. Fit and finish is very good.

In summary, I feel that this is case of a good engine and transmission, being trapped in a poor chasis. For anyone who enjoys driving, this is not the car for you. However, for people who dont, and are more concerned with price, level of equipment, and build quality, I can see why non enthusists buy Toyotas. Its just not for me!

Old 15-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

About dead on the money. A brilliant motor and transmission let down by a very lacklustre chassis. Same thing i noticed when I drove an 07 ATX. Fit and finish was definately a step up over the B series Falcons too.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Old 15-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good write up, Toyota's are like fridge's they only do what they are meant to do and do it bloody well. If you want ice machine and cold water dispenser with that fridge go buy something else.
Old 15-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
SKITZD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Good write up, Toyota's are like fridge's they only do what they are meant to do and do it bloody well. If you want ice machine and cold water dispenser with that fridge go buy something else.

Old 15-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got an 09 AT-X and completely agree with your write up.

I have two main problems with the car;
1) traction on full throttle low speed launches - anywhere between a standing start and 40km, nailing the throttle will induce wheel spin
2) turn in is anything but sharp at low to low-ish speeds (my BA XR6T feels uber sharp in comparison)

Other than that it's a brilliant car for what it is and would happily buy one for the missus (I couldn't own one as a daily - not when Ford are making XR Falcons).

Had a side-by-side race with a BA 4.0 manual ute on a private road to 80km/h.
The aurion was in front by a car length at 80.
Old 15-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ted
Hi all.

I have recently gotten a promotion at work which now means that I have a company car. That company car is a brand new Toyota Aurion ATX. I have now over 2000km on the clock, so I thought that I would put my own little review on here for those who are interested. My previous daily driver was a BA XR8, with minimal mods. Its now my weekender.

Anyway, the first thing that surprised me with the Aurion was the engine and transmission. It really is a good setup. 200kw, 336nm. The engine is smooth, and from 3000rpm to 6500rpm, it really hums along. It lacks a little bit of low down torque, however, the 6 speed transmission does its best to hide this. This transmission is good. It seems to be aware of which gear your asking for, and it doesnt go hunting like other autos I have driven. The sports shift is annoying as it does not hold gears like its supposed to, and changes up automatically. I still prefer a proper manual. I lined up a VE V special the other day, and the aurion easily left him behind. He was surprised that the aurion went so well. The torque steer is normally cancelled out by the traction control before it gets too bad.

In terms of chasis setup, given that is a large front wheel driver, it understeers, and the ESP comes on too early. It cannot be turned off. Neither can the traction control. There is a fair bit of body roll, and the suspension feels soft when your having a go, but when your not, the ride finds bumps that I would not normally feel in the BA XR8. I dont know how they have achieved this, but somehow, toyota has. How can a car be soft and ride badly? Any late modle falcon or commodore is better dynamically. The brakes feel firm, but I have not really tested them properly yet.

In terms of equipment, for a base car, its loaded. Fit and finish is very good.

In summary, I feel that this is case of a good engine and transmission, being trapped in a poor chasis. For anyone who enjoys driving, this is not the car for you. However, for people who dont, and are more concerned with price, level of equipment, and build quality, I can see why non enthusists buy Toyotas. Its just not for me!
Interesting, many of the police here like the Aurion over the commodore and falcon as they find them easier to drive under emergency conditions. Many of the guys I have talked to say they pick up better than the commodore and handle better than the falcon. I wonder if this is because they get the sportivo.
Old 15-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Interesting, many of the police here like the Aurion over the commodore and falcon as they find them easier to drive under emergency conditions. Many of the guys I have talked to say they pick up better than the commodore and handle better than the falcon. I wonder if this is because they get the sportivo.
I see alot of aurions getting around as police cars but only local area squad cars....never highway patrol. I'd say there is a reason for that (although there may have been Aurion TRDs used as highway??). I noticed an aurion police car a couple of weeks back and it did not have any upgraded brakes....was that for NSW/Vic only? Qld cars use the stock brakes so it seems and i have been told this is the major let down. Of course the Falcon/COmmodore brakes suffer too (hence the fitting of brembos for southern states police cars) but given QLD keeps the car stock/ish if you had to pick you wouldn't go with the aurion brakes purely because while it is lighter (and hence stops quite well) they just aren't up to repeated abuse.

The local cop shop has one aurion (used by the most junior constables) and to be honest they spend most of their time revving the tits off it (you can hear it from my house). It is quick but to suggest it handles better than a Falcon...very suspect. Maybe for tight surburban work (it weighs less and has lighter steering) but it seems to me (and i dont' mean any disrespect) that police may have this view since with a nanny ESP setup, understeer versus oversteer and the way the power comes on they feel it is 'easier' to drive. They 'feel' safer. The pickup over the Commodore is hardly surprising, even the 3.6 HO engine in the SV6 is up to a second slower to 100km/h then the base aurion.....

Having driven an aurion versus a current FG I wouldn't put it in the same league handling wise (or even up to any quality FWD car niether). They do have a powerful donk (albeit i disagree with all the 3500rpm+ needed to get going) and the auto while it changes ALOT to save gas (and deal with the torque hole) it is very smooth and pretty quick on the money. The interior is well put together (mostly) but the plastics are far from inspiring nor is the ergonomics. Lots of kit in the top spec models though....at a price.

End of the day the OP got it right....no matter what Toyota does locally to the car, its still a camry underneath. The suspension is still outdated in design and tuning (while better on sportivo) is well off base (hence the jiggly ride yet lack of control at the same time). The 'toyota culture' of intrusive ESP, lack of adequate tyres, tacked on bodykits etc. dominate over a very nice engine and ok spec list......I wouldn't really recomend the car to anyone beause with so many competent medium cars and well price large car competitors i don't see the point. A G6 Limited Edition would walk all over an aurion....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 15-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
I see alot of aurions getting around as police cars but only local area squad cars....never highway patrol. I'd say there is a reason for that (although there may have been Aurion TRDs used as highway??). I noticed an aurion police car a couple of weeks back and it did not have any upgraded brakes....was that for NSW/Vic only? Qld cars use the stock brakes so it seems and i have been told this is the major let down. Of course the Falcon/COmmodore brakes suffer too (hence the fitting of brembos for southern states police cars) but given QLD keeps the car stock/ish if you had to pick you wouldn't go with the aurion brakes purely because while it is lighter (and hence stops quite well) they just aren't up to repeated abuse.

The local cop shop has one aurion (used by the most junior constables) and to be honest they spend most of their time revving the tits off it (you can hear it from my house). It is quick but to suggest it handles better than a Falcon...very suspect. Maybe for tight surburban work (it weighs less and has lighter steering) but it seems to me (and i dont' mean any disrespect) that police may have this view since with a nanny ESP setup, understeer versus oversteer and the way the power comes on they feel it is 'easier' to drive. They 'feel' safer. The pickup over the Commodore is hardly surprising, even the 3.6 HO engine in the SV6 is up to a second slower to 100km/h then the base aurion.....

Having driven an aurion versus a current FG I wouldn't put it in the same league handling wise (or even up to any quality FWD car niether). They do have a powerful donk (albeit i disagree with all the 3500rpm+ needed to get going) and the auto while it changes ALOT to save gas (and deal with the torque hole) it is very smooth and pretty quick on the money. The interior is well put together (mostly) but the plastics are far from inspiring nor is the ergonomics. Lots of kit in the top spec models though....at a price.

End of the day the OP got it right....no matter what Toyota does locally to the car, its still a camry underneath. The suspension is still outdated in design and tuning (while better on sportivo) is well off base (hence the jiggly ride yet lack of control at the same time). The 'toyota culture' of intrusive ESP, lack of adequate tyres, tacked on bodykits etc. dominate over a very nice engine and ok spec list......I wouldn't really recomend the car to anyone beause with so many competent medium cars and well price large car competitors i don't see the point. A G6 Limited Edition would walk all over an aurion....
A lot of the remarks I made actually came from the police driver trainers, the aurion out does the commodore and falcon on their course. I wonder if this is down to tyres, do the cop aurions have up specced tyres like the commodores and falcons do? One for the cops when I am out there next.
Old 15-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
A lot of the remarks I made actually came from the police driver trainers, the aurion out does the commodore and falcon on their course. I wonder if this is down to tyres, do the cop aurions have up specced tyres like the commodores and falcons do? One for the cops when I am out there next.
hmmm....wery inter....esting....

I just can't see that as being very likely. I know that subjective assessment when driving around on test drives is never a guranteed thing but that is very wierd. i suppose it depends on the exact spec of the cars and the nature of th course. The aurion has always been fast in a straight line but every test i've ever seen it has not gone well in the twisties (wheels mag did a test where a 380,bf xr6, ve sv6, auron zr6 whent on a track and the aurion came dead last from memory....certainly behind the two RWD cars...)

I don't know how relevant such a test woudl be anyway to the average punter....i know what 'feels' better but i dont' think teh buyers of these cars take them to lakeside on a regular basis.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 15-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
T3man
Banned

Yep, very willing engine and they have a good power/weight ratio coupled with good transmission ratios. In a straight line they are OK but still an unrewarding experience for the driver. Come to a corner and they are woeful. Your write-up is spot on.
Old 15-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally found the interior to be a bit budget, and also as you also said the chassis is woeful at best.
Old 15-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

agree 100%, had a Presara and a ZR6 as company cars before I left Toyota, Sportivo's aren’t too bad but let down by poor tyre choice, Aurion's in particular are very under tyred, a mate has a TRD s/c with aftermarket wheels coupled with 245 semi slicks and its one of the best handling FWD vehicles ive ever steered so perhaps Toyota in their wisdom of achieving great fuel consumption with skinny low rolling resistance tyres has a fair bit to play in the understeering feel of the stockers?

such a shame Lexus don’t release the IS350 over here, same engine with DI and mid 13's out of the box, RWD ;) and a stiff chassis.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 15-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are Aurion traffic branch cars up here although they are unmarked.
Old 15-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #14
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There are Aurion traffic branch cars up here although they are unmarked.
personal experience? :

Old 15-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
personal experience? :

Probably knowing Flappist, he thinks we already have the 130 limit :
Old 15-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #16
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Probably knowing Flappist, he thinks we already have the 130 limit :
we dont have it yet? :dr_Evil:

Old 15-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the main features that makes the Aurion more favoured is the ability to get in and out wearing full kit without getting caught on the B pillar etc.
Speed and accelleration are irrelevent as nothing outruns a motorola......

And gecko, you are already aware how I know these things.......
Old 15-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #18
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

I think one of the key points stated previously by another person is that they are held back by the tyres, we all know that cops hardly ever use original spec tyres. We have police spec vehicles (commodores) at work and they do not have OEM tyres. Maybe that is where the difference is. All I know is the comments I have heard is they do not mind them and I heard a rumour the unofficial record for the course (unofficial because they don't officially keep times) is held by a Aurion.

I know when we test drove a Aurion Sportivo I noticed no real problems with the handling even when I did give it a bit of a test through corners. Having said this I have not driven a FG so I can not give a comparison there but I have driven many VE's and I would say the Aurion was more predictable in its behaviour once you remember it is FWD and drive it as such.
Old 15-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #19
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
I think one of the key points stated previously by another person is that they are held back by the tyres, we all know that cops hardly ever use original spec tyres. We have police spec vehicles (commodores) at work and they do not have OEM tyres. Maybe that is where the difference is. All I know is the comments I have heard is they do not mind them and I heard a rumour the unofficial record for the course (unofficial because they don't officially keep times) is held by a Aurion.

I know when we test drove a Aurion Sportivo I noticed no real problems with the handling even when I did give it a bit of a test through corners. Having said this I have not driven a FG so I can not give a comparison there but I have driven many VE's and I would say the Aurion was more predictable in its behaviour once you remember it is FWD and drive it as such.
Yes tyres are obviusly a big factor....as anyone that has modded cars knows. I drove a mondeo at launch with bridgestone RE050 tyres, then another a few months later witih goodyears and certainly the bridgestone shod car worked better. I also agree that you need to drive it a fair bit differntly to the RWD commodore/falcon.

As i said i think it is teh 'feel' more than raw speed (hence with better power/weight and good tyres it may very well be quite quick on the right course). If you tootle around on a test drive it appears quite ok (apart from jiggly ride) but as soon as you get a bit ahem, excited it doesnt' really come to the party. Initial quick turn in leads to alot of mid corner understeer, ESP gets involved very quickly and steering feel is not great. Torque steer can be worked around but it is a bit of a pain. Compare it to for example the mitsu 380 i test drove and it was alot nicer to drive quickly, great steering feel (maybe too good with some kickback), much less torque steer, much better mid corner. Also more grunt down low means it was less 'busy' when pushing on.

I doubt cops worry too much about things like this when the are fanging the cars around....hence flappist's commment about egress.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 15-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #20
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
If you tootle around on a test drive it appears quite ok (apart from jiggly ride) but as soon as you get a bit ahem, excited it doesnt' really come to the party.

There there in part is the issue with automotive enthusiasts on a discussion forum.

Of the total combined sales of all Australian built vehicles, the percentage of those purchasing the car with the intention of getting it 'a bit ahem, excited' is a very small one at that.

Therefore, the majority buy the car for what it offers in terms of comfort and every day drivability, so in most of the statements here, the Aurion is a good car.

My opinion for it's sales downfall, is that too many Australian purchasers are forever connected to RWD and it has been suggested to Toyota many a time that the Aurion results could potentially be double what they are had they not have had the arrogant opinion of "If we say FWD is the future, the customers will buy them" when really, had they have offered engineered RWD Aurion, it would have appealed to the Toyota faithful and been able to draw in those people who would not normally buy Toyota which is a win/win.
Old 15-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #21
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
There there in part is the issue with automotive enthusiasts on a discussion forum.

Of the total combined sales of all Australian built vehicles, the percentage of those purchasing the car with the intention of getting it 'a bit ahem, excited' is a very small one at that.

Therefore, the majority buy the car for what it offers in terms of comfort and every day drivability, so in most of the statements here, the Aurion is a good car.

My opinion for it's sales downfall, is that too many Australian purchasers are forever connected to RWD and it has been suggested to Toyota many a time that the Aurion results could potentially be double what they are had they not have had the arrogant opinion of "If we say FWD is the future, the customers will buy them" when really, had they have offered engineered RWD Aurion, it would have appealed to the Toyota faithful and been able to draw in those people who would not normally buy Toyota which is a win/win.
Well the enthusiast is in danger of being shut out purely because the average punter doesn't know what understeer etc. is. In saying that, i would make two points:

1. Just because the falcon may be superior in driving feel etc, does not mean you need to be M shumacer to tell the difference. I think any driver once you explained the basics would be able to work out that a certain car is a better 'handler' then another. I'm not saying they would care all that much but given the choice between an aurion as it is now and one that handled properly (for example, was easier to drive) for no difference in price i reckon they'd pick the latter. Bear in mind that alot of 'average punters' push their car pretty hard (take a look next timeyou are out and about....i know soccer mums in territorys on the school run that look like they are shane van gizbergan in the top 10 shootout at bathurst.....

2. I reject the notion that that good handling cars aren't able to compete on their other atributes. Although slightly cheaper in most models, and having more kit in top spec models, the aurion is no better than the FG as a car. It has a lower ANCAP score, its interior is not any better, its fit and finish almost identical and its fuel economy much the same. As a car, it doesn't impress me all that much irrespective of how it drives. As for reliability, well the recent toyota recalls may not prove they are a 'dodgy' car company, but it goes a fair way to proving they aren't really any more 'durable' or 'dependable' than any other car make out there.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 15-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #22
glavas

there okay but there boring to drive no feel they just drive. they dront drive awosomely!!! the trd blown ones are very quick but massive talk steer like a mazda 3 mps
Old 15-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #23
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A compotent car, but hardly a 'game changer'

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Old 15-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #24
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:

In summary, feel that this is case of a good engine and transmission, being trapped in a poor chasis.
As in chassis you mean FWD as any car that has most of its weight (v6) on the front will ride hard and understeery, the concept of 4 cylinder FWD is not so bad a lot less weight on the front wheels.
Old 15-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #25
xr8ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
As in chassis you mean FWD as any car that has most of its weight (v6) on the front will ride hard and understeery, the concept of 4 cylinder FWD is not so bad a lot less weight on the front wheels.
I was referring to the overall feel of the car. It undertsteers way earlier than the BA, and due to the ESP, you cannot use the lift off oversteer that I have experienced in other front drivers to tuck the nose in. And because of that, you cannot carry the type of corner speed that you would expect. Its good up until about 7/10ths, then the ESP wrecks the party. Mind you, it may be a lot better if you could test the car without ESP.

Maybe the police versions have this ability?
Old 16-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #26
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
I was referring to the overall feel of the car. It undertsteers way earlier than the BA, and due to the ESP, you cannot use the lift off oversteer that I have experienced in other front drivers to tuck the nose in. And because of that, you cannot carry the type of corner speed that you would expect. Its good up until about 7/10ths, then the ESP wrecks the party. Mind you, it may be a lot better if you could test the car without ESP.

Maybe the police versions have this ability?
So you agree with me then? An inbuilt problem with the design, any six cylinder FWD will be like going for boat ride on land unless you over spring it with stiffer shocks.
Old 16-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #27
DK30RB

You can disable the Traction control in the Aurion when starting the car up. There is a certain procedure you need to follow in regards to pressing the brake etc. Not need to pull the fuses. Google it if you really need to know.
Old 15-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #28
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Toyota have changed the game simply by the fact that they are now obsessing with cutting costs, and as a direct result quality has suffered. Rampant outsourcing, under-manning production lines with key personnel and new processes designed to eliminate man hours have taken their toll specifically on the Avalon/Aurion/Camry.

A spate of foreign parts has accelerated the quality decline, and complacency on managements behalf has ensured the quality reputation so hardly won by Toyota in previous years has taken a beating.

Just as the US carmakers hit the skids years ago with bad quality, Toyota find themselves in the same boat however don't know what to do. This situation has been brewing for the last couple of years, especially since the newer models have arrived.
Whilst there is a litany of faults known to the general public through recent announcements of various recalls, Toyota bosses are more nervous and frustrated than a queer with lock-jaw on Valentines Day over the potential costs. Estimates have run into the billions of dollars, and are expected to go even higher once the class action suit is lodged in the USA against Toyota for wrongful Death/s.

Indeed, for the first time in history Toyota is needing to look to the USA for guidance, as companies such as Ford have just topped the latest J.D. Power quality survey. http://www.businessweek.com/autos/au...s_quali_2.html

Quote: