Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: can i do it??
yes 42 42.00%
no 8 8.00%
maybe 5 5.00%
i dont know 3 3.00%
i would like sum tachitos 42 42.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-02-2005, 04:55 AM   #1
WIKIDSTIX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default blowing away a vs on a budget, iz it possible??

heres the story, my mate has a vs commodore s pac, with a standard auto 6, the only mods hes got is a lukey exhaust. hes always going on about how hiz cars da bomb digety, and how its a pimpin ho ride.

now i thought this would be the perfect place to get sum suggestions on a car for around $2000 maybe a bit more, with mods thatl beat him!!, as long as its presentable, and realiable (coz i dun want sumfin thats gonna break down) i dun really give a shit about looks.

http://img194.exs.cx/img194/6629/mattscar5yw.jpg

http://img194.exs.cx/img194/6109/engine8mh.jpg

http://img194.exs.cx/img194/3120/dsc0171613di.jpg

id rather get sumfin small, maybe the size of an esky or gemini wagon.

so wat do u guys rekon, is it possible? am i dreaming? can i savatage his car, by detuning it sumhow?? :eclipsee_

*edit, btw hes not the best of drivers, so ive got that advantage over him

Last edited by WIKIDSTIX; 18-02-2005 at 05:02 AM.
WIKIDSTIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 05:02 AM   #2
THORNSPAWN
In the Forced 'lane

It's very possible but you won't get much change from $2000 getting any car with R/W and rego. I think a 6cyl Cortina would be your best bet, relatively light, bigger engine than VS to start with and cheap and easy to get respectable power from also parts are cheap. Don't bother with a gemini wagon even my turbo sedan could only just keep up with commo 6cyls.
THORNSPAWN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 05:09 AM   #3
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Yes i Agree with Ben, Cortina 6 cylinder easy to get cheap parts...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 08:24 AM   #4
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

A Healthy Xe with a 4.1 cross flow will keep them brutally honest. Being lighter A 4.1 Cortina is definately the go..

Last edited by Sylox; 18-02-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
Kryton

really its just another VS thats probably had the tits flogged off it. wait a few months and itll blow up and then you can beat it by walking.
if you really wanna put him to shame get something that looks like a total shitbox but will still pass a RWC. put different coloured panels on it as well. nothing hurts a Commo driver more than getting beating by a $500 shitter. dont forget to constantly rub it in either.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 10:44 AM   #6
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I sold my XF for $1000, it had a 351 in it.

You could buy a shitter XD/XE cheap and spend the rest putting a decent engine in it. But I wouldnt bother just buying a crap fast car so you can keep up with a 6 cylinder.
Let him beat you who really cares.Its only a V6 and street racing is bad. :

Last edited by dansedgli; 18-02-2005 at 10:46 AM.
dansedgli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Where is the option that says why bother?

Blowing off a VS 6 is hardly an achievement worth any effort. It would have bragging rights similat to .

- The best polo player in iceland.
- Running the best tuned stocker Mitsubishi Express SWB.
- Owning the longest piece of string in Coolac.

Forget about your mates ageing chariot and concentrate on what is the best ride for you. $2K too shut up some gobbler in a smokey ecotec only to find there is a million more similar dreamers out there. Put your $2k towards something decent.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 05:28 PM   #8
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Where is the option that says why bother?

Blowing off a VS 6 is hardly an achievement worth any effort. It would have bragging rights similat to .

- The best polo player in iceland.
- Running the best tuned stocker Mitsubishi Express SWB.

Forget about your mates ageing chariot and concentrate on what is the best ride for you. $2K too shut up some gobbler in a smokey ecotec only to find there is a million more similar dreamers out there. Put your $2k towards something decent.
True that!

Whatever mods you decide to do, don't spend money on your car just to compete. If you're gonna spend money on your car, do it for yourself and your own personal satisfaction. What will you do when the next 'faster' car comes along? Spend more to compete with him too? That's just my honest opinion
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 10:51 AM   #9
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

So you really want to buy a vehicle just to beat your mate's VS, oh my, why not save up for something that you want, something that look's smik and has a bit of go, something you can take pride in, then your vehicle will be the talk of the town and this will **** your mate of more than just beating his VS.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 10:55 AM   #10
neb
hibernating

if you bought a manual ea that would probably beat him, should be able to find one for less than $2000 easy enough. but i dunno about reliability with an ea lol
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 10:40 PM   #11
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
if you bought a manual ea that would probably beat him, should be able to find one for less than $2000 easy enough. but i dunno about reliability with an ea lol
Probably not. My old VS kept up with 2 highly modified manual EAs and absolutely spanked a stock MPI 5 speed EA. I have the later on video somewhere.

At the time mine was a bone stock VSII Berlina V6 auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.

Last edited by Kenaz; 19-02-2005 at 10:47 PM.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #12
big_pete
Sublime

get an EA (possibly S pac), ive seen them cheap as chips these days. and they go real good with exhaust/extractors.

failing that put some oil in his fuel tank ;)
Old 18-02-2005, 10:59 AM   #13
Kryton

Buy A Motor Bike.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 06:00 PM   #14
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Buy A Motor Bike.
lol beat me to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Agreed My cbr250 cost $2500 registered and rwc. It will eat up Vs 6 cylinders in a straight line.
It also eat em up around corners too :
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 11:10 AM   #15
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed My cbr250 cost $2500 registered and rwc. It will eat up Vs 6 cylinders in a straight line.

Even better idea buy one and make him race you to the inner city from the outer suburbs in peak hour, you will get there 25 minutes earlier.
Old 18-02-2005, 12:07 PM   #16
XRated
Shoot.

An EA with a manual. Just make sure it's multi-point injected. Even standard you should give him a scare if it's in reasonable condition. Throw in an exhaust, and a Wade regrind cam ($120 exchange) and you'd be laughing. Extractors would be pushing it on a budget though.

20V Turbo

Last edited by XRated; 18-02-2005 at 12:08 PM.
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 02:18 PM   #17
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And it seems more people just want some tachitos, so get to it, I'm hungry!
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 02:34 PM   #18
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does your mate live in a 2 man town in the middle of the desert or something? or maybe he was dropped on his head when he was a baby. Its just another bloody auto vs with mags i see about 5 of those 'pimpin' rides every time i go to the shops lol.

While you save for a decent car i would suggest going out for a cruise one night and watch him get wasted by various cars, that way you can sit in the passenger seat and rub it in "oh man your fully hektic VS with da big mag wheels just got toasted by a gemini" that should shut him up for a while.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 02:55 PM   #19
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This reminds me of the thread (on another forum) where a guy who spent all his money on the wheels and bodykit on his Nissan Sentra 2.0 litre, and didn't have enough left for performance mods to beat his mate's Lancer (I think). He wanted advice and they ended up changing the wheels back to stockies (which made it quicker), removed the bodykit and stereo (quicker again) and then started stripping panels and fittings then eventually the roof to get this average 2.0 litre running 0-100 km/h in low 6's, and a quarter in mid-high 14's.
It was obviously a big setup, but still funny how changing stuff from "better" ricey aftermarket parts back to stock made the car quicker
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 02:56 PM   #20
WIKIDSTIX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahahahaha well the reason why im only looking for about $2000 is because i need a car pretty soon for work, and when i save a bit i can gradually do it up.

does anyone know wat the power difference or which one is better between the 4sp manual and the auto is in the cortina? a conversion would be awesome *5sp manny, 4.1 mulitpoint efi I6 *droolz* lol

look at him hes a gringo - http://img78.exs.cx/img78/1367/0022ds.jpg (that explains everythin)

warning- contains gross fat black woman and weird man boobs
original- http://img78.exs.cx/img78/5854/bossbitch0260ti.jpg
my chop- http://img78.exs.cx/img78/7042/fdsfds9lh.jpg

hes a good mate, i just wana drag him off, coz he keeps beating me when im driving the 1985 corolla 4cyl bunky.
Old 18-02-2005, 03:21 PM   #21
Steffo
LPG > You

Any EA Falcon with the 3.9 MPFI engine will beat that Commodore.
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 05:56 PM   #22
WIKIDSTIX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
can anyone back that up? i thought they were shitboxes with the 3.9?

if i got a transplant, itd prolly be a 4.1 mpfi with a 5sp. even if i got a good 250, and turboed it. or maybe a 3.9 block with a 4.1 head (if thats possible).

i dunno wats the best option for an engine in a cortina. any suggestions?

hahaha a centura with a 265 would be mad, but hell expensive ova in wa to find a good one.
Old 18-02-2005, 06:01 PM   #23
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Yes I know 351 windsor motors were going into cortinas some years ago. Perhaps you may want to do that
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 07:51 PM   #24
Psycho Chicken
Banned

What's a dictionary worth? $12? Buy that and spend $1988 on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
oooooh now you've done it, you've ****ed off the Coolac String Collector's Society!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Bullshit. 3 speed with a 2.77 open wheeler would have no hope.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 03:21 PM   #25
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Where will you 'beat' him? On public roads? I have seen so many dickheads in VN/P/R/S dragging others its not funny. At least go to a real drag strip. Its raining here today, and suprise suprise already I have seen one VN/P commodore buried in trees.. how many more will get written off today..
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 03:37 PM   #26
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Theres another car thats medium sized and will dust stock V8's like the Xflow corty... the humble centura with a 245/265(R/T spec yehaa)in it, watch the faces on the latest V8 comi's/falcs drivers when you give them a real hard time... just dont expect to go around corners fast!
I sure if you looked you'd get a grampa's cenny for $500... spend $1500 on the drive train the parts are plentiful.
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 05:49 PM   #27
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Dont dick around with these other cars.A healthy xa xb ford with a 351 clevo will smoke alot of cars and sound awesome.Because they are older they normally have been worked.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 07:55 PM   #28
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST170ish
Theres another car thats medium sized and will dust stock V8's like the Xflow corty... the humble centura with a 245/265(R/T spec yehaa)
you bet me too it, the Centura is ugly and quick...very cool

maybe you could drop a 265 hemi into a Cortina? Have seen that swap in an XD before.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 08:05 PM   #29
big_pete
Sublime

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
you bet me too it, the Centura is ugly and quick...very cool
my mate had a centura with a 245, damn it flew. i think they look good.

my mums EA - 3.9 with 5 speed manual is very quick.
Old 18-02-2005, 05:54 PM   #30
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

let him win, he will be the first one past the speed camera !!!!
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post