Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-01-2007, 07:28 AM   #1
Guliver_TwiSt
Yes, laminge changed me

Default Focus Audio Upgrades

What are the standard speaker sizes in the ls focus at the front and rear. Could someone recommend some decent bang for the bucks speaker upgrades as well as a possible amp.. Also what woud be the approximate cost for the parts only.. (not interested in having a sub)

How much extra effort is there in sound deadening the doors, and what would be some cheaper alternatives. Is it worth doing?

Thinking of upgrading the head unit a little later on, as a friend has did this and the improvement in sound was very marginal, but the added features were impressive. I guess the power output of the standard unit is respectable.

Cheers!

Last edited by Guliver_TwiSt; 29-01-2007 at 07:55 AM.
Guliver_TwiSt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Bang for bucks you can't go past the jaycar response amps. They put out decent power and have decent quality.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guliver_TwiSt
What are the standard speaker sizes in the ls focus at the front and rear. Could someone recommend some decent bang for the bucks speaker upgrades as well as a possible amp.. Also what woud be the approximate cost for the parts only.. (not interested in having a sub)

How much extra effort is there in sound deadening the doors, and what would be some cheaper alternatives. Is it worth doing?

Thinking of upgrading the head unit a little later on, as a friend has did this and the improvement in sound was very marginal, but the added features were impressive. I guess the power output of the standard unit is respectable.

Cheers!
6.5" Both front and back, with tweeters on the front doors.

If your on a budget, go Jaycar Responce splits or Fusion green splits. Don't go Pioneer or Sony, you'll pay too much for what you get.

I can't recommend any higher end products, check out the car audio section of AFF or caraudioaustralia.

Sound deadinging the doors is a must. Your already going to the effort of taking off the door trims to put in new speakers so you may as well do it at the same time. Dynamat is the industry standard.

For the headunit upgrade, you'll need a special adapter to house the single din or double din headunit. (standard head unit is not a standard stereo size.

Chris
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
Jess85

i've got focals in my Fiesta..they're pretty good and not too badly priced either but i cant remember how much they were lol
Jess85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Guliver_TwiSt
Yes, laminge changed me

yea my mate has the facia they looks very stock. he got it from the uk or something, cost him around 20-30 bucks.
Thanks for the thumbs up guys!!
Also the Xr5 has 8 speakers, does it have the splits in the back as well, and is there an adapter that can be bought for the tweeters?
do you think its wise to put 6x9s in the back to add more base and make up for the fact that i wont have a subwoofer.
Old 29-01-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
do you think its wise to put 6x9s in the back to add more base and make up for the fact that i wont have a subwoofer.
if your worried about bass, just go a sub and be done with it. If you expecting decent bass from 6x9s, you will be greatly dissapointed.

You may want to consider what i did before i got a new h/u and gear... Buy a line out converter for the front speaker outputs, split the RCAs with Y adaptors, get a 4 channel amp (preferably with hi/low pass x-overs), bridge 2 channels (with low pass filter) to drive a 300W sub, other 2 channels to drive front speakers (with high pass filter on). This lets the sub do whats its designed to do best... BASS, and with the high pass filter on the fronts, you get much clearer sound from the stock speakers as they no longer struggle to pump the low frequencies. By all means, replace the speakers still to get even nicer sound. This way you get MUCH better BFYB.

Tom
Old 29-01-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

If you bought an new HU why did you use line converters and not the headunit preouts?
Old 31-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #8
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
If you bought an new HU why did you use line converters and not the headunit preouts?
let me quote what i wrote:

"You may want to consider what i did BEFORE i got a new h/u and gear... "

so yes, right now, i AM using my pre-outs as i HAVE the new h/u.

Tom
Old 31-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #9
Guliver_TwiSt
Yes, laminge changed me

Can anyone recommend a decent AMP and componenet speakers for the front and speaker for the rear for the focus, and a good palce online to buy them cheap.

Budget being around maybe...
300 for amp, 200 for front splits and 100ish for the rears (bought online)

thanks peeps!

I might buy the gear and then hassle mates to install for me he he he
also with the sound deadening, whats the best bang for ur buck, and how much extra mucking about is it to put this on. I dont mind buying over the net if it saves me pennies and I know with car audio it does. as an example my mate got a poineer bt9850 head unit form the us for about 450 and u cant find them for under 900 is aus etc...

Does anyone have any favourite online stores?:

CHEERS!!

Oli

I hear Bostonacoustics are a good brand for speakers ? and rokford are good for amps ?

Also would anyone here in Syd who has installed audio stuff into their focus before be keen on helping with the install for say a case or a bottle of their favourite drink

CHeers!!

p.s. a friend is keen to give me his 12inch sub cause he never uses it....
I'm planning to buy the gear in about 3-4 weeks..
Old 31-01-2007, 09:56 PM   #10
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

On a budget I would very highly recommend the jaycar response gear. Buy the 4channel response amp and bridge the rear channels to power the sub (If you can get it for free thats awesome). Get some nice splits for the front and amp them. Don't bother replacing the rear they are only for fill.

A headunit will give you greater quality but is probably out of your price range.
Old 31-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #11
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:

also with the sound deadening, whats the best bang for ur buck, and how much extra mucking about is it to put this on. I dont mind buying over the net if it saves me pennies and I know with car audio it does.

Does anyone have any favourite online stores?:
To be honest, you wont need sound deadening unless you're running huge thumping bass. Im running a 12" Kicker L7 and pulled over 140dB in an SPL test during the wear in period and the only rattles i hear are those of the rear licence plate when im outside of the car (even then its slight) and those of my garage and patio when the boot is open.

I got all my gear from JB HiFi and found the prices more competitive than those on the web, you get the goods then and there (no waiting period of lost mail) and you also get a warranty (which from my own and mates experiences, is virtually non existant when we have bought stuff online). The store i went to was MORE than willing to bargain, i came in with a price, told them what i wanted and how much i had to spend, was firm, they did their calculations, made a few calls and got exactly what i wanted for less than i budgeted for and threw in some freebies ( the prices they advertise are rubbish!!).

In terms of amps, ive had pioneer, sony and kicker, and kicker came on tops in looks, durability and performance. JB has kciker 350W 4 channel amps advertised for around $400, buy all your gear at the same time and watch that price tumble toward $300 and maybe get a extended warranty chucked in as i did with my monoblock sub amp.

Im currently running yellow cone pioneer splits and there are mightyyy fine, but are on the $500-$600 end of the market. Im picking up 5*7 infinity splits when i manage to get a day off work to add some quality sound for my rear passengers (is direct fit, no annoying panels to make up) for approx $150 from audiocom as at the moment, JB dont do infinity. Ive listened to the whole soundboard at audiocom and do have to admit, the high end response of the speakers is really something for their price!! These would go wonderfully at the fronts if lightly amped for your purposes, and would be nicely matched to the 4 channel amp i mentioned above.

As for your sub that you could possibly be getting from your mate, if its rated at around 300w peak, 2 channels bridged in the above amp would really get it thumping!

Ive done heaps of stuff to the stereo in both my EB Falcon which i had before and my Focus, its ALL been D.I.Y and have made panels, sub boxes and enclosures from scratch using MDF and the good old drawing board. Ive got dimensions for an amp enclosure in the boot, dimensions to fit 6" speakers into the doors, instructions on how to's, wiring diagrams, integration into other systems (PS2, bluetooth car kit, rear view camera). So if you wana do DIY( which isquite simple if you take the time) and need a copy of any diagrams, dimensions or general instructions on something, shoot me a PM and ill see what i can pull up for you...

Hope this was helpful

Tom
Old 31-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #12
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Sound Deadening is invaluable is your after sound quality. Obviously some people arn't but I would highly recommend it.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:44 PM   #13
raymon81

all ive done is hook up a Cadence mono block amp and alpine type S sub to my standard deck and it sounds awesome.
Lowered 30-35mm King springs, Custom leather interior, Polished standard 17s rims, Cadance monoblock amplifier and Alpine Type S sub woofer, clear reverse+fog+tail lights, Angel eyes and a few CHROMEEEEEE bits on my baby.
raymon81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 01:01 AM   #14
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

I've got myself a sub, all I need now is a amplifier.

Should I hook the amp up from the stereo unit or from one of the rear passenger doors?
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 09:20 AM   #15
photn
AFF Post NAZI

just use a line converter from one of the speakers. i sujust finding one that goes to the rear of the car Ie one of the back speakers, just incase. cause it sucks not having audio up front!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #16
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXtremist
I've got myself a sub, all I need now is a amplifier.

Should I hook the amp up from the stereo unit or from one of the rear passenger doors?
Let me know when you get an amp. ;)

But hook it up from behind the stereo and run it down next to the "transmission" tunnel. I'm sick of looking at the RCA cable between the door and the body.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #17
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

I'll try and get an amp before this weekend and I'll chuck a sicky on Saturday and we'll put it in
Old 06-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #18
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Buy the Response Amp from Jaycar. they are about 260ish and are just AWESUM!

i got one in my car.... absolutely the best. get the 4x100W ones.lots of power.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #19
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Huge thanks to Chris (BlackLS) for wiring up the amp for me yesterday under such short notice!

I owe you man!!