Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
GT2

Default Oil & Flat Tappet Cams

My understanding is that modern engine oils no longer contain zinc which is required for the longevity of flat tappet cams and lifters as used in older vehicles. Has anyone else heard of this?

I was reading recently that in the USA, they get around this by using oil made for diesel engines as the oil has the zinc content.

I'm interested in people thoughts and experiences?

GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Default Re: Oil & Flat Tappet Cams

Don't know, I run penrite hpr 30 in my old donk, would only use mineral oil for an old V8.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yea I have heard this, but the salty old guys running my type of old banger all sware byt HPR 30, so Ive been running that, mine doesnt have an oil filter so I change it every 2500km

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

The Penrite I use has a little label on the bottle mentioning added Zinc...
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
spannerman

Yup another one for penrite hpr 30
I was running castrol until I chewed a cam up (351 clevo)
engine guys recommended it after it happened
spannerman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah its correct that the roller cam oils don't contain zinc and that you do need it for flat tappet cams.

The blokes who did the machining on my 347 windsor made a point of telling me this to protect my new cam. They also asked me to bring my new cam in to check that the lobes were machined with a three degree taper to spin the lifters correctly as they have had a number of flat tappet cams fail in the last two to three years due to inaccurate machining. When I asked them why it is happening all of a sudden with flat tappets they said that the market for flat tappet cams is now so small that they no longer have priority with the major manufacturers and sometimes quality control slips. This coupled with the incorrect oils increases the risk of failure
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
JimStone

Another one for HPR 30, highest content I could find on the Australian market for the viscosity I need

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pd...C%20LEVELS.pdf

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/images/...20Bulletin.pdf

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdfs/0HPR%2030.pdf
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

I have heard of this also. A friend chewed out his Flat Tappet Cam in his XB GT because of this. He later found out about the lack of Zinc in new Oils. He ended up replacing his Cam with a Roller to avoid the issue. I did the same on my XB when I has the Engine rebuilt recently.

Apparently the removal of the Zinc was to do with emissions. Most (probably all?) new Cars run Roller Cams of some description now where the lack of Zinc isn't an issue. As someone else has stated, flat tappet Cams are such a small percentage of the market now they aren't a priority.

Some Oil available still has the Zinc in it (Penzoil do one I think) and you can also buy the Zinc Additive.

I have also heard that a lot of Cam Companies don't give a Warranty on Flat Tappet Cams now.

Is it worth moving this thread to the Worksop Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

What about lead? Was mentioned to me that zinc is one part but lead was also used as a form of lubricant and has been removed. Was a new one on me
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2 View Post
My understanding is that modern engine oils no longer contain zinc which is required for the longevity of flat tappet cams and lifters as used in older vehicles. Has anyone else heard of this?
All oils contain zinc. It's just that oils specified for new cars have lower levels of zinc like oils labelled as "low SAPS".

The good think about Penrite is that they label which of their products are "Full Zinc" or not. Although if you look at their latest oil summary you can see they have reduced their zinc level in HPR 30 quite a lot.
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pd...19th%20Nov.pdf

If anyone's worried, buy Classic light instead. It still has 1760 PPM

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pd...INE%20OILS.pdf
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Zinc dialkyldithiophosphates more commonly known as ZDDP were the principle lubricants in older oils for flat tappet camshaft engines.

They have significantly reduced levels of ZDDP over the years due to roller cams not needing it, along with the compound damaging cat converters.

I personally used Penrite HPR50 as their datasheet indicated (as above) that levels were sufficient for most flat-tappet engines.

Pennzoil GT oil has higher levels, but is no longer distributed here. Apparently Valvoline VR-1 has sufficient levels too.

Penrite Classic Light is defeintely the most suitable, just costs one of your kidneys.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2 View Post

I was reading recently that in the USA, they get around this by using oil made for diesel engines as the oil has the zinc content.

I'm interested in people thoughts and experiences?

Not following correct break in proceedure for flat tappet cams has probably caused as many if not more cam failures before the first 1000ks as not running an old school type oil.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post