Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Here's a steering wheel removal tip for ya...

When fighting with a stuck steering wheel that requires a bit of friendly persuasion with a hammer to get loose, be sure to loosen off the screws holding the volume and cruise control buttons first. If you don't there's a very good chance that the shock of hitting the column, while your knees are under and you're pulling on the wheel for leverage, will travel back through the steering wheel frame and EXPLODE the buttons resulting in a lap full of control buttons and broken plastic.

Guess who just learned this the hard way.DOH!!

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Esteven8

Default Re: Here's a steering wheel removal tip for ya...

Hence why I use a harmonic balancer puller to remove mine

I've a spare volume switch here you can have for postage if you need a new one. Unfortunately I don't have a spare cruise one.
Esteven8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Thanks for the offer Esteven8 but it was actually the cruise control buttons that disintegrated......murmur, murmur, grumble, grumble....

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 16-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I've found the AU wheels come off relatively easy compared to earlier Falcons.

I just wriggle it side to side and at the same time pulling, it eventually slides off.
I don't use a hammer as it might damage the shaft bearings.
Old 16-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
MrXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteven8 View Post
Hence why I use a harmonic balancer puller to remove mine

I've a spare volume switch here you can have for postage if you need a new one. Unfortunately I don't have a spare cruise one.
I'm with esteven8 harmonic balancer pullie way to go.
When a car gets past you, you just want to go after them, you want to chase them down, you want to pass them. It's primal. But then there's another side to it, where you just completely forget about all the other cars on the track, and you feel like you're in another world. It's just you, at one with the road and the car.

Eric Bana
MrXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Yup, I went out and bought one yesterday after the wheel resisted all attempts to remove it no matter what I tried.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 16-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
MAD
Petro-sexual

And don't take the centre bolt all the way off if you're pulling at it by hand.
I've heard a few stories of blood, and broken, noses.
Old 16-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Don't worry MAD, I've pulled many a steering wheel over the years and thought I knew how to go about it but this wheel for some reason just wouldn't budge which is why I resorted to the hammer. It was on so tight that the first puller I made using high tensile bolts and a bit of 6mm steel bar just bent the bar and still didn't budge. And the Stanley brand steering wheel puller I ended up buying also bent slightly before I persuaded the thing to come loose. I've never before seen a wheel on that tight. And after all that it seems to have been a waste of time but that's another story in another thread.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 20-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
sly
Sly like a G6

I dunno if this is right or not, but this little shortarse smartarse bloke who had the worst case of SMS I've ever seen, got up me once for using a hammer to loosen a steering wheel, because, according to him, the shocks from the hammer blows could collapse the steering column.

I really can't see how, I mean the hammering is in the opposite direction to the collision force that collapses the column.

But you just couldn't argue with this bloke. He knew everything. I've never met anyone else five feet tall so packed full of knowledge.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

It's a bit hard to collapse a column when you've got your knees under the wheel pushing up and you're pulling on the top of the wheel with one hand while you clout the column with the other.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 20-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #11
cop 5.6L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never use a hammer or steering puller, I just wriggle it side to side and up and down.
It sides off no problems, keep the bolt on a turn or two for safety, then remove completely once cracked.
cop 5.6L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2013, 02:59 AM   #12
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

BB, I have some spare buttons if you want them.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just did this to mine. Snapped the volume buttons off while being a bit too enthusiastic with my removal :(