Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Scraggles
Starter Motor

Default Importing a car from the USA

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has recently imported a car (30+ years old) from the USA, especially anyone who has since the latest import laws on importing modified vehicles (Basically you can't) came into effect.

I'd also be keen on hearing about the issues you faced, hurdles, hidden costs etc.

Thanks!

Scraggles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
glavas

my old man imported a 64 mustang over from america about 2 years ago. the roof got crushed during the shipping so he had to get that fixed. only cost him 10grand for the car
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraggles
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has recently imported a car (30+ years old) from the USA, especially anyone who has since the latest import laws on importing modified vehicles (Basically you can't) came into effect.

I'd also be keen on hearing about the issues you faced, hurdles, hidden costs etc.

Thanks!
I've heard about this ... what if it's got non factory mags on it?
or non factory sterring wheel ...how crazy is our customs going to get?
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Scraggles
Starter Motor

Those are the things I'd like to find out, also, what if say the original 383 has been replaced with a 440? If it looks original will they care...or even notice?

Surely there are cars on ships now that people must be sweating on back here in Oz?
Old 21-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
XT UTE 68
GIVIT Rally 84 BARRA XE

The latest word from the clubs I'm involved in is to seek approval from import authorites as to what you want to import first to see if it is allowed before you commit to buy the car and save yourself the agro. There are stories of guys who are forced to send cars back or destroy them as it cheaper than face the BS.
XE BARRA - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11382891 - 2007 GER Via Birdsville, 2008 via Broken Hill, 2009 via Cape York, 2012 via Karumba, 2014 via Innamincka, 2016 GIVIT RBR, 2017 via Boulia, 2018 Via Mighty Murray, 2019 Via Dig Tree, 2020 Via Thargomindah, 2021 Via Lawn Hill Gorge, 2023 Westmar - Gunnedah

Sponsors, London Fire & Safe www.fireextinguisher-and-safes.com, G&D exhausts and suspension Beenleigh , Beenleigh Bob Jane
XT UTE 68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
xboss

As I understand it, there is no recent changes to the rules, just changes to the way the rules are being interpreted and applied.
Have imported vehicles from USA twice in the past, the most recent one arrived in February this year. The recent one, a 68 Camaro had wider wheels, extractors and engine mods. No issues at all.
However i think this new interpreting of the rules has occurred since Feb / March.
There is an article in the latest Street Machine mag discussing the issue.
Bottom line, don't ship a car before you have the import approval in hand. Better still, don't finalise a sale until you have an import approval, if you can negotiate that with a seller.
xboss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
blueovalbits

Bottom line from what I've read it is a lot harder to import a car that has been modified after 01/01/1989. If you want to import a car that has been modified it is up to you to prove that the mods were done pre 89. These mods can be as little as lowering, mags or a complete respray. The final decision is up to a customs officer and it depends a lot on which one you get. Street machine article quotes one example of a 1932 Ford hot rod that was declined as from the photos supplied they could see if was a fibreglass body, not steel, and because the owner couldn't prove when the mods were made.
Talk to the authorities and do your best to gain approval before purchase and shipping.
blueovalbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
Scraggles
Starter Motor

The critical question then because the approval requires a VIN number, is how long does apporoval take, because your'e going to have to ask the seller to hold onto the car until it is approved.

Keeping in mind, this complete stranger has a significant wad of your cash AND your car and they both rest several thousand KM's away!

How have people handled the payment of their cars, do you use an agent who ensures the car is paid for, transported to the shipping agent and put on a ship?
Old 22-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
Cheech
HELL YES

Go here and if unsure give them a call:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...riteria_2.aspx

Cheech (Licenced Customs Broker)
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
cavvy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraggles
The critical question then because the approval requires a VIN number, is how long does apporoval take, because your'e going to have to ask the seller to hold onto the car until it is approved.

Keeping in mind, this complete stranger has a significant wad of your cash AND your car and they both rest several thousand KM's away!

How have people handled the payment of their cars, do you use an agent who ensures the car is paid for, transported to the shipping agent and put on a ship?
For what its worth I got caught by evilBay so never again.

Now use an Aus agent act for me, 2 cars to date, got what I thought I was getting at the price I expected. Contacts available if it helps.
cavvy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
Scraggles
Starter Motor

Thanks Cheech,

I just rang the department to clarify a few things.

Approval to import takes 30 days, yes 30 days! So you'll need to find a seller that won't mind storing it that long or, find somewhere to store it elsewhere such as at the docks'

or,

Take a chance on the approval and ship the car during the approval process. This is what I believe is tripping up some people.

Now, the person I spoke to on the phone was well aware of the 'horror stories' circulating lately and said they are all a beat up and that the whole process has only gotten where it due to a few individuals and she pointed the finger squarely at 'Hot Rodders', so I'm guessing all the 34 Ford's with 2009 Mustang running gear and fibreglass body boys have made it difficult for everyone.

I mentioned what if the car has been resprayed or had mag wheels fitted, she said that it should have no problems, I also mention engine replacement (in my case a 383 replaced by a 440) and she said that's fine.

From the website:

On the other hand, a vehicle restoration does not affect the original date of manufacture. For example, an original vehicle may have new paintwork applied, the mechanical components reconditioned or replaced and the interior reupholstered. An example is the restoration of a Model T Ford. Similarly, an original vehicle may be customised (eg, by unique paintwork) if kept within original specifications.

Basically, if it is structurally the same as it was in say, 1969 and doesn't have blowers and fibreglass panels etc then you should not have any issues.

Again, for those that missed it, it aapears (from the departments perspective) that the culprits of all the angst generated lately on this issue are the Hot Rod importers and that things like wheels and paint will NOT see your car held up at the docks. Any stories of cars being held up due to paint and mag wheels are baloney and there is probably something more to the story.
Old 23-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
Cheech
HELL YES

Other charges to watch out for:

Nil duty on > 30 year old vehicles.

Gst is payable on import. 10% of VOTI ( Price + Freight + Insurance + Duty)
VOTI (Value of taxable import) also includes any costs in preparing the car for export.

Eg.
Car US$15000
Freight US$ 2500
Ins US$ 250
Duty $ 0

Total US$17750 @ 0.81 = AUD 21913.58

Therefore GST payable on import = 2191.35

Customs entry fee $88.00

If its a full container it will need to be transported to an AQIS depot for unpack and inspection. Slightest hint of dirt on inspection will require steam cleaning by AQIS.

AQIS & AQIS facility fees $300 - ???

Shipping co local charges $300 - 600.

Customs broker fees $200 - 350

Towing from AQIS depot to RTA/compliance centre.
Old 23-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
JimNiki
71Mach1

good info mate. should open up a few eyes.
so before you know it, your 15 grand hobbie car has cost closer to 30 grand and it still needs a resto or partial.

I still reckon, you're better off buying local in some cases. Someone's that's done all the hard yards, RWC, compliance, conversion if need be and still get it at a reasonable cost. It does save a lot of heart ache for the noobs.
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #14
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

There is a write up in the latest street machine on this. I would be very careful now. I am sure in it they say about new paint etc. Have to prove its been done prior to 1989. I hope what scraggles found is correct, and as said they are probably just horror stories.
Old 23-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
Barra05

i know someone at the moment who is importing a Dodge Charger, the main Modification that is causing the dramas is the engine swap. If you import a 6 cyl car with a V8 converson, you need to prove it was done prior to 89, same as going from a small block V8 to a big block. In cases where you can't really tell the displacement you can get away with it (ie 289 to 302). The easiest way to get around the import approval if it has a different motor done after 89, is to get someone over in the US to remove the motor and drivetrain, pack the car and the motor/drivetrain seperate, but in the smae container, and you can import them both as "spare parts"
Barra05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #16
xboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech
Other charges to watch out for:

Nil duty on > 30 year old vehicles.

Gst is payable on import. 10% of VOTI ( Price + Freight + Insurance + Duty)
VOTI (Value of taxable import) also includes any costs in preparing the car for export.

Eg.
Car US$15000
Freight US$ 2500
Ins US$ 250
Duty $ 0

Total US$17750 @ 0.81 = AUD 21913.58

Therefore GST payable on import = 2191.35

Customs entry fee $88.00

If its a full container it will need to be transported to an AQIS depot for unpack and inspection. Slightest hint of dirt on inspection will require steam cleaning by AQIS.

AQIS & AQIS facility fees $300 - ???

Shipping co local charges $300 - 600.

Customs broker fees $200 - 350

Towing from AQIS depot to RTA/compliance centre.
Imported a 57 Chev convertible couple of years ago and got stung Luxury Car Tax because the $AUD value was over $57k.
xboss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #17
max_torq
From the Futura

Then there is the cost of local compliance.

This depends where you are registering the car. Qld is reasonably easy by the standards, other places are not. As well as modifications to the car, there are also engineer certificates required as well. A coupla grand should do it.
max_torq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #18
johnno3

Check with your State registering Authority for their requirements when registering an import. For example in SA if you want to register & drive a LHD import, the vehicle must be 30yo or older & remain stock, including paint, interior, engine, wheels, exhaust etc. No aftermarket modifications at all.

As for the latest horror stories, that has more to do with imported street rods built from scratch & their lack of indentity or overseas rego rather than classic car imports which have a factory id. There are no rule changes in importing motor vehicles, its just customs having a more thorough look at whats being imported.....& the shonky importers are none too happy about it....

2001 Honda VTR1000 SP-1
97 Honda XR400
Stored Projects
64 MK1 GT Cortina
66 Fairlane GT
johnno3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #19
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm...strange laws. I thought you would have been able to import anything with actually being able to register it being another issue. How then do you import race cars??
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #20
Cheech
HELL YES

To personally import a race car you need a certain class of CAMS licence.

There are other rules to be complied with as well. All info is here:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...les/index.aspx

Race cars for F1 GP are imported under a government convention (Event Status).
Similarly cars imported for Targa Tassie come in under this status.

NB. There are some motor traders who sell non-road registerable WRX's, EVO's, etc.
I have thought about buying one of these for track day use.

www.my105.com is a good place to start looking.