Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 08-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
valkyt6
Starter Motor

Default transmission table talk

Hi
after purchasing my focus second hand I realized the shuddering problem I was having was the leaking seals had contaminated the clutch,
the clutch and seals were replaced re-flashed under warranty and now seem to be leak free but the shudders still go on, its very embarrassing to take friends in my car having to explain why it does what it does

I'd like to think there was something else going on in the back ground adding to this dis-function

the odd thing is when its cold first start of the day the gear changes are great no shudders or harsh changes so why once it warms up does every thing goes crazy

are the solenoids that actuate the clutch pack up to the task when hot.
transmission computer readjusting to suit your driving style and loosing the plot in do so.
its seems the computer wants to change up to top gear (fuel saving mode) at any chance it gets and the clutches are being worked hard to keep up.
is there another software flash or setting to revise the multitude of gear changes
in sport mode it will resist to go to 6th gear as much
if it was the manual version I wouldn't be changing as many times as this my one does.
the flair between gear changes in the lower gears are noticeable long, shortening this timing maybe reduce the time the shudder can happen
I don't think I've brought anything new to table but I need to do the trade in value has gone down the toilet
regards greg
valkyt6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Default Re: transmission table talk

just down the page a bit Valky. I think what you do is depends if it has warranty or not. But have a read and make your mind up from that http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...399507&page=11 http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11429174

Last edited by olfella; 08-05-2015 at 02:03 PM. Reason: forgot link
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #3
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is an opinion on the VW Watercooled forum that Aussie buyers, used to traditional automatics, may be riding the clutches too much by doing the "rush hour creep" in dual-clutch autos. Euro buyers are more used to manuals, so it's more instinctive not to move until it's more than a few car lengths gap in front of them.

Just a thought, anyway.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #4
narooma98
Starter Motor

anyone that is trying to get a clutch replaced for a ford focus should keep hounding them as they do have them and they are very reluctant at giving them out id say a cost issue over the warranty , I have one being delivered to the dealership tomorrow.
its an awful shame that ford has got the option to keep all of there customers happy but all they seem to do now is **** IN THEIR LOYAL CUSTOMERS POCKETS.
I have had my clutch shudder for the last 23000 klms SO DONT GIVE IN TO FORD THEY DO HAVE THE CLUTCH PACKS RIDE EM DONT GIVE IN DONT SIT ON YOUR HANDS AND DO NOTHING DO SOMETHING
narooma98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by narooma98 View Post
anyone that is trying to get a clutch replaced for a ford focus should keep hounding them as they do have them and they are very reluctant at giving them out id say a cost issue over the warranty , I have one being delivered to the dealership tomorrow.
its an awful shame that ford has got the option to keep all of there customers happy but all they seem to do now is **** IN THEIR LOYAL CUSTOMERS POCKETS.
I have had my clutch shudder for the last 23000 klms SO DONT GIVE IN TO FORD THEY DO HAVE THE CLUTCH PACKS RIDE EM DONT GIVE IN DONT SIT ON YOUR HANDS AND DO NOTHING DO SOMETHING
Supply of clutches has been horrendous for quite a few months now, this is an international issue, not just Ford Australia.
It is only in the last couple of weeks that supply has been better, we still have around 15 orders outstanding.
Dealers WANT to replace your clutch, we do get paid to do warranty work, cost has nothing to do with it. It is a critical supply issue and also being able to get you a loan car (A mandatory Ford requirement) that may postpone your car being fixed immediately.
2015 LZ Focus ST, Frozen white with tech pack. Mountune intercooler, intake, Mountune sports cat, Mountune cat-back and Cobb stage 3 tune. FSwerks short shift and the best performance upgrade yet - Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. Quaife LSD.
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
KosCo

Thanks to partsguy for some inside information on the clutches.

I have a 2012 Focus that had the shudder problem and it was fixed. Have to say the car runs quite well now. I'd like to ask a couple of questions and hopefully get some more inside information.

Ques 1 - do the current (2015) Focus have the same gearbox shudder problems or has the problem now been completely eliminated? There don't seem to be many complaining since about 2014.

Ques 2 - slightly different question - would like to hear any feedback about the ecoboost engines that are now appearing on the scene. Any problems with these engines?

Thanks
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #7
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

The current 2015 focus still runs the same dry clutch set up, the new one (LZ) due out 3rd quarter will run a conventional 6 speed auto.
The ecoboost engines from my experience are brilliant.
I had a 2013 Focus ST as a demo for 3 months (5000 kms), a Fiesta ST that I bought for 9 months (too small for my needs, 11,000 kms) and I now have a two week old LZ focus ST, just clicked over 600 kms.
I have had no trouble with any of these, nor do I recall any coming through our workshop that had issues.
The power delivery is awesome, definitely improving after 5000 kms, the Fiesta came alive at 10,000.
2015 LZ Focus ST, Frozen white with tech pack. Mountune intercooler, intake, Mountune sports cat, Mountune cat-back and Cobb stage 3 tune. FSwerks short shift and the best performance upgrade yet - Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. Quaife LSD.
Old 18-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy View Post
The current 2015 focus still runs the same dry clutch set up, the new one (LZ) due out 3rd quarter will run a conventional 6 speed auto.
The ecoboost engines from my experience are brilliant.
I had a 2013 Focus ST as a demo for 3 months (5000 kms), a Fiesta ST that I bought for 9 months (too small for my needs, 11,000 kms) and I now have a two week old LZ focus ST, just clicked over 600 kms.
I have had no trouble with any of these, nor do I recall any coming through our workshop that had issues.
The power delivery is awesome, definitely improving after 5000 kms, the Fiesta came alive at 10,000.
Not trying to be argumentive Parts guy, and it is good you had a problem free run, but by the look of it most of your vehicles where pretty new with not many k`s on them , if you could say that no problems with any cars with 100,000 or 160,000 k`s or more it would hold a bit more water old mate.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #9
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

Yep. That's true.
I can't even say we've seen what you'd call higher k ecoboost cars through our dealership at all.
I guess only time will tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #10
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post

I have a 2012 Focus that had the shudder problem and it was fixed. Have to say the car runs quite well now. I'd like to ask a couple of questions and hopefully get some more inside information.

Ques 1 - do the current (2015) Focus have the same gearbox shudder problems or has the problem now been completely eliminated? There don't seem to be many complaining since about 2014.

Ques 2 - slightly different question - would like to hear any feedback about the ecoboost engines that are now appearing on the scene. Any problems with these engines?

Thanks
I have an ST with the ecoboost engine.....i have had an issue with idle hunting and stalling. There are a few other FF members that have experienced the same. Its a unnecessary fight with Ford to have it resolved under warranty. Even though Ford US have issued Technical Services Bulletin and a subsequent recall, Ford Aus have not reacted as yet.
Mulga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
mrpeter.daley
Starter Motor

If anyone has any feeback as per the the message below I would also like to know as I am at the stage of trading the bunny hopper for another car. I would interested in keeping in the focus family but I am a little concerned about buying a newer model of the Focus with the same problems. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post

Thanks
mrpeter.daley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 09:57 PM   #12
7fords
Starter Motor

My daughter took her Focus in reporting shudder (auto gearbox) the dealer confirmed the defect and stated " level of shudder exceeds acceptable, requires clutch replaced ". But she was told sorry no clutches available for a few months - we'll be in touch!!!. Meanwhile car is a pig to drive!! She got to drive a new Focus loan car, so knows how it should drive.
7fords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #13
JVC063

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeter.daley View Post
If anyone has any feeback as per the the message below I would also like to know as I am at the stage of trading the bunny hopper for another car. I would interested in keeping in the focus family but I am a little concerned about buying a newer model of the Focus with the same problems. thanks
My sons 2014 Shutters and less than 10000ks, going into Dealer next week
JVC063 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post