Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question What is a typical engine life???

As the title suggested, what would be the typical engine life of a ford falcon? This topic has always interested me since I got my first car off the old man (1990 XF ute, gave it to me with 410000km, now up to 495xxx). With the great advancements in electroics and precision engineering I would have thought the engine life would have dramatically increased.

I was also told that a V8 engine should last many more Km's than a 6 (either V6 or i6), due to the 8 cylinders in a V8 firing less times per cylinder that a 6. For example, say we a cruising at 2000rpm, this equals 33.33 revs per sec, or 5.55revs per cyclinder per sec for a 6. Now in a V8 at the same revs we would be revolving at 4.167 revs per cyclinder per sec. I know that we wont always be at 2000rpm, but in general, at any rpm, a 8 cyclinder engine will be revolving less times per cyclinder than a 6, hence a increase of engine life. So considering this, do you think a 8c engine has a greater life than a 6???

What are you opinions?

saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
webby_191189
low wagooon

How long is a piece of string? It all really depends on how the engine has been treated, has it been serviced regularly, did they use high quality oil ect..

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

I have heard of 6 cyl 4.1 motors doing up to 750,000 before being rebuilt . These were taxi motors and but most will do 500,000 before needing rebuilds if looked after ! I think most motors average around 3 to 4 hundred thousand though !

I usually freshen my clevo's about every 40 or 50 thousand. but they get driven hard , and rack a few burn outs in that time as well!

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber
do you think a 8c engine has a greater life than a 6???

What are you opinions?
no.

it all depends on how the engine has been treated and serviced.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
webby_191189
low wagooon

My EF I6 is up to 328,000 and is still on the original head gasket and has never had a rebuild where as my dads F100 with 351 clevo is up about 360,000 and has been rebulit once already and is now due for another

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #6
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

590,000 kilometres in a XE carby fed falcon:oil change every 5000 kilometres and filter every 10,000.

It all depends on how well the engine is serviced but a general rule is that a Falcon engine will always last longer than a Commodore engine simply because it's a low revving understressed engine it's like the car worlds equivalent of a Moto Guzzi.

Probably same deal for the old Kingswood motors me old man reckons they were pretty good engines but only if it was built properly in the first place.

Shame really that Holden didn't bother investing in it's six like Ford did.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
Conrad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby_191189
How long is a piece of string? It all really depends on how the engine has been treated
I was going to say this :(
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

In v8's the valve gear requires servicing before engine.. But most the time both is done...My old Clevo had one head, cam, service at 300,000 had klrs tmk its still going strong 12 years latter still pulling horse float all over Aussie...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Ford design the cars to last for 240,000km's or 10 years.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #10
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
I was also told that a V8 engine should last many more Km's than a 6 (either V6 or i6), due to the 8 cylinders in a V8 firing less times per cylinder that a 6. For example, say we a cruising at 2000rpm, this equals 33.33 revs per sec, or 5.55revs per cyclinder per sec for a 6. Now in a V8 at the same revs we would be revolving at 4.167 revs per cyclinder per sec. I know that we wont always be at 2000rpm, but in general, at any rpm, a 8 cyclinder engine will be revolving less times per cyclinder than a 6, hence a increase of engine life. So considering this, do you think a 8c engine has a greater life than a 6???
The pistons still move up and down once each rev reguardless of how many there are.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 08:48 PM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

What are you opinions?
ROFL.... 2000rpm is 2000rpm whether it's an internal combustion or the back wheel of a pushbike.

It's a bit like saying which is heavier, 1 tonne of Lead or 1 tonne of feathers