Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-06-2024, 10:02 PM   #1
LuxAu
Starter Motor

Default 355mm Non Brembo FPV Calipers Onto AU?

I have just purchased some of the "Blue FPV" calipers to go onto my AU3 XR8 Ute

They are 355mm discs (same diameter as FPV brembo) but they're a twin piston PBR caliper

My question is can I get away with the standard brake booster and master cylinder on the AU3 XR8?

I have fit 322mm XR6T/XR8 calipers previously with no problems and the pistons seem to be a similar if not the same size on the 355mm calipers as the 322mm calipers

I was going to stick with the 322mm upgrades but u also have some 19" FPV Dark Argent rims and like how the 355mm fills barrel of the rims
LuxAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-06-2024, 11:23 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: 355mm Non Brembo FPV Calipers Onto AU?

It's a bit of an interesting question.

The stock AU Falcon (from SII on) has a 230mm booster which is the same as was used from EA onwards so that's the same regardless of brake package. It has a 24.5mm MC bore and drives 2x42mm front caliper pistons and 1x40.5mm rear (AU1 was a little different).

AUII/III with premium brakes (not Brembo) and T-Series cars have a 25.4mm MC bore and drives 2x40.5mm (F) and 1x40.5mm (R).

AUIII Brembo (and BA) have a 23.8mm MC bore and drive 2x44mm + 2x40mm (F)and 2x30mm + 2x28mm pistons (R).

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2024, 12:07 PM   #3
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Those blue FPV calipers are designed for 325x32mm discs. Has someone changed the bracket to suit the Brembo discs?

Either way, the caliper is not the biggest change to the others you've had so should be fine, assuming it all bolts up and works.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2024, 01:28 PM   #4
LuxAu
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebaby View Post
Those blue FPV calipers are designed for 325x32mm discs. Has someone changed the bracket to suit the Brembo discs?

Either way, the caliper is not the biggest change to the others you've had so should be fine, assuming it all bolts up and works.

From BF onwards 355mm PBR was standard on FPV and 355mm brembo was the premium upgrade, only BA used the 325mm PBR as standard

Thanks for the reply also, I'm thinking it will be okay as the booster won't be pushing anymore than I already am using the 322mm brakes and yes it will all bolt up fine to AU2/3
Momo
Blue Print

AU2 Fairmont Ghia
Body Styling Kit
Sunroof
Momo
Sports Suspension
Organza
(Barra Turbo + T56 conversion in progress)
Old 09-06-2024, 01:28 PM   #5
LuxAu
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
It's a bit of an interesting question.

The stock AU Falcon (from SII on) has a 230mm booster which is the same as was used from EA onwards so that's the same regardless of brake package. It has a 24.5mm MC bore and drives 2x42mm front caliper pistons and 1x40.5mm rear (AU1 was a little different).

AUII/III with premium brakes (not Brembo) and T-Series cars have a 25.4mm MC bore and drives 2x40.5mm (F) and 1x40.5mm (R).

AUIII Brembo (and BA) have a 23.8mm MC bore and drive 2x44mm + 2x40mm (F)and 2x30mm + 2x28mm pistons (R).
Thanks Russel!
Momo
Blue Print

AU2 Fairmont Ghia
Body Styling Kit
Sunroof
Momo
Sports Suspension
Organza
Old 09-06-2024, 01:36 PM   #6
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAu View Post
From BF onwards 355mm PBR was standard on FPV and 355mm brembo was the premium upgrade, only BA used the 325mm PBR as standard

Thanks for the reply also, I'm thinking it will be okay as the booster won't be pushing anymore than I already am using the 322mm brakes and yes it will all bolt up fine to AU2/3
From BF onwards there was no PBR front braking package. Only 4 and 6 piston Brembo calipers.

Your PBR caliper, at least part of it, is from BA. I have the same caliper from PBR in red/black and it was optional for XR from Ford in all black. All to suit the 325mm discs.

People may have modified the bracket to run a 355mm disc but they would also need to paint it FPV blue so it matches.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2024, 04:08 PM   #7
LuxAu
Starter Motor

355mm PBR were standard and brembo was the performace upgrade

https://www.fordforums.com.au/vbport...articleid=1422

Russellw may be able to confirm as it's his techdoc I am quoting but I believe it's true as my mates BF GT has the standard brakes which measure 355mm diameter discs with PBR calipers (C6 I believe)

Also the calipers I have bought are also off a GT and brackets do not look modified, they're a factory cast style
Momo
Blue Print

AU2 Fairmont Ghia
Body Styling Kit
Sunroof
Momo
Sports Suspension
Organza
Old 09-06-2024, 05:37 PM   #8
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
355mm PBR were standard and brembo was the performace upgrade

https://www.fordforums.com.au/vbport...articleid=1422

Russellw may be able to confirm as it's his techdoc I am quoting but I believe it's true as my mates BF GT has the standard brakes which measure 355mm diameter discs with PBR calipers (C6 I believe)

Also the calipers I have bought are also off a GT and brackets do not look modified, they're a factory cast style
The M series has 6 piston callipers and 355 rotors I believe

The BA had 4 piston and 325mm
Old 09-06-2024, 06:45 PM   #9
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Taken from my database -

To summarize, 355mm rotors were never teamed with PBR calipers, they were always part of the Brembo brake package with either 4 or 6-piston Brembo calipers. This applies from AU III T-Series right through until FGX XR8 / XR Sprint.

The 325mm rotor used in AU II to BA II had machined circular groves, while the 355mm Brembo rotors were slotted and cross drilled.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2024, 07:48 PM   #10
LuxAu
Starter Motor

Thank you for that!

I'll stand corrected then they must be 325mm calipers, there was a whole heap of contradictory info on other threads and I must have only agreed with what I wanted it to be

Appreciate the info!
Momo
Blue Print

AU2 Fairmont Ghia
Body Styling Kit
Sunroof
Momo
Sports Suspension
Organza
Old 09-06-2024, 08:13 PM   #11
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Thank you for that!

I'll stand corrected then they must be 325mm calipers, there was a whole heap of contradictory info on other threads and I must have only agreed with what I wanted it to be

Appreciate the info!
Not a problem.

It took me a very long time to nail down all of those specs, and yes, there was a lot of contradictory info while researching.
Mustang GT

Old 09-06-2024, 09:27 PM   #12
NCII40
XR6T BA 2002

Yes, they are running the custom Race Brakes Sydney bracket to allow for the 355mm disc

Please post some pictures so we can have a look and give Matt a call at Race Brakes Sydney Site Sponsor for your discs, Pads and rebuild hardware needs
Old 09-06-2024, 09:44 PM   #13
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCII40 View Post
Yes, they are running the custom Race Brakes Sydney bracket to allow for the 355mm disc

Please post some pictures so we can have a look and give Matt a call at Race Brakes Sydney Site Sponsor for your discs, Pads and rebuild hardware needs
This one -

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11452132
Mustang GT

Old 10-06-2024, 09:29 PM   #14
LuxAu
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Thank you for the info! I've just sent Matt am enquiry through his website, fingers crossed!
Momo
Blue Print

AU2 Fairmont Ghia
Body Styling Kit
Sunroof
Momo
Sports Suspension
Organza
Old 10-06-2024, 10:48 PM   #15
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Thank you for the info! I've just sent Matt am enquiry through his website, fingers crossed!
Having dealt with Matt, I'm sure he will have you sorted.
Mustang GT