Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
MADED-6
MADED.6

Default gas system's for au v8's

well due to rising costs of runing my au i want to maybe put it on gas.
now it has a stroked v8 and twin throttle body setup and stuff so id need a pretty good system.
i was thinking twin b2 i think it is converters or the svi gas system.
my question is will these systems sort any form of power or am i better selling the au and getting a little car.
cheers josh.

MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Wait for liquid injection, that will be the go. What's the compression ratio of yours? I know in mine because it is high I would actually make more power by going over to gas as gas has a higher RON.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
MADED-6
MADED.6

mine is about 10.6ish:1.
im gonna go to a few places tomorow and get some prices and see what they say.
cheers josh.
Old 27-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADED-6
mine is about 10.6ish:1.
im gonna go to a few places tomorow and get some prices and see what they say.
cheers josh.
pfft 10 is low
Old 27-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
MADED-6
MADED.6

lol yeah i no.
whats yours?
cheers josh.
Old 27-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
lol yeah i no.
whats yours?
cheers josh.
Bit over 11, not quite sure on exactly how much though :
Old 27-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
MADED-6
MADED.6

yeah me either i got told around the 10.6:1 i recon higher as it has flat top forgies which i recon would be around what urs is.
i just looked on the gasresearch website i recon a twin converter setup would be alright.
cheers josh.
Old 27-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
yeah me either i got told around the 10.6:1 i recon higher as it has flat top forgies which i recon would be around what urs is.
i just looked on the gasresearch website i recon a twin converter setup would be alright.
cheers josh.
Wait for the liquid injection, even I'm considering that. Not from a money saving point of view but a power making one.
Old 27-06-2008, 11:57 PM   #9
MADED-6
MADED.6

yeah i might but how much is that kit going to be any1 know.
and im not doin it for more power i do want more but a tune now would give me that.
i honestly need to save money on fuel or sell the car.
cheers josh.
Old 28-06-2008, 01:56 AM   #10
Bolly
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to fit gas on cars and found that stastic gas systems like Gasreserch are useless....You get less kilo`s per litre and you loose top end power by 25%..even worse when towing something heavy..I even installed daul Converters on a 350 chev and that only helped a bit.. The best set up was using a 425 Impco system on the chev, but still lacked top end performance and economy...
The only gas system that i would use for my car (AU2 XR8 ) is Liquid gas injection system.. This system will give you great top end power and great Economy, basically
it would perform as good as using 98% octane petrol..But here`s the cruncher, that sought of system is around $5,500 fitted..
Cheers
Bolly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 02:39 AM   #11
MADED-6
MADED.6

yeah all mixer ring setup will loose power up high but i need it to save money not gain power.
although i dont wanna loose 25% power i will keep it duel fuel so i have the option of power if i want it.
also would i have to get it tuned with the capa flasher when i get the gas put on.
reason i ask is i have to go in for a tune soon anyway maybe i will wait and get it tuned after the gas.
cheers josh.
Old 29-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #12
MADED-6
MADED.6

anyone have a factory gas setup off a au v8 and have any info as in how much power they could handle and also how they run on gas?
i can get a factory gas set-up for a good price and then all i have to do is get a gas fitter to fit lines and stuff and i get a certificate then i get the $2000 rebate.
and if it wont flow much power at all i may go for a twin converter set-up.
cheers josh.
Old 29-06-2008, 11:01 PM   #13
TX3VIL

any info on these said liquid injection setups? from what i've read on other forums, direct liquid injection is just a myth and is yet to be proven as a working saleable system for any vehicle. as much as the theiry sounds good, as far as i know it doesn't work due to the injection system freezing up. was really interested in the concept about a year and a half ago, but completely lost interest when it was explained to me by a couple guys that i just cant be done. is there a website or a company that is actually selling it now?

also if u google it, all the companys that seem to be trying to patent it are still crying out for sponsorships for research and developement. probably meaning they've hit a deadend and cant get it to work properly
TX3VIL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 11:03 PM   #14
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3VIL
any info on these said liquid injection setups? from what i've read on other forums, direct liquid injection is just a myth and is yet to be proven as a working saleable system for any vehicle. as much as the theiry sounds good, as far as i know it doesn't work due to the injection system freezing up. was really interested in the concept about a year and a half ago, but completely lost interest when it was explained to me by a couple guys that i just cant be done. is there a website or a company that is actually selling it now?
I think it's a mob in Melbourne called LPG Warehouse or something.
Old 30-06-2008, 01:56 AM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
anyone have a factory gas setup off a au v8 and have any info as in how much power they could handle and also how they run on gas?
i can get a factory gas set-up for a good price and then all i have to do is get a gas fitter to fit lines and stuff and i get a certificate then i get the $2000 rebate.
and if it wont flow much power at all i may go for a twin converter set-up.
cheers josh.
I had my AU XR8 (rated at 140rwkw) converted to gas. It was a Landi Renzo mixer/converter with Mixer ring in the TB, and ran a balance pipe setup. Also started on petrol and switched to gas at 1500rpm, etc, etc. Anyway, long story short, I only lost 6rwkw, and I got 350km out of 60 litres of gas, so I was very happy with it. Probably shouldn't have sold that car, but you get that!!!

With yours being a 347, you may indeed lose something up top, but if all you want the gas for is to cruise around town cheaply, then you can do the "up top" runs on petrol! Gas works really well up to 4000rpm easy, though from there, it may get a bit breathless on a stroker.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2008, 02:47 AM   #16
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

Its more about getting a system too breath well enough and supply enough gas in order to stop you loosing power. i'm making a twin throttle body intake for mine at the moment, but for temporary use i'm just going to put a single omvl converter on it to save me money now. Running lean on lpg isn't a problem like petrol, you just loose power.

Not 100% on factory converter, but i think they flow a bit over 300hp.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #17
MADED-6
MADED.6

well spoke to a few people today 1 place said they will adapt a ba boss motor vapour injection kit onto my car for $3800 and garuntees no power loss and has a dyno that will do petrol then gas runs.
another said this sprint gas (theyre european) for a mixer ring setup will be $2600 and said shouldnt loose more than 5% power.
now everyone i spoke to said a single converter will handle my power which after a tune hopefully will be 220rwkw+.
but i told them im only getting it to drive to work and back if i go to the drags or anything i can flick it back to petrol.
so yeah im still thinkin about it i think ill go the old mixer type.
cheers josh.
Old 30-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #18
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you may have trouble getting a mixer system on a car with twin throttle bodies...the normal mixer systems have a mixer that goes over the outside of the throttle body, and this wouldn't fit a twin t/b setup...then again, how big are they? like old windsor f150 ones? mixers are available for these no problems at all
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2008, 10:39 PM   #19
MADED-6
MADED.6

well im not sure everyone i rang said it wouldnt be a problem.
they are the factory 65mm throttle bodys.
cheers josh.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:57 AM   #20
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

there wont be a problem with twin t/b'swe have done a few v8 aus with little power loss on mixer system. we have done a couple of them on SVI as well, works a treat, but about $1000 more then mixer setup. we have a wait time of 2 1/2 mths currently but if your interested, we are on the sunny coast in qld and one of the biggest fitters in australia. if you want to know more, give us a call on 13004LPGAS (1300457427) or have a read through the LPG section in the forums.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #21
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3VIL

also if u google it, all the companys that seem to be trying to patent it are still crying out for sponsorships for research and developement. probably meaning they've hit a deadend and cant get it to work properly
You've been reading a lot of BS. Vialle has had a working LPI system for years which hasn't been able to be sold here due to the patent dispute. Ford tested it on a BA I6 and got a power increase of 3kW at the flywheel. The ICOM LPI system is available (in Melbourne initially) starting today. Have a look in the LPG forum on this site for the lowdown.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post